Well well well...my UltraX PSU is failing badly

just2cool

Gawd
Yes, I know. All of you told me so. I'm not looking to get flamed here.

corecenter.jpg

Yes, I know. "Software readings don't mean anything". Well, when I got this PSU, it was within 1% of all voltages and my computer was rock hard stable. Now, my computer becomes unstable every 15 minutes or so - especially if I do anything that utilizes my GPU. So, I'd imagine that my software results are accurate enough. 17% off of the 3.3 has to be a problem, even if it is measured by the software.

My question is, how many people have returned these? How good is the customer support? And I heard the new generation of these is better...will they give me one of those or am I stuck with this version?

Thanks.

I'm still going to tell you software is not trustworthy. :D

I personally think that if the 3.3V was THAT OFF that the PC wouldn't work at all.

Double check all of your connections and for God's sake get a DMM. Ok?

As for support: I admit that I know a few of the guys at Ultra. They jump right on real support issues if you just send them an email or post on their forums. But I'm going to tell you this right up front: They're going to tell you to check with a DMM too. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
Double check all of your connections and for God's sake get a DMM. Ok?

If he is using an UltraX I highly doubt he has any extra pocket change to pick up a DMM. :rolleyes:

I'm with the OP, it is known that software should not be tested to rate PSUs, however when the software shows a degrade like stated...something is wrong.

Hmm. Maybe I could borrow one from one of my EE classes. Do you have any problem with Fluke DMM's? Or will you disagree with those results too?! :)

Anyway, in the meantime, I'll try to rewire everything. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks for the quick response.

But can anyone answer my question about Ultra's customer support?

* Edit: I guess I can't read..johnny seemed to answer my question, too.

Ominous Gamer said:
If he is using an UltraX I highly doubt he has any extra pocket change to pick up a DMM. :rolleyes:

I'm with the OP, it is known that software should not be tested to rate PSUs, however when the software shows a degrade like stated...something is wrong.

Your ignorance is appreciated and duly noted. :rolleyes: RAM uses the 3.3V rail. A PC would not be the least bit stable with 2.75V on the 3.3V rail.

just2cool said:
Hmm. Maybe I could borrow one from one of my EE classes. Do you have any problem with Fluke DMM's? Or will you disagree with those results too?! :)

Actually, I own a Fluke DMM with a clamping DC ammeter that your EE prof. would shit a brick to get his hands on. Yes.... Use the Fluke.

FYI: You're probably not using the 6-pin Xeon/AUX/AGP-Pro connector on the PSU, so use that to probe 3.3V. One side of the wires is 3.3V and the other three wires are ground, so there's no way you can screw it up. If you reverse polarity you'll just get a negative voltage reading, but it'll still be accurate.

Nice, you anticipated my next question. I'm going home to Pittsburgh tomorrow (yes, for a superbowl party) but I'll probably do it sometime on Monday / Tuesday and post my results.

Thanks!

FYI: I've been running my computer since my last post and it's still reporting around 2.75.

UPDATE: I'm retarded.

corecenter2.jpg

Well, it turns out I had to temporarily install a few HD's recently to get data off them. What I took for granted were my "careful" hands. Yeah, so needless to say it turns out the ATX connector on the PSU was slightly out of place. I guess this is a slight downfall of having a modular power supply, but it's something I should have checked and realized. Thanks for making me check, johnnyguru. I can't believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

It looks like I was right after all, though. I knew the software readings were too low and there had to be a problem...unfortunately I didn't anticipate the problem being my own retarded self.

jonnyGURU said:
I personally think that if the 3.3V was THAT OFF that the PC wouldn't work at all.
How far off can each positive voltages be and the computer still run reliably? I know that ATX specs allow +-5%, but what are the numbers in real life? I've had HDs not work when the +12V was low by 11% (digital meter).

just2cool said:
UPDATE: I'm retarded.

Well, it turns out I had to temporarily install a few HD's recently to get data off them. What I took for granted were my "careful" hands. Yeah, so needless to say it turns out the ATX connector on the PSU was slightly out of place. I guess this is a slight downfall of having a modular power supply, but it's something I should have checked and realized. Thanks for making me check, johnnyguru. I can't believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

It looks like I was right after all, though. I knew the software readings were too low and there had to be a problem...unfortunately I didn't anticipate the problem being my own retarded self.

Never underestimate the power of your own restardedness. :D Seriously I'm glad to see it's working fine.

larrymoencurly said:
How far off can each positive voltages be and the computer still run reliably? I know that ATX specs allow +-5%, but what are the numbers in real life? I've had HDs not work when the +12V was low by 11% (digital meter).

I imagine the tolerance is tighter than the 12V rail. And the regulator for the memory will compensate for some discepancy, but if I think that when I overclock memory and the only thing that's standing between me and my PC3200 running at 466MHz is .1V (sure, that adjustment is made after regulation, but still) then I can only imagine a 17% discrepancy can't be that healthy! :D

Back