Went from a completely stable system to random BSOD's after switching to dual channel

Capfarland

Limp Gawd
I had been running my computer with 2 512mb sticks of kingston pc3200 ddr ram in single channel mode for a few months and all was well, had never had one BSOD on this pc. I decided to see if I would gain a performance increase by switching a stick from the DIMM3 slot into the DIMM2 slot, now I get BSOD's very randomly and many of my programs are crashing.

I switched off 'automatic restart' on system failure so I could see the error messages, and one of the BSOD's gave me this message

' 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8054a10d, 0xb1434588, 0x00000000)'

the second one happened when I opened up spybot, I got a BSOD gave me the message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" with the numbers

"0x1000000a (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80521ae8)"

So I am hoping someone can help me out,
I've run 3 passes in memtest86 and 3 passes in Windows ram debugger utility with no errors... Does anyone suggest that I switch the ram too DIMM3 and DIMM4 and running memtest86 for awhile? Thanks in advance for any advice or help

Hi, this type of problem could be casued by your memory voltage being set too low, or more likely by incorrect memory timings or settings. Running single channel can be less stressful on your memory controller.

If you give us more info such as what power supply brand and size, your current memory voltage, the rated timings voltage of your memory and what settings you have for memory timings, we might be able to help figure this out.

I would test each stick sperately in slot 1 and see if one gives you errors.

are you using 1t or 2t? if 1t, try 2t. sorry I can't help more. I'm not too familiar with a64 workings and can't be so quick to say raise vmch

are you using 1t or 2t? if 1t, try 2t. sorry I can't help more. I'm not too familiar with a64 workings and can't be so quick to say raise vmch

Setting 2t in your memory settings might just do the trick. It should run auto or 1t, but maybe the memory has some issues.

Hi, this type of problem could be casued by your memory voltage being set too low, or more likely by incorrect memory timings or settings. Running single channel can be less stressful on your memory controller.

If you give us more info such as what power supply brand and size, your current memory voltage, the rated timings voltage of your memory and what settings you have for memory timings, we might be able to help figure this out.

I would test each stick sperately in slot 1 and see if one gives you errors.

My power supply is a zumax x3 series, 550watts. according to the ABIT EQ my memory voltage is around 2.67.

How do I change it to 2t? According to CPUz it's in dual channel mode. I also ran windows memory diagnostic tools for 13 passes with no errors. but prime 95 fails after about an hour.

does cpuz tell you your command rate? or in the bios? i'd imagine it should. or i suppose if you wanted to test, you could loosen timings a bit, and see what happens, and work from there

Ahh, yeah it appears it is in 1t mode, according to CPUz.

I scanned through the BIOS but didn't notice a way to change that, i'm using the out of box bios on my motherboard. Any way I could change that setting, am I missing something in the bios? Thanks.

EDIT: I found a way to change it to 2t from the bios, i hope this does the trick, I am going to prime95 test it for awhile and see what happens.

I think that did the trick! left my computer on overnight (forgot to start the prime95 test though), and played stalker for a few hours this morning with no crashes or BSOD's yet.

thanks for the suggestion guys, I was fearing the worst :D

nice you got it fixed.

now to hijack. andy, if i sold a few ocz sticks to someone, would warranty pass over?

nice you got it fixed.

now to hijack. andy, if i sold a few ocz sticks to someone, would warranty pass over?

OCZ doesn't require proof of purchase on memory products. The lifetime warranty is good even when resold.

Pretty cool, no?

Back