Well, I'm off... off to join the Apple world!

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Armed with cash, a whole bunch of textbooks (and a place that will buy them for RETAIL!), and a firm determination, I'm off...

So, when I get this iBook home, is there anything that I should do to maximize battery life / etc, or just start using it? Anything I should know?

ibooks are great.

ur gonna have to calibrate the battery when u get it. there are instructions in the book on how to do that. What i did was just watch a dvd and the special features, that basically killed the battery.

Hugh what? I never calibrated nothing...

There is a battery update available if I remember correctly. I have yet to still get it.

my iBook G3 500 is going on 2 1/2 years old without any battery issues and never calibrated it

Well. I'm back.

Empty handed.

Using the iBook... just felt like a toy. The Keyboard is even more unresponsive than I remember, touch typing is hard, and the trackpad is hard to use. It just felt... not right.

I didn't like the feel, and I couldn't see myself using it for a long period of time. It's off the list, forever.

However, I again fell in love with the 12" Powerbook. So I will save for one of them :)

Originally posted by lopoetve
However, I again fell in love with the 12" Powerbook. So I will save for one of them :)
That's what I'm using now. I love it! Hoping it will get me a good ways through Grad school without needing to upgrade (I prefer to keep my desktop(s) up to date, rather than spend tons of money always having the most up to date laptop).

Well. I'm back.

Empty handed.

Using the iBook... just felt like a toy. The Keyboard is even more unresponsive than I remember, touch typing is hard, and the trackpad is hard to use. It just felt... not right.

I didn't like the feel, and I couldn't see myself using it for a long period of time. It's off the list, forever.

you got a PM

Strange, I've never had problems with my iBook's keyboard or trackpad being unresponsive, I'm actually touch typing on it now, I guess they must have made some serious changes in that respect from the 2001 models.

I eventually plan on picking up a 12 inch powerbook, for the same reason you had the ibooks seem too cheap.

Originally posted by Instigator
Strange, I've never had problems with my iBook's keyboard or trackpad being unresponsive, I'm actually touch typing on it now, I guess they must have made some serious changes in that respect from the 2001 models.

There definately seemed to be a change. They had one of the G3 iBooks out too, and it felt better.

TheGameguru, got your PM, YGPM, please linky? :p

That's a shame you didn't pick up an iBook.

On a side note, I've been stopping at the Apple Store every now and then and I love the 12" PB.

Yeps, I love my 12" PB. I dunno if I would have purchased it if it at the original price tho, cannot afford that. Luckily I was able to take advantage of the deal at my University, got it for 1550 after tax and everything. Best part is that I did not have to wait for Apple to mail it. But regarding the feel on the keyboard, I agree. The newer iBook is not as good as the Powerbook when it comes down to typing, and that is key in my book.

One thing that I think is shady on Apple's part is the fact that they use the iBook's screen on the 12" instead of the more expensive screen that they use on the other Powerbook series (The bigger ones)

Although the powerbook feels better, I've actually had to deal with more damaged powerbooks (of varying sizes) than I have had iBooks. The iBooks just seem to hold up better in general, additionally you're paying a hefty premium on the powerbook over a G4 iBook that isn't particularly necessary.

slightly faster (newer) G4 and the ability to burn a DVD is about the only difference between an iBook and a 12" Powerbook...I have played with the keyboards on both and actually like the iBook's better than the PowerBook

Originally posted by Chelica

One thing that I think is shady on Apple's part is the fact that they use the iBook's screen on the 12" instead of the more expensive screen that they use on the other Powerbook series (The bigger ones)

Are you suggesting that only th 15 and17 PB have "authentic" PB screens and the 12 doesn't?

Yeps, that is what I read. The 12 inch is using the LG Phillips LCD screen, which is the same as the iBook.

Link

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I read from a few Mac sources on the net.

Originally posted by Chelica
Yeps, that is what I read. The 12 inch is using the LG Phillips LCD screen, which is the same as the iBook.

Link

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I read from a few Mac sources on the net.

That is correct.

That is correct.

Ouch!! For 12" PB users like myself. I did not know about this until I purchased it. What a shame tho. I mean c'mon, at least make it so that the 12" PB and the iBook are totally different. This just makes it kind of lame to spend the scrills on the 12" PB. I know that they did this so that we should think about spending a "little" more for the 15", but seriously...give us a break.

Back