went from 3400+ to 3200+ should i go to 3000+

stpstrn

Weaksauce
im trying to save money. i need to save as much as i can. this is a gaming rig. i have a post in general hardware section with list of parts.....will i be losing much performance going from a amd 64 3200 to a amd 64 3000.

main piece parts
6800OC
K8N-E Deluxe

next to none, and you can always overclock it if you really find you need the extra 200mhz ;)

one other question. i dont know if it will be answered in my other post. if there is not 64 bit software why is there a point in buying a 64 bit chip. some guy at frys told my dad there is no point :rolleyes: there is win xp pro that runs 64 bit but dont know the cost

stpstrn said:
one other question. i dont know if it will be answered in my other post. if there is not 64 bit software why is there a point in buying a 64 bit chip. some guy at frys told my dad there is no point :rolleyes:
guy at frys is an idiot. never trust salespeople.

on die memory controller, improved cache timings, more done per clock cycle on the 64 chips. check benchies...even in 32 bit, 3200+ a64's stomp 3200+ bartons.

yeah, walleye is right.. right now the 64bit is just an added bonus, cause for all practical purposes, these are the ultimate 32bit chips (which is kinda ironic actually..)

stpstrn said:
one other question. i dont know if it will be answered in my other post. if there is not 64 bit software why is there a point in buying a 64 bit chip. some guy at frys told my dad there is no point :rolleyes: there is win xp pro that runs 64 bit but dont know the cost

It's for "when" 64 bit OS' become standard...just gives you a bit more flexibility in your software upgrade path.

That is of course other than the actual core enhancements and on die memory controller that make the A64 far superior to an AXP of similar clock and/or rating.

this is so stupid....my dad just called....i hate how he is so obsessed with frys. he read a paragraph out of the win xp book....it said the win xp home 32 bit will run the 64 bit chip "ok" but the new intel 64 bit chip and the 64 bit version of xp pro runs great. ive told him that amd is the way to go to suite my needs. now he is going to throw another curve ball at me that i have to try to get around. stupid frys :rolleyes: :mad:

tell him that the current intel 64bit chips are meant for servers, and they copied amd's x86-64.

AMD's right now top Intel as far as 64 bit hands down you can go to pretty much any hardware review/benchmarking site and they will tell you the same, I never ever listen to the guys at fry's 3/4 of time theyll say whatever to get you to spend more money, ive had that happen a number of times.

Just remember - the salespeople at places like that are selling computers there because they're not qualified to be techs.

there have been good replys. sending dad an email with the replys. hopefully he will steer away from frys salespersons

ameoba said:
Just remember - the salespeople at places like that are selling computers there because they're not qualified to be techs.
too true.. it's sad *tear*

Liam said:
Why not show your dad some benchmark numbers on the net?

i sent him an email with some links. he hasnt replied yet. its hard to talk about this stuff over email. i have to wait until i call him or go back home

How about get your dad to call a real growed up technician that knows what a computer is instead of those asshats at fry's?

As said above, they're salesmen because they can't be techs... better than half of them had a previous job flipping hamburger patties...

same with just about any large retail store. its a joke.

Alright well I worked at frys and I can tell you that most of them have no idea what they are talking about. But.. when I worked there, me and my friend were always the ones getting called upon to answer questions just because we knew our stuff. I can surely tell you frys is probably not the best place to get info like that from because (as said above) they really will tell you anything just so you spend that extra money. It is purely commission based (which can be good for the worker but bad for the customer.) Just dont take what the people at frys say for granted because its probably wrong, what you should do, is show your brainwashed dad somewebpages with actual proof how AMD 64's out perform intels chips any ol' day.

Back