Well this sucks...but I wonder if this showed me that nvidia is tougher than ati.

DaMaDo

Gawd
I was installing the astek waterchill set and was running the PSU to get all the bubbles out and make sure there were no leaks. Welp, I had the 12v connector for the 9800 pro unconnected (it was in the way of the res top) and I accidentally bumped it and the 12v molex touched the 9800 pro's 12v connector in the wrong spot and there was a huge blue spark and the PSU shut off.

I powered on and the screen was all messed up..wierd characters everywhere. Ater a while the computer would just stop. Once I got into windows, but then the screen got all wierd. I tried a 9800 non pro I had laying around and the same thing happened. I then tried an nvidia ti 4200 and it worked a lot better....things jsut went wrong after the 3rd time I rebooted.

So I figured I fried the motherboard. But then I hooked up my old computer and the 9800 pro AND the 9800 non pro didn't work...only the nvidia ti4200 works now....I just thought it was wierd that the 9800 non pro failed and the ti4200 still works...I guess the mobo fried the ATI card and not the nvidia. I thought that was wierd.

I've got a new a8v on order...hopefully the CPU is ok....

The RAM is ok so I'm a little less "distressed"

Same thing happened here to my Radeon 9500 Non-Pro. Poor guy never saw the light of day. :(

It's probably not so much an nVidia or ATi thing as it is who made your videocard or motherboard. Here's a story, back when I lived in a college dorm, my roommate had a gaming rig with lots of SCSI drives that got really hot, so he had to leave the side of his case open. One time he was messing around at his desk and knocked a quarter into his computer. Zap! The whole thing powered down immediately. He looked inside, and the quarter had attatched itself to the back of his videocard, by the solder holding one of the big capacitors. :eek: He carefully worked the quarter back & forth to remove it, then powered his system back up.... everything was normal. It was an Asus motherboard and videocard. We were both pretty impressed at this.

Sorry to hear about the mishap DaMaDo. Hopefully you get things back up to speed with a minimum of replacement parts. :(

i remember when i was working on my machine and i had it laying on it's side. well like any computer nerd you always have somthing to drink with you. anyways i had accidently hit a full glass of soda into my machine. The machine STOPED...hehe. lets just say a few words came out. hehe anyways i then went to take the machine apart and was like oh well lets dump it in water so we can get the soda off it. let is dry and it still works to this day... but ya it sucks not having a comp for a preiod of time. i had to wait 4 days to get my board all dry again...it was a MSI K7T266A board and i had a GF2 GTS in it also the socket broke so the lever doesn't work anymore so to take the chip out you need some pliers to open the socket up. but still it works.

My desk lamp fell into my running computer when I was checking temps with a thermal probe. It smoked my 9800Pro and my mobo. Luckily didn't break anything, but it did bend a couple caps and jumper pins. Straightened those out now. :eek:

Just sitting there looking at the probe and readings, and BAM, there goes my lamp! :eek:

Thats a funny story,My friend lives around power lines and his computer got zapped like 3 times already while playing EQ.(fien wouldnt get off during lightening storms)Well anyway one time he actually saw sparks fly out his computer,he went through 3 pci 56k modems but his asus mobo and nvidia card,and the rest still run to this day.
DanK said:
It's probably not so much an nVidia or ATi thing as it is who made your videocard or motherboard. Here's a story, back when I lived in a college dorm, my roommate had a gaming rig with lots of SCSI drives that got really hot, so he had to leave the side of his case open. One time he was messing around at his desk and knocked a quarter into his computer. Zap! The whole thing powered down immediately. He looked inside, and the quarter had attatched itself to the back of his videocard, by the solder holding one of the big capacitors. :eek: He carefully worked the quarter back & forth to remove it, then powered his system back up.... everything was normal. It was an Asus motherboard and videocard. We were both pretty impressed at this.

Sorry to hear about the mishap DaMaDo. Hopefully you get things back up to speed with a minimum of replacement parts. :(

ny555soul said:
he went through 3 pci 56k modems but his asus mobo and nvidia card,and the rest still run to this day.
Yea, phone modems kinda act like surge protectors, they take one for the team and stop the surge, so the rest of the PC doesnt have to :)

yea those 12v plugs look all safe but push them in just a little sideways and snap crackle pop, ive had to clear the cmos twice after that happened. sometimes ill open up the cae and be hot swapping things, like comparing fan noise or messing with my water or lights.

2nd story,, yesterday after putting the waterblock on my 6800 i wish reaching in to lock the 6800 in place, when all of a sudden one of my hoses slipped off the pump (i forgot one clamp) and gravity shot water all over my brand new mobo and graphics card, and it was plugged in but not on. i thought i was screwed for sure, but 40 mins and lots of hair dryer later i started right up. even though i had standing water on the mobo while it was plugged in.

in retrospect i think it was that the new msik8n plat, is tottaly painted black i think thats what stopped the water from shorting it out.

My case has a fan on top of it. One night I was drunk and accidently tiped over my jack n coke drink it fell on top of computer and the system immediatly shut off. Lol I sprayed off the motherboard with a water hose outside let it dry in the sun for a few hours put it all back together and worked fine. Been almost a year since that all good still :)

Hehe good stories =)

Thanks guys.

It was kinda wierd...like I said when I rebooted that oast time with the nvidia card, I got a cmos error and then it started looking in the CD rom for a bios file then it coudlnt' find the cd rom anymore...and then it just stopped all together....I guess that was its last gasp!

I got my old IC7 2.4C at 3.1 running now with 1 gig of pc3500...........and a ti4200! :eek:

hehe few years back there was a big flood here, my friend who lived on a 1st floor got affected, hi pc was on the floor, he thought it was a goner, so he took it outside, sprayed all the mud off with hi hose, left it to dry on the sun for a few days, amazingly the thing worked

WOW!? i'm really amazed...water doesn't seem to affect computer parts? hell if my computer worked after being in a pool of water i'd prolly have a heart attack. if i live i'll probably marry the damn thing! well i feel a lot safer with my computer now, not having to worry about liquid destroying it. funny how a little static electricity will kill the whole thing, but being flushed in water it doesn't hurt it at all.

DaMaDo said:
I was installing the astek waterchill set...

Ah, what I'd be doing right now if UPS hadn't screwed me yet again. I had a WaterChill kit shipped from FrozenCPU via "guarunteed" 2 Day Air. It was on the truck for delivery all day yesterday but they never delivered it. It's now rescheduled for delivery next Tuesday, so I payed $24 extra in shipping for nothing, and I lose the long weekend that I had to install and tweak it. Bastards. :mad:

Aside from frying your system, what are your impressions of the WaterChill? :D Which setup did you get? What case are you installing it into? Fan configuration? Sorry, I guess I'm trying to do some vicarious living here...

i have a swiftech kit, but i have the asetek new waterblock on my a64. i really like the clear window on top of the block, its handy to check for any air bubbles. it cools very nicely although i run a closed circuit,

i just put a small y connector in the bottom of the case by the pump and when i need to fill or empty i just tip the case upside down. no reservoir adn no fill and bleed kit,

DaMaDo, I have a more specific question for you. Can you measure the radiator and tell me what the distance from the bottom of the radiator (below the hose connectors) to the bottom of the lower fan screws is? Thanks!

Its 5.5 inches exactly from the bottom screws (middle of the holes) to the total top of the radiator (beyond the hose connectors).Its the exact same radiator as the black ice except the cooler fins are more dense. Other than that there is no difference.

I like the kit..its great quality...except the radiator had a leak...aparently bad welding but pctoyland is sending me a new radiator. I got it for 259 from pctoyland and its got the antartic cpu cooler with the 1 in 2 out config, the chipset and the GPU cooler too.

The fan is pretty thick and really heavy...at least compared to my other 120mm fans. The whole thing is super quiet....even that fan, I was amazed. You have two settings..7v and 12v...from the tests I read online, it only makes a diff of 1 degree. I went from stock cooling of 55-60 degrees to 39 with this kit.....but that's mainly b/c the fan I was using on my heatsink was more of a case fan.

The GPU and chipset coolers are pretty big....I'm used to aquacomputer parts...these are like more than twice the size.

Make sure you tighten the hose connectors well on the coolers...they come in peices and you have to put them together...make sure they go to the bottom..use a wrench.

The tubing is 1/2 OD 3/8 ID.

I find the airpockets are almost impossible to get out with this kit...in an old danger den kit and the aquacomputer kits they came out by themselves...this kit leaves some pretty large pockets that wont come out even after runnign overnight....I still have to toy with it.

Its a nice kit though, I think most would love it. I think the aquacomputer is better looking, but the waterchill prolly cools better.

Thanks for the measurement! I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be able to mount the radiator where I want it.

I'm glad to hear you confirm the low noise floor on the unit - I'm primarily going water cooling for noise reduction at the moment, although I intend to put the heat management features to good use shortly. I just got a 6800 GT and it pushed me past the point of being merely annoyed with the noise level of my system to the point of doing something about it. Speaking of systems, I like your rig! You've definitely gone beyond the "slap a few LEDs and cold cathode tubes into it" point! I'm curous - what prompted the switch from Aquacomputer to Asetek?

DaMaDo said:
I was installing the astek waterchill set and was running the PSU to get all the bubbles out and make sure there were no leaks. Welp, I had the 12v connector for the 9800 pro unconnected (it was in the way of the res top) and I accidentally bumped it and the 12v molex touched the 9800 pro's 12v connector in the wrong spot and there was a huge blue spark and the PSU shut off.

I powered on and the screen was all messed up..wierd characters everywhere. Ater a while the computer would just stop. Once I got into windows, but then the screen got all wierd. I tried a 9800 non pro I had laying around and the same thing happened. I then tried an nvidia ti 4200 and it worked a lot better....things jsut went wrong after the 3rd time I rebooted.

So I figured I fried the motherboard. But then I hooked up my old computer and the 9800 pro AND the 9800 non pro didn't work...only the nvidia ti4200 works now....I just thought it was wierd that the 9800 non pro failed and the ti4200 still works...I guess the mobo fried the ATI card and not the nvidia. I thought that was wierd.

I've got a new a8v on order...hopefully the CPU is ok....

The RAM is ok so I'm a little less "distressed"

So your saying that you knocked the 12v Molex on the Radeon 9800 Pro and it shorted out the card and then you put in a Radeon 9800 NP that also requires a 4pin Molex/ or 4pin floppy and that didn't work. Then you put in a TI4200 that requires no extra power and MAJICLY! It works and now you think NVIDIA may have a higher tolerance then ATI cards?

Not only are you possibly wrong you probably also destroyed you R9800 NP. :rolleyes:

Alex A. said:
So your saying that you knocked the 12v Molex on the Radeon 9800 Pro and it shorted out the card and then you put in a Radeon 9800 NP that also requires a 4pin Molex/ or 4pin floppy and that didn't work. Then you put in a TI4200 that requires no extra power and MAJICLY! It works and now you think NVIDIA may have a higher tolerance then ATI cards?

Not only are you possibly wrong you probably also destroyed you R9800 NP. :rolleyes:

I don't get it :confused:

Also, the ti4200 stopped working after like the 3rd reboot which led me to believe the mobo was mesed up...and the ati cards don't work on the P4 system but the ti4200 still works fine

faustus226 said:
I'm curous - what prompted the switch from Aquacomputer to Asetek?

I had the aquacomputer set up on my P4 system then.....plus I can't fit the dual 120mm aquacomp radiator anywhere on this coolermaster wave case.

I had to modify the case a bit just to fit the single 120mm radiator and fan. Thank God for Dremels.

This thread kinda reminds me of the time I was mucking about in the office showing our web designer the innards of the dual PII-450 (hot shiznit at the time... it was a Dell Poweredge we bought for a customer that didn't end up taking it, so we slapped a nice vid card in it.) she was using as a workstation. It was winter, the office was carpeted, I was pointing out all the different parts of the system, and touched one of the CPUs. Zap! Nice static discharge ant the machine reboots. It was fine.

Back