Were you one of the million banned from Xbox Live?

I got banned, but I don't really care all that much.

First of all, I knew even before I hacked the console that it was a possible. If I was really that worried about it I wouldn't have even bought the 360, let alone mod it.

Second, I paid about $150 about a year and a half ago for the used 360 at gamestop. As soon as I got it home and made sure it worked, I opened it up and modded that sucker. Between then, and when I got banned last week, I've played/finished with about 7-8 games, all were going for $60 a pop when I acquired them. Thats around $300 in savings. That's why people hack their xbox even knowing they will be banned sooner or later.

Now that I'm banned, the only thing I really miss is the ability to install games to the HDD (a modded 120 GB drive I made myself), and to a lesser extent some of the XBLA content. I couldn't care less about playing multilayer games.

If I do decide to go out and spend $200 on a brand new 360 arcade (with an HDMI port) I'd hack that one too, as soon as the new firmware is released.

One of the reasons that banning only once per year is not that effective. People justify the savings over the entire year and just buy another one. If they really wanted to curb it they should disable the xbox completely and do bans more frequently.

someone should turn your sorry pathetic excuse for a life over to the local pd.......

they have more important things to worry about than someone pirating games.....?

you people scare me far more than pirates

they have more important things to worry about than someone pirating games.....?

you people scare me far more than pirates

if he pirates games, makes me wonder what else he is doing......

you know in NYC they had a policy of only going after large crimes. and then they changed to a policy of going after the small crimes....soon after they found that the crime rate dropped significantly as they were locking up the people for the little stuff before they could commit the bigger crimes........

you know in NYC they had a policy of only going after large crimes. and then they changed to a policy of going after the small crimes....soon after they found that the crime rate dropped significantly as they were locking up the people for the little stuff before they could commit the bigger crimes........

yea......... so people who pirate games are the same people robbing stores and assaulting people? really? REALLY?

Yep, let's lock up everyone who pirated MW2 before they start kidnapping, raping, and murdering!

Are you serious dude? You're insane.

BTW : If you put everyone in jail, of course the crime rate is going to go down. BECAUSE EVERYONE'S IN JAIL.

OH SHIT!

I was just about to hold up a Gamestop at gunpoint tomorrow too.

And BTW, they do ban waves every 6 months or so. This past wave just happened to be the largest which is why it got to much media attention.

It's not about how much live costs, it's that you have to pay for it at all when Steam and PSN are free

all three have pluses and minuses, why is it that some folks (not picking on you really) have trouble accepting that the majority of people who pay for and enjoy XBL are just voting with their wallets that they approve of the service?

Steam doesn't have the ease of use that XBL does not to mention it isn't comparable because it's pc only, and all the PSN has done is add features that XBL offered for years.

Which ever one you prefer is just that. If XBL wasn't worth the $30 a year that I have paid for it (by buying it on sale only for yeas) I wouldn't continue to do so. The only thing I use steam for is archiving my games and getting awesome deals when they come around every other weekend or so.

It's just a choice people make, and tons of folk on this forum love overdramatizing it for some reason.

In my case, because of the social link to my friends who've moved all over the country and the party chat feature it offers for all of us to get together in one place and chat while we sit and play games anyway, I would never dream of modding my 360.

some people do, but as it's been stated by many in this thread alone, thats not a value so they assume the risk and most here seem to at least accept the consequences that may result.

yea......... so people who pirate games are the same people robbing stores and assaulting people? really? REALLY?

Yep, let's lock up everyone who pirated MW2 before they start kidnapping, raping, and murdering!

Are you serious dude? You're insane.

BTW : If you put everyone in jail, of course the crime rate is going to go down. BECAUSE EVERYONE'S IN JAIL.

LOL +1

It's funny. If you walk into a store and steal $400 worth of stuff, assuming you get caught, your ass goes to jail and you get a record. You might find it a little harder to get a job later on down the road.

If you steal $400 worth of video games on your X-Box, the most that happens is your system gets banned, and you're forced to buy another one. If you're one of those guys who burns and resells pirated copies, then you might attract a little more attention, but hey, people still get away with it.

It's funny. If you walk into a store and steal $400 worth of stuff, assuming you get caught, your ass goes to jail and you get a record. You might find it a little harder to get a job later on down the road.

If you steal $400 worth of video games on your X-Box, the most that happens is your system gets banned, and you're forced to buy another one. If you're one of those guys who burns and resells pirated copies, then you might attract a little more attention, but hey, people still get away with it.

And that is how it should be. Pirating a game is nowhere near as bad as walking into a store and taking the game off the shelf.

And that is how it should be. Pirating a game is nowhere near as bad as walking into a store and taking the game off the shelf.

Are you serious, or did I totally miss the sarcasm?

(Forgive me, I'm about to end a mind numbing 10 hour shift.)

And if you steal billions, you get a fat bonus. :(

all three have pluses and minuses, why is it that some folks (not picking on you really) have trouble accepting that the majority of people who pay for and enjoy XBL are just voting with their wallets that they approve of the service?

Steam doesn't have the ease of use that XBL does not to mention it isn't comparable because it's pc only, and all the PSN has done is add features that XBL offered for years.

Which ever one you prefer is just that. If XBL wasn't worth the $30 a year that I have paid for it (by buying it on sale only for yeas) I wouldn't continue to do so. The only thing I use steam for is archiving my games and getting awesome deals when they come around every other weekend or so.

It's just a choice people make, and tons of folk on this forum love overdramatizing it for some reason.

In my case, because of the social link to my friends who've moved all over the country and the party chat feature it offers for all of us to get together in one place and chat while we sit and play games anyway, I would never dream of modding my 360.

some people do, but as it's been stated by many in this thread alone, thats not a value so they assume the risk and most here seem to at least accept the consequences that may result.

All XBL did was add features Steam had for years, so that argument is kinda dumb.

Why does PC only matter at all, XBL is xbox only, and PSN is PS3 only. We are comparing three services on three different platforms, the exclusivity of one to the platform can't be discounted just because.

infact, pirating a game is simply copying a game off someone. a bit like the old days where you would bring blank cassette tapes to your mates house and copy the albums his got.

i bet most here don't even know what a cassette tape is.

VHS? same damm thing. The people who deserve to go to jail are the ones who hack/crack it. not the ones who simply copy it from others. Blame the source. Its a bit like a drug dealer, A drug addict wouldnt always go to jail but the guy selling it does.

yep, copying some 1's and 0's off of somebody doesn't really cause any losses to anyone, unless you want to go into the theoretical realm of "but he would have bought it! that's a lost sale!" bullcrap which isn't true 99% of the time, because people will pirate things just because theyre free, but they'd never actually pay for it.

where as going into a store and stealing a game off the shelf costs the store, the developer, the publisher, etc money. Because there's a physical item involved and in that case, yes, they lost a sale and also the cost of manufacturing the item.

Or they were committing both small and major crimes at the same time...cause if your commiting major crimes...whats a small crime to you? Much easier to bust people for smaller crimes...really hope you dont believe the bullshit you just spewed out.

You're not very bright, are you?

All XBL did was add features Steam had for years, so that argument is kinda dumb.

Why does PC only matter at all, XBL is xbox only, and PSN is PS3 only. We are comparing three services on three different platforms, the exclusivity of one to the platform can't be discounted just because.

Not really dumb, since I'm discounting steam in the argument entirely just as you did when you offered XBL as an inferior choice to the other two based on the "free" factor. I agree with you that they aren't comparable, but you did, and so does everybody else, and that's where these discussion begin.

Steam absolutely did not start out as it is now. Maybe through rose colored glasses, but as someone who's used it since it's inception it wasn't always what it was today. Whats really funny is that Xbox Live came out before Steam. So now who's argument is dumb? ;) Both have grown and improved over the years, and I really can't remember who added what when, so I'll leave that one to the wind.

The reason a lot of folks knock PS3 copy catting XBL features is because of how lacking it was at debut, where the answer to that was "it's free"

a lot folks get their dicks tied in knots over this stuff, the main point of the post was "to each their own"

I use all three, own a competent gaming PC, still don't view Steam as the social networking platform that XBL is, recently sold the only games I had for PS3 because I hate the damn controller but love the blu ray and HTPC features.

All I can do is shrug when people crow about one thing and eschew all others. All three are great to different people for different reasons.

*shrug*

Last edited:
what in the hell do you need "social networking" on your xbox for? i thought it was for playing games and watching movies? maybe listening to music?

do people seriously like... look for women and set up dates on xbox live?

You're not very bright, are you?

lol

yeah cause we all know that smaller crimes never lead to bigger ones.........

I am willing to be that people who pirate stuff do a lot more shadey stuff than that.....(based upon seeing it first hand with my own friend's kids)

lol

yeah cause we all know that smaller crimes never lead to bigger ones.........

I am willing to be that people who pirate stuff do a lot more shadey stuff than that.....(based upon seeing it first hand with my own friend's kids)

Pirating things is the norm nowadays.

It's like saying everybody that jerks off is a crazed sex fiend.

I knew a guy who did heroin all day long. That's all he did. And yet he never broke any.. other.. laws, had a job, paid taxes, and he even lived in a house, and not a trashcan!

I didn't even read the entire thread but I do want to say one thing.

It's about Fucking time Piracy on Consoles is getting legitimate press! I am an older PC gamer but I do have a PS3 and have had all of the older consoles. It was getting really old with developers and some gamers blaming piracy on PC's and ignoring the rampant console piracy. I understand they make more $ on consoles but it's only a matter of time before piracy becomes as big an issue on consoles as it supposedly is on PC's. If you think otherwise your an idiot.

I didn't even read the entire thread but I do want to say one thing.

It's about Fucking time Piracy on Consoles is getting legitimate press! I am an older PC gamer but I do have a PS3 and have had all of the older consoles. It was getting really old with developers and some gamers blaming piracy on PC's and ignoring the rampant console piracy. I understand they make more $ on consoles but it's only a matter of time before piracy becomes as big an issue on consoles as it supposedly is on PC's. If you think otherwise your an idiot.

I'd argue that piracy is more widespread in the PC world than it is in the console world.

my friends brother had a closet full of pirated dreamcast/psx games back in like 2002

That's funny because I had a friend whose brother also had a closet full of PSX and DC RPGs.

what in the hell do you need "social networking" on your xbox for? i thought it was for playing games and watching movies? maybe listening to music?

do people seriously like... look for women and set up dates on xbox live?

Thats what im wondering. All this party chat etc etc are all just additional features but when it comes down to actuall online gaming, imo steam offers the bests ervice as you can browse online lobbies filled with dedicated servers.

I own both a PS3 and Xbox 360, and PSN is a total joke compared to Xbox Live. I would much rather pay 50 bucks a year for an online service that doesn't suck than have to deal with a crappy free one. On the topic of piracy, although its not as big a problem as consoles as on PCs its definetly out there. In Jamaica you can pay a guy less than 50 bucks to mod your Xbox so it plays anything you want. I haven't done it personally, but the channels are out there and not exactly secret. Hell, that same guy will sell you pirated Xbox games on DVDs if your net sucks.

I own both a PS3 and Xbox 360, and PSN is a total joke compared to Xbox Live. I would much rather pay 50 bucks a year for an online service that doesn't suck than have to deal with a crappy free one.

just because PSN sucks doesn't mean that a free service couldn't be good

Either way you slice it people like different things. that's why we have so many choices.
I have XBox live, Steam and XFire and honestly i cant make a choice of what one is better cause they all have there good points and bad.
So what if some of us pay for Live, it's our money.

Last edited:
Either way you slice it people like different things. that's why we have so many choices.
I have XBox live, Steam and XFire and honestly i cant make a choice of what one is better cause they all have there good points and bad.
So what if some of us pay for Live, it's our money.

Thats not the point people are making. The point is that people here think that because you pay for xbox live while others you dont, It is a far superior product which is not good imo.

People act as if xbox live is the best thing since facebook and argue why you need to pay it compared to steam and psn which offer a similar service.

serious wake up lads. xbox live is good but so is steam and psn

Thats not the point people are making. The point is that people here think that because you pay for xbox live while others you dont, It is a far superior product which is not good imo.

People act as if xbox live is the best thing since facebook and argue why you need to pay it compared to steam and psn which offer a similar service.

serious wake up lads. xbox live is good but so is steam and psn
Some people prefer XBOX over PC and PS3. I cant understand what is so hard to understand here.

Sorry but from what i see in previous posts, someone mentioned how people are crazy to pay for Live when there are free services on other platforms. All i see are XBox live users defending what they prefer cause a non user commented first :D.
Funny i have no problem paying like $4.00 a month for live to play all my 360 games online. Unlike games like WOW and AOC that are like $15.00 a month and that's for 1 game on the PC :D.

Having to pay for xbox live to play any game online is what people should be upset about in the first place.
That is what started the whole thing about people paying for Live. Just retarded if you ask me. As I said before. It's our money, so what if we want to pay for Live.

I own both a PS3 and Xbox 360, and PSN is a total joke compared to Xbox Live. I would much rather pay 50 bucks a year for an online service that doesn't suck than have to deal with a crappy free one..

M$ Office 2007 is expensive, and very nice

But Open Office, which is free, can do very similar stuff, and still allows you to make word/ppt/excel documents.

Obviously, OO isn't as good (I'm a diehard Linux user, but honestly Linux user's we all know it doesn't compare) as M$ Office, but it's free and works

Just saying..

What a bunch of idiots. If you're going to play pirated games at least don't log on to xbox live. Or at least get 2 x boxes. 1 for bootleg games and the other for online.

Some people prefer XBOX over PC and PS3. I cant understand what is so hard to understand here.

Funny i have no problem paying like $4.00 a month for live to play all my 360 games online. Unlike games like WOW and AOC that are like $15.00 a month and that's for 1 game on the PC :D.

Name me a mmo game that's free to play on the 360.

I think that Microsoft had no right to do this. This is too harsh of a move. All those banned should collect in one big blob, hire some really good lawyers and open a collective lawsuit against Microsoft.
I never owned an Xbox, but I think this is very unjust. Sure, pirating is wrong. But since someone owns the console, that someone has the right to modify this console any way he likes even if that is "illegal" by the manufacturer's standards. You don't see car companies breaking cars that were "modded" by their owners, do you?

One can argue, that this case is different, because these people connected to Live with the intent of playing a pirated game through multiplayer. But then I dare you to prove beyond reasonable doubt that each and every one of these people connected to live to play games!!! What if I modded my Xbox 360 simply for the challenge of doing so? What if I don't have a single pirated game, and I connected to live to update... or maybe I just connected to Live for the heck of it? What if I connected to download a DLC or a demo? Having an alternate firmware would ban my xbox anyway, no?

Back