Were Stock Issues this Bad for Previous Gen Cards?

Schmave

[H]ard|Gawd
Admittedly, I haven't been in the market for a GPU upgrade for the last few product cycles, but I am now, so I've been closely watching the supply of both the RX 480 and GTX 1060 at e-tailers for a few weeks now. Both types of cards are almost always out of stock (except for the 1060 FE on Nvidia.com), and when they do come into stock they sell out within minutes.

Was it this bad for the last generation of mid-range cards? Now the 1060 has only been available for about a week, but the RX 480 has been out for about a month and still there is not much stock. How long was it for the last gen before you could just go to newegg or amazon and find cards in stock without having to watch nowinstock.net or check every 10 minutes?

One thing that may exacerbate the situation is that this is the first generation of cards on a new manufacturing process in a while, so there may also be yield issues, etc. There also may be more demand because this is the first generation in a while on a new process, so more people may be wanting to upgrade now.

Last edited:
I think that demand is just higher than it has been in a long time. Stock is still being regularly replenished by multiple retailers several times a day. The 970 release was the first time I purchased a video card on release day, so my experience in this area isn't large, but I was able to snag a pair of them from Newegg without squatting. I bought my Mitan X 2 weeks after release and again I was able to just go to the website, add it to my cart, and check out. I remember reading somewhere that NVIDIA said they're exceeding initial yield budgets, so in the case of Pascal they're just selling them as fast as they can make them.

It isn't that their supply is low, they just want YOU to believe that it is. Everything is just being more manipulated this time around. I see businesses doing this crap all the time so they can jack up the prices while they laugh at the early adopters all the way to the bank!

Yes, it has happened before. I'd expect a month minimum before stock/prices stabilize. I'm actually surprised the 1070 has only taken about 5 weeks to be more available. 1060 has been more available than I thought, first week at least. Same with the 480. After that though... good luck. The worst part is prices have gone up nvidia side not just due to supply/demand issues.

I think the RX 480 isn't available because AMD only made so many reference ones and we're in the gap between reference and vendor boards which should be trickling in any time now. The GTX 1060 will probably encounter similar issues because Nvidia announced that the FE for the 1060 is limited run.

I remember there being supply problems with the GTX 460, that card was hard to get for the first month or two because it was much more popular than Nvidia thought it would be. I guess the GTX 460 is a good analogue to the GTX 1060, the 1060 being half the high-end card. Beats the hell out of the 960.

Last edited:
The other thing that is weird with this round is that we have hardly heard any official info about custom AIB RX 480s. I'm hoping that the lack of stock for reference RX 480s lately is because AIB partners are ramping up production of the custom cards. We shall see though. This especially contrasts with the fact that 1060 custom cards were available on day 1.

The other thing that is weird with this round is that we have hardly heard any official info about custom AIB RX 480s. I'm hoping that the lack of stock for reference RX 480s lately is because AIB partners are ramping up production of the custom cards. We shall see though. This especially contrasts with the fact that 1060 custom cards were available on day 1.

RX 480 Aftermarket roundup - Specs, release dates, and prices

My evga mini 1060 order at Amazon has been idle for a week now, eh. Previously they always sent my card out within 2-3 days. I guess they took more orders, or earlier orders this time.

Yes, the 280X line was hard to find for quite a few months towards the end of 2013 and when you did find it in stock the price was over MSRP.

If you want one, best bet is to put in a pre-order at the zon. You can always cancel, but its safe to lock in the price now. That said, the MSI custom looks pretty intriguing for its pcb design and built in Afterburner support.

Sapphire Nitro RX 480 preorders seem to be up on Amazon.

Well, I haven't pre-ordered the one on Amazon yet because it seems to be the non-OC model. At this point though, I bet I waited too long because there are probably a ton of orders waiting to be fulfilled right now and they probably won't get enough stock when they do come in. I've been stalking Newegg lately to see if their listing shows up back in stock. Since they aren't taking pre-orders I'll probably have a better chance with that one.

On the other hand if the RX 480's don't stock up soon there is always the 1060 to look at. I've been kind of keeping an eye on those cards but they're still mostly out of stock as well.

It isn't that their supply is low, they just want YOU to believe that it is. Everything is just being more manipulated this time around. I see businesses doing this crap all the time so they can jack up the prices while they laugh at the early adopters all the way to the bank!
In part I wanted to reply to you but mostly the notion in general.

AMD nor NVIDIA get any more money when GPUs are sold over MSRP. Not even the AIBs. Only the seller is getting that money.

Unfortunately for whatever reason these Sellers are treating products like this is ebay or the stock market. When a seller purchases said parts from a vendor they get them at a particular price hence the MSRP (manufacturer SUGGESTED retail price) which includes a fair market profit and consideration to value to sale efficiency. Now as the seller adjusts this MSRP, be it higher or lower, it does NOT affect the money the vendor received when they sold the product. NVIDIA is not seeing any more money than they would have seen if the 1070s sold at $300 or $1099.

Yes, the 280X line was hard to find for quite a few months towards the end of 2013 and when you did find it in stock the price was over MSRP.

Yep, I managed to snag a ASUS DCUII 280X TOP when they came out, prices went up afterwards and even the they were kind of hard to find with all the Bitcoin mining going on then with them.

I've had a hell of a time getting my hands on a 1060. At first I had a pre-order in with Amazon for the EVGA Superclocked 1060, but they had no idea when they would get it, no idea about shipping date, and I was left to piss in the wind. Well, I waited many days with zero updates, so I canceled the order and then just watched NowInStock.net like a hawk (minute to minute) for stock updates. I finally snagged a Zotac GTX 1060 AMP after watching it for many hours but it is not supposed to be here until 08/10.

Better than I was doing, so I'll wait. Not to mention, this was a gift to me from my dad (who already gave me the computer) so I have no problems having to wait a little longer.

After the Skylake launch, USA seems to have been way behind in terms of allocation, unless its retailer/distributor manipulation. Its for example easy to buy these cards (like it was with Skylake CPUs) in Europe or Asia.

I received 24 alerts from nowinstock.net in 1 day that includes only 5 cards from Amazon and maybe 1-2 from newegg. Not sure what are the stock issues being referred here. Talking about 1080s. I have placed order 4 times trying to decide between gigabyte g1 and Asus Strix cards over past 4 days.

1080 is the highest demand GPU in the history of the planet. Still you can find it easily. My suggestion is to try harder.

In Taiwan at least, there has never been any difficulty in getting any of the newest GPU's, only specific models, like Zotac is only recently entering the market, never seen Palit on sale, etc etc.

Asus O8G's has been selling well lately, but there are plenty of others too.

Rx 480 is the only card that might have stock issues (the shop I frequently buy from has completely delisted all rx 480's, probably due to lack of stock, but there are a lot of online and local retailers I haven't checked).

Only specific brands have supply issues here, and that's mainly caused by not being in our market. Retailers probably have a problem with selling stock, than customers have finding stock, especially for the high end stuff.

Monitors are a completely different beast.

The 480 has terrible yields, and the functional ones AMD does get seem to all be wildly variant from the process' specs. Some cards undervolt really well, some are unstable out of the box, and they're all limited to around 1350mhz core clock speed no matter how good the PCB or cooler seems to be.

Overall a disaster of a product.

The 480 has terrible yields, and the functional ones AMD does get seem to all be wildly variant from the process' specs. Some cards undervolt really well, some are unstable out of the box, and they're all limited to around 1350mhz core clock speed no matter how good the PCB or cooler seems to be.

Overall a disaster of a product.
Not even close to the topic at hand and so far off base. Failure of a post and obvious shill attempt. 480s are on top of every sale list so if it is a failure then it is the most lucrative failure ever.

This generation has the most expensive to produce chips for both camps, and so I believe supply is being deliberately kept tight so as to ensure cards don't eventually end up sitting in a warehouse due to over production.

But to perfectly honest, I've NEVER had a problem getting a card here in the UK. Not once, ever. I seriously don't get this at all, guess I'm just lucky over here!? :confused:

I received 24 alerts from nowinstock.net in 1 day that includes only 5 cards from Amazon and maybe 1-2 from newegg. Not sure what are the stock issues being referred here. Talking about 1080s. I have placed order 4 times trying to decide between gigabyte g1 and Asus Strix cards over past 4 days.

1080 is the highest demand GPU in the history of the planet. Still you can find it easily. My suggestion is to try harder.

And remember, if you snooze you lose!

So in the last day or so I've seen a few GTX 1060s in stock, and a couple of reference RX 480s have been in stock at times. I don't want to get a reference RX 480 so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've waited this long so I can wait a little longer.

Does no one remember the ATI X800, x1800xtx and xtx platinum editions? Those things were rarer than hen's teeth.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I remember having a bit of trouble getting a 9800xt when they first came out. I think I had I placed a backorder with Googlegear/ZZF that went unfilled for a day or two, then I was able to actually get one from ATI Ontario directly, so I cancelled the backorder.

But it wasn't that hard, I think I paid MSRP, and it only took an extra day or three.

Alot of people here really need to setup account at nowinstock.net, you will be surprised how often the rx480 reference comes in stock. Last 7 days I have gotten about 5 notifications for reference rx 480s being in stock. They do come back in stock very frequently, and to those saying companies are controlling supply to raise prices, well its certainly not happening on AMD side. Reference cards have not being charged more, there seems to be a firm order from amd partners to control that part. Neweggs been selling them for 239.99, All the notifications I got were for those.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I remember having a bit of trouble getting a 9800xt when they first came out. I think I had I placed a backorder with Googlegear/ZZF that went unfilled for a day or two, then I was able to actually get one from ATI Ontario directly, so I cancelled the backorder.

But it wasn't that hard, I think I paid MSRP, and it only took an extra day or three.
Maaaaaan I miss ZipZoomFly!!! I used to buy a lot from them and outpost.com..Loved the fact you could place an order up to 11:59pm est and get it the next day...ThOse were the good ole days..

Reactions: NKD
like this
Maaaaaan I miss ZipZoomFly!!! I used to buy a lot from them and outpost.com..Loved the fact you could place an order up to 11:59pm est and get it the next day...ThOse were the good ole days..

yep loved zipzoomfly!!!!

These issues come and go whenever there is a real good upgrade choice. The in between years are hit or miss depending on people's upgrade cycles and desires. I remember my 4600Ti was a bit hard to come by at launch, as was the 6800, 8800 and AMD's 5800 series. Not for quite as long but they had dry spells. I don't recall a lot of issues with the 7900 series but eh.

I'm hoping there is a 1080Ti or the 490 is a winner. Otherwise I'll keep sitting on my 7970.

Does no one remember the ATI X800, x1800xtx and xtx platinum editions? Those things were rarer than hen's teeth.

I certainly do. I tried for a month to get one. I wanted one so badly to replace my trusty 9700 pro. Never could manage to grab one and had to settle for the 6800ultra.

Last edited:
Yes, if you take a long term view, there have often been similar supply issues very much like this (and worse) on high end GPU designs in the past. Particularly those that relied on new process technology and / or new RAM technology.

The whole launch of these new graphics cards reminds me of the Simpsons Bonestrom episode.

I had to 'settle' for an X800XT because of that. They were also a little hard to find for the first month or so, but this is New Zealand. I'd doubt they even sent the PE here.

It's quite common on a new node. Remember the 4770? 1st on 45nm, IIRC. Had stock for a bit and then... good luck! Been pretty much the same since on new nodes.

Looks like I just snagged the Sapphire Nitro RX 480 8GB card from Newegg. I got the notification from nowinstock and it placed the order as fast as I could and it placed the order. It's still in the Order Verification stage but I think I got it. It sold out in like 5 minutes though.

Back