Well that just made my choice easier....

DaMaDo

Gawd
I have been back and forth on the Vibrant and Droid X and finally decided on the Vibrant.

I tried to place the order and T-mobile denied it. I tried both new line and upgrade options.

I called them up and customer service said there is no way for me to change from the month to month even more plus plan to a 2 year contract. I think that's silly.

She said the only way to be able to keep my phone number and get a vibrant would be to buy it at full retail price.

I guess I'll be getting the Droid X for a year...

Go in to a best buy mobile, and see what they can do. Evil little geniuses some of the managers are... They can get shit done (Atleast, mine can, but I'm canadian. *shrugs* )

Don't give up on the phone you want because some phone drone couldn't do anything for you.

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that, but I guess I can try and see what BB can do.

Now watch me get suckered in to buying it at retail ;)

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that, but I guess I can try and see what BB can do.

Now watch me get suckered in to buying it at retail ;)

Working in a best buy mobile, I can tell you they will do anything but try to convince you to buy outright. They can easily find someone else to buy the phone on contract and make a LOT more money off of it ;)

If you actually do the math it's cheaper to buy it off contract than it is on contract, FWIW...
Because you spend $20/mo more going to a contract. That's $480 more, so the phone is costing you $680 buying it on contract versus under $450 without ;)

If you actually do the math it's cheaper to buy it off contract than it is on contract, FWIW...
Because you spend $20/mo more going to a contract. That's $480 more, so the phone is costing you $680 buying it on contract versus under $450 without ;)

I don't know the US Cell plans but i'm guessing his plan is no longer in-market and was epic?

Vibrant = US TMobile

I know the vibrant is US T Mobile, But I have no idea what the details of his plan are and whether or not it's a current offering. The only reason I can think of it not being able to be renewed is because it's an old out of market plan ;)

If verizon (and most other carriers) actually offered discounts on a plan for buying outright, I would probably do it. Screw contracts...

I travel to some places where tmobile is nowhere to be seen, so it isn't really an option unfortunately.

It's the current even more plus plan. I just got it a month ago after my iphone took a swim in the ocean.

Looks like retail is still best bet taking into account the time value of money:

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but assuming a 7% risk free rate (.07/12=.006/mo), the present value of each option seems to be:

T-mobile 2 yr contract = $2262 (I/Y=.006, N=24, PMT=86 + $200)
T-mobile no contract for 24 months= $2082 (I/Y=.006, N=24, PMT=66 + $500 (inc tax))
Verizon Droid X 2 yr = $2550 (I/Y=.006, N=24, PMT=98 +$200)

Also to consider
Verizon Droid X 1 Yr = $1444 (I/Y=.006, N=12, PMT=98 +$270)

Sorry, bored at work heh

It's the current even more plus plan. I just got it a month ago after my iphone took a swim in the ocean.

Looks like retail is still best bet taking into account the time value of money:

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but assuming a 7% risk free rate (.07/12=.006/mo), the present value of each option seems to be:

T-mobile 2 yr contract = $2262 (I/Y=.006, N=24, PMT=86 + $200)
T-mobile no contract for 24 months= $2082 (I/Y=.006, N=24, PMT=66 + $500 (inc tax))
Verizon Droid X 2 yr = $2550 (I/Y=.006, N=24, PMT=98 +$200)

Also to consider
Verizon Droid X 1 Yr = $1444 (I/Y=.006, N=12, PMT=98 +$270)

Sorry, bored at work heh
Huh? Don't get all your abbreviations, but there's 24 months in a contract, at $20 more per month... $480 more going on any contract. Add that to the $200 in-contract pricing= $680 for the phone under contract versus $450 without.

The #1 greatest part of T-Mobile is that you save $20 a month on your bill when you use their Month-to-Month system instead of a 2-year contract.
The fact that you can get the EXACT same plan for $60 instead of $80 with T-Mobile just by supplying your own phone is AWESOME.

Kudos x 1,000,000 for T-Mobile doing this for their customers, the other carriers could learn something. I actually just switched to T-Mobile from AT&T because of this. I am done with 2 year contracts and stupid ETFs.
I say just buy the Vibrant outright or wait for some to show up on eBay (from legit sellers) for a little cheaper.

The #1 greatest part of T-Mobile is that you save $20 a month on your bill when you use their Month-to-Month system instead of a 2-year contract.
The fact that you can get the EXACT same plan for $60 instead of $80 with T-Mobile just by supplying your own phone is AWESOME.

Kudos x 1,000,000 for T-Mobile doing this for their customers, the other carriers could learn something. I actually just switched to T-Mobile from AT&T because of this. I am done with 2 year contracts and stupid ETFs.
I say just buy the Vibrant outright or wait for some to show up on eBay (from legit sellers) for a little cheaper.

QFT. Wife & I did this and brought E63's in. Much better.

What ended up happening, is I went to a T-mo store near the BB first and I learned of the 0 interest payment thing they do. I paid $25 and the $35 tax on the whole thing to take the phone. I can pay $25 a month for 19 more months or more to pay it off quicker.

This actually works best for me because knowing myself I will want to upgrade again in 6 months to a year.

Love the phone so far. I only have 3 weeks use of an Evo 4G to compare it to, but the first thing I'm changing is the keyboard--I want the auto-correct thing which isn't on. I'm going to mess with it more today at work ;) I really liked the auto-correct on the Evo.

The side button for turning it on/active takes some getting used to also since I come from the iPhone.

3G speed here seems a bit reversed in my office building. I'm getting 565kbps download and 1258kbps upload

holy crap 1.2Mbps upload? hahah. Even revered 560kbps upload would be sweet for me :D

The TMobile 3G on my Nexus one averages 1.5Mbps down and 300kbps up most places in the Bay Area.
Enjoy your phone! A buddy played with one yesterday in the store and really liked it...he will be getting the Captivate on AT&T though as he is on a family plan and doesn't want to switch :)

What ended up happening, is I went to a T-mo store near the BB first and I learned of the 0 interest payment thing they do. I paid $25 and the $35 tax on the whole thing to take the phone. I can pay $25 a month for 19 more months or more to pay it off quicker.

This actually works best for me because knowing myself I will want to upgrade again in 6 months to a year.

Love the phone so far. I only have 3 weeks use of an Evo 4G to compare it to, but the first thing I'm changing is the keyboard--I want the auto-correct thing which isn't on. I'm going to mess with it more today at work ;) I really liked the auto-correct on the Evo.

The side button for turning it on/active takes some getting used to also since I come from the iPhone.

3G speed here seems a bit reversed in my office building. I'm getting 565kbps download and 1258kbps upload

NICE! :D I hear those are good speeds for a US HSPA network... The carriers down south of me need to get their asses in gear with the networks they have... Stupid giant population and not enough bandwidth to go around... In Canada, it's pretty much the opposite... I'd be hugely disappointed with those speeds...

4up/3down makes me happy. ^_^ <3 telus

BUT on a less distracted by HSPA note, How do you feel about the samsung interface? I've NEVER been a fan of the silly custom UI's people put on android... I like my near-stock homescreen (I Use LauncherPro and that is IT. )

Back