Wes Craven, Hollywood Horror Master, Dead At 76

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sad news for the horror genre. The Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream director died today after a battle with brain cancer. He was 76. What is your favorite Craven film? One of mine is New Nightmare because I thought it was a clever take on the mythology, and Craven himself returned to direct it.

Craven, the artist behind “Nightmare on Elm Street,” the “Scream” movie series and many other modern horror masterpieces, remade the genre in contemporary film. Craven reinvented the youth horror genre in 1984 with the classic “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” a film he wrote and directed that starred a then-unknown Johnny Depp. He conceived and co-wrote “A Nightmare on Elm Street III: Dream Warriors” as well.

Was a big fan of his work when I was a kid renting horror movies on vhs tapes.

Lets hope he was haunted byt the spirit of Christ on before he died and he repented...:D

He was a master of the genre ... I loved in Scream how they gave us all the rules of the Horror movie right before they turned each on its ear ... RIP

The suit he dreamed up? Brain cancer? I can believe it!

And, now that he's dead, he'll stalk us in dreams. More powerful than ever.

Nightmare 1, 3, and new nightmare are the 3 best Nightmare films.

Still to this day there really isn't anything like them in terms of story and the atmosphere.

I remember seeing the 3rd one when I was quite young, staying up late one night and it came on, scared the heck out of me and had nightmares for weeks.

It was this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabwGWpvBUo

Creeped me the hell out.

People under the stairs was great too, and even remember liking "Shocker" too.

Rules to succesfully survive a horror movie:

You may not survive the movie if you have sex.
You may not survive the movie if you drink or do drugs.
You may not survive the movie if you say "I'll be right back", "Hello?" or "Who's there?"

Hang on a minute ... I'LL BE RIGHT BACK :p

Just watched scream 1-3 the past month for fun. As shitty as scream 3 was especially I still enjoyed how they constantly make fun of horror movies throughout the films especially 2 and 3. Makes them almost bearable.

The suit he dreamed up? Brain cancer? I can believe it!

And, now that he's dead, he'll stalk us in dreams. More powerful than ever.

Don't think he was suffering for the last 30+ years.

RIP????

More like RIT!!!! ROT IN TERROR. (Nothing against the man, but he was the master of horror!!!!! :D)

You guys really liked New Nightmare?

I mean it was okay but it did not really have the gruesome gross-out spirit of the older flicks. I also think Freddy's Dead (aka Freddy 6) was the last great Freddy film and even then it was starting to get a little too old for the cheesy fantasy horror stuff.

You guys really liked New Nightmare?

I mean it was okay but it did not really have the gruesome gross-out spirit of the older flicks. I also think Freddy's Dead (aka Freddy 6) was the last great Freddy film and even then it was starting to get a little too old for the cheesy fantasy horror stuff.

I liked it because it took a formula that was getting stale and cliche and flipped it on its head.

It made the actual "Story" interesting again and wasn't just another Freddy movie with him cracking one liners.

The same way Scream took the slasher genre and flipped it around.

Back