Well what should I do?

NMP40

n00b
I got currently 2-way Sli Evga 660 FTW signature 2 GPU's & have been thinking about upgrading. I am just wondering what would you computer gaming masters out here recommend, I am still going to be mainly using 1080 monitor since the money is in the budget for new GPU, I wouldn't mind also going down just to 1 GPU but wouldn't mind to have the option to 2-way Sli later on. I just want something with a bit more push but at this time got about $500 dollars for the budget. Thanks for all replies & suggestion. I was just looking at the new 1060 but it doesn't seem to be Sli ready, unless they do what they did with the 650 ti & put out a 1060 ti boost that is Sli ready.
Here is my current system
Asus Sabertooth 990 FX r2.0 MoBo
AMD 8350 CPU
Corsair Vengeance 16-gigs memory
Coolermaster Evo 212 heatsink with 1-120mm Coolermaster Jetflo PMW fan, memory isn't low profile so had to remove the push & pull method of fans.
Coolermaster V850 PSU full modular
128 gig SSD drive
Western digital 1tb black edition gaming HD
All installed in a Rosewell Ultra gaming case with plenty of fans
Currently running Windows 10 home edition free upgrade from Windows 7

Last edited:
Well I guess I don't rate enough to get a answer! I really just would like to know what would be the best upgrade for my current system out of the new line of GPU's out there in the Nvidia format, not really sure about AMD GPU's don't have any real experience with them always been a Nvidia buyer!

Imo mgpu is out of the question for your system.

Upgrade to either an rx480 or a 1060, then look at cpu upgrades next. If you're not willing to wait a year for Zen I suggest an Intel system.

I just now heard of Zen, I built this current rig about almost 3 yrs ago & have been out of the computer world for a bit got back into another one of my other hobbies & let the computer one slip a bit. I am just now finding out about the newer products on the market. 3 years out of the computer world is equal to a decade, lol.
Thanks for the replies I will be waiting for the new Zen to come out & just rebuild a new system.

Forget dual GPU, in this day and age it's just not worth it on anything but the highest end cards.

Buy a single GTX 1070. It's within your budget and will be a colossal upgrade.

I think a 1070 would be the best upgrade for you. Forget about the mGPU game and go with a powerful single GPU.

Your 8350 is still pretty decent, but is probably getting a little long in the tooth. I'd say get a 1070 or 80 now, and then once Zen is released, if it competes with Intel, then go with whichever brand you like best or can get the best bang for your buck. That is my plan, and I'm running on a phenom ii x4 955.

I think the 8350 should still be decent, get a 1060/rx 480/1070, and when you feel like that set up is not working anymore i'd upgrade everything in 3-4 years.

Thanks for the replies, I will look into some of your suggestions.

If you don't want to upgrade your CPU, then a GTX1060 or RX480 would be your best bet, specially for 1080p. You could also get a GTX1070 and upgrade your CPU later.

Yeah my main concern was bottlenecking out my CPU or a GPU with one of the newer high end cards. I wish I could sell my current GPU'S to help fund the new one to add a bit more cash to my budget to maybe upgrade the CPU & the GPU when the time comes. But not really sure what 2 660 FTW Signature 2 3 GB 192-bit GPU's would be worth to somebody, I have even thought about selling the whole MoBo also but not sure what I could really get out of it, I know it's all still under warranty for another 2 yrs yet.

christ almighty overclock that goddam cpu. a asus sabertooth 990fx is meant to overclock. an fx 8350 is meant to overclock. amd fx 8's hit their stride by 4.5ghz and it grinds on me when amd users piddle about trailing behind intels when they've never taken the dozen or so key strokes to oc their cpus. especially irksome during this era of multiplier overclocking when it has never been easier to push your cpu. especially at 1080p, do your next gpu a favor and figure out how to overclock on perhaps the best overclocking platform available on the amd side (fx 8350+asus sabertooth) which you already own. /rant.

Last edited:
I would overclock it but I admit I am a noobie when it comes to overclocking, I don't even know where to start. Any insight would be helpful, I have looked all over for a overclock on my Mobo & CPU but most have different Mobo's or the 8320 instead of the 8350, I also have found some websites that start explaining what to do then stop & like I said before go off on another tangent or question then never finish the how too.
Again will do but how?

I would overclock it but I admit I am a noobie when it comes to overclocking, I don't even know where to start. Any insight would be helpful, I have looked all over for a overclock on my Mobo & CPU but most have different Mobo's or the 8320 instead of the 8350, I also have found some websites that start explaining what to do then stop & like I said before go off on another tangent or question then never finish the how too.
Again will do but how?

Your full of it if you say you've looked all over and have found no suggestions on how to OC a Sabertooth.

Those things OC probably better than any MOBO out there, and are many places can tell you how to start.

You're just being lazy about it in your case it sounds.

Since you have SLI you already know the advantages and disadvantages of multi-GPU setups. In the sub-350 bracket I'd pick up a custom PCB AIB RX 480. I think nVidia neutered the 1060 too much (and no SLI if you change your mind later).

Your full of it if you say you've looked all over and have found no suggestions on how to OC a Sabertooth.

Those things OC probably better than any MOBO out there, and are many places can tell you how to start.

You're just being lazy about it in your case it sounds.
I am not being lazy about it, I just want to do it correctly, once again I get the same BS answer about what steps to take to overclock my computer, I have searched & searched I keep coming up with differents answers or none at all, I just want to know what programs are needed what settings I need to set in bios, should I overclock in bios or use AI suite II, like I have said before I can build the rigs but am a noobie when it comes to overclocking my rig.
Well if you know where they are at then let me know so I can find them.

I set you in the right path. I have always had better luck with overclocking in the BIOS, using software works, but isn't as in depth usually.

Well here is what I got so far, using AI suite II also shutting off some item in Bios, I got my CPU Voltage at 1.3625 my core set at 4.4 I ran a prime95 blend test for 20 min everything was stable but my CPU temps hit like 60 degrees C, my V-core was hitting like 62-65 degrees C, not sure if these temps where very good for just 20 min of testing. I am thinking I might need a bit better heatsink than my evo 212 with just one fan, any suggestions on a different one that would work with those Corsair Vengeance memory sticks.

Back