Wells Fargo Introduces Cardless ATMs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
No card? No problem. Wells Fargo is delving deeper into digital by letting customers withdraw money using just their smartphones. The way it works is that you will generate a code using their mobile banking app, which you would punch into the ATM alongside a “personal identification code” (I assume this is a new PIN you set up, but I’m not sure). Being that thieves will no longer have anything to skim, this move is also expected to reduce data theft.

…the San Francisco-based bank decided to apply the smartphone technology to all of its 13,000 cash machines after piloting the idea in select locations across the country. Bank of America Corp and JPMorgan Chase & Co are among the big banks that have announced digital upgrades to their ATM infrastructure, but Wells Fargo is the first U.S. bank to roll out cardless machines across its entire network. The 20 million customers on Wells Fargo's mobile banking app will be able to request an eight-digit code to enter along with their personal identification code at an ATM to retrieve cash. "The new feature allows customers to withdraw cash at any time, even when they don't have their cards on them," Velline said.

Welcome to finally trying to catch up to 1st world countries.

new-world.png

How i feel when my American inlaws responded to me telling about the 0min tax system.
" i dont like that the government does my taxes for me"

This will work great for all those people who don't have a smart phone, or don't have a data plan (I know a few people that have no data plan and only use WiFi on their phone)

I also know quite a few people who will not do anything on their smart phone except texting, browsing and the occasional game. They have no interest in using it to replace their credit card or connecting it to their bank.

Of course the people who like doing all of this are fine, until their battery dies, the phone breaks, or it gets stolen.

This will work great for all those people who don't have a smart phone, or don't have a data plan (I know a few people that have no data plan and only use WiFi on their phone)

I also know quite a few people who will not do anything on their smart phone except texting, browsing and the occasional game. They have no interest in using it to replace their credit card or connecting it to their bank.

Of course the people who like doing all of this are fine, until their battery dies, the phone breaks, or it gets stolen.

When all you do is look for thorns...you tend to miss the rose that is there.

If only we had done chip+pin instead of chip+sig, would also have helped. But the card companies thought Americans were too stupid for that. Maybe they were right.

I know Bofa ATM's have been doing the NFC thing for a few months now.

If only we had done chip+pin instead of chip+sig, would also have helped. But the card companies thought Americans were too stupid for that. Maybe they were right.

I wonder if there is an opt-in option for that. My corporate card requires Chip + PIN to use (which messed me up first time I had that happen). I would far prefer that.

You sure like to complain about things, don't you?

If you haven't already jumped ship from Wells Fargo, what the hell are you waiting for?

deep breaths dude, deep breaths ;)

FYI all the major banks are rolling out this feature, preordering cash at ATM's or using your phone in lieu of a card.

I say this as someone who doesn't have a smartphone: why do you care about an extra option if it's not mandatory?

As they keep signing up up for ghost accounts and bill you for them.

I say this as someone who doesn't have a smartphone: why do you care about an extra option if it's not mandatory?

Because eventually they will stop sending out ATM cards and assume everyone has a phone they can use.

Not that I use the ATM much. I only remember going once in the past year because I need cash to put in someone's birthday card.

Because eventually they will stop sending out ATM cards and assume everyone has a phone they can use.

Not that I use the ATM much. I only remember going once in the past year because I need cash to put in someone's birthday card.
+1

exact same thing happened with debit cards and now personal checks simply do not exist in America anymore.

+1

exact same thing happened with debit cards and now personal checks simply do not exist in America anymore.

Personal checks still exist. I can order them from my bank at any time. I still have a book of them, since once in a blue moon, I'll need one to send for like driver's license renewal. Fuck 25 cent money orders. Free checks.

I also still have a normal debit card (no chip) from one credit union and a ATM only card from a different credit union. All of it still exists, you simply need to ask for it.

Personal checks still exist. I can order them from my bank at any time. I still have a book of them, since once in a blue moon, I'll need one to send for like driver's license renewal. Fuck 25 cent money orders. Free checks.

I also still have a normal debit card (no chip) from one credit union and a ATM only card from a different credit union. All of it still exists, you simply need to ask for it.
I think you missed the sarcasm.

No, I just live in this little place called reality, where things tend to go wrong at the worse possible time.

https://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

Funny thing is, I once went to pay for something at a gas station. Card skimmer wouldn't work, I guess my card got demagnetized? I used my Samsung Pay which is able to mimic a credit card using Magnetic Secure Transmission and paid no problem.

Welcome to finally trying to catch up to 1st world countries.

new-world.png

How i feel when my American inlaws responded to me telling about the 0min tax system.
" i dont like that the government does my taxes for me"

Cant say I remember it being like that in the UK. We took to chip and pin instantly and I and many of my friends now forget the £30 limit on NFC/Tap and Pay that we do it automatically. Real drag to have to put your pin in now.

Cant say I remember it being like that in the UK. We took to chip and pin instantly and I and many of my friends now forget the £30 limit on NFC/Tap and Pay that we do it automatically. Real drag to have to put your pin in now.
Did you read my post ?

Did you read my post ?

Yes but what you wrote and the cartoon depicts don't add up in any real context (as far as I can tell).

The cartoon appears to show the UK struggled with such things when we didn't as far as I remember.

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick. It happens.

Now I do remember Americans shitting their pants when they were told they may have to remember up to three different 4 digit PIN numbers. But Americans seem to shit their pants over a lot of things these days. At least their news media says so...

Yes but what you wrote and the cartoon depicts don't add up in any real context (as far as I can tell).

The cartoon appears to show the UK struggled with such things when we didn't as far as I remember.

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick. It happens.

Now I do remember Americans shitting their pants when they were told they may have to remember up to three different 4 digit PIN numbers. But Americans seem to shit their pants over a lot of things these days. At least their news media says so...

Well I have no idea on the UK as iive only been there once in my teen years. which isa couple of decades ago.
But living in Texas it shure feels like the general public mass ( not everybody) seems to be afraid of technology and really don't like long term investments into the countries progress.
everytime i fly over seas to the scandinavien countries. its a huge difference in intergrated technology level.

Think like the check is no longer a valide payment method due to its obsoletes .
But here in the state checks and fax machines are still a thing that is very much in use.
Govements sending you physical papers to fill out
etc etc etc

But to quote the artist fom his/her experince:
If you only visit England on vacations you won't notice, but if you decide to move there like I did, you will start to realize how scared England as a nation is of new technology.

Like, several of the people working at the bank where I got an account didn't know how to send an email and had never done it in their life. I repeat, people working at a BANK.

So it was no surprise to me that it took months and months to get English people to use instant pay while in Denmark it happened practically over night.
(It feels a lot like tooting Denmark's horn here, so I would have liked to add more countries, but I have no idea how quick they were to use instant pay and it's impossible to find info on online).

LMAO who cares about people with old tech

You are right and that is exactly America's issue. "everybody" is afraid to move forward for new technology because there is going to e a short bump of inconvience. soo better just stay behind everybody else.
That mentality is exactly what keeps America in the 60-90's times. everone is more focused on the upfront cost than the long term benefits.

Well, in the UK, Pin goes well with Fish and Chips. In the USA, we have a burger and fries, which doesn't go well with pin. Wells Fargo is finally going to force me to upgrade my Moto RAZR.

People still freak out when I use Apple Pay, like I'm using black magic or something. It's going to be a while before people catch on to new tech. :/

Back