Western Digital Acquisition of SanDisk Receives Approval from China's Ministry of Commerce

HardOCP News

[H] News
Western Digital® Corporation today announced that it has received regulatory approval from China's Ministry of Commerce in connection with the planned acquisition by Western Digital Technologies, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital, of SanDisk Corporation. The MOFCOM decision completes the regulatory review process required for this transaction. Western Digital expects the transaction to close on Thursday, May 12, 2016. The transaction has also received regulatory approvals in the U.S., E.U., Singapore, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, South Africa and Turkey. Western Digital and SanDisk shareholders voted to approve the transaction at their respective special meetings of shareholders held on March 15, 2016.

Wonder if this means Western Digital will be releasing WD-branded SSD models. I'd be OK with that...smart move if they do, because WD is now a common household brand name, thanks to their huge push in the consumer retail segments for external storage.

Seeing as how SanDisk makes pretty good products, I can only see this as a positive acquisition. WD might keep the SSD branding separate to differentiate enthusiast storage solutions from their rainbow hard disk options. Although I can picture them putting out WD Black and Blue SSDs.

Back