Well I went and did it.... 5800X

Spirit_Retro

Limp Gawd
So I bought a 5800X today. This is replacing a 3700X.

Not so interested in the 3D model. I think my logic board would be marginal for a 12 core 5900X.

It's not a bad upgrade. Perhaps not a big bang for the buck. But I like upgrading. But there's a bigger reason.

I have a friend who is 25 years younger than me who is a killer computer tech. He's going to be a great systems engineer with a couple of certs and another 5 years experience. But he's only making about $45k a year with a wife and mortgage. He's also slightly autistic, highly intelligent, and brilliant with computers, ham radio, and component electronics. Don't get me started on his math skills.

I hope to hire this guy sometime at my company to replace me when I age out in 15 years or so.

But the real reason I bought the 5800X- was to gift him the 3700X.

See this cat pulls components from garbage cans and gets out the soldering iron and actually repairs them. I have a couple of Bulldozer era motherboards he's recapped for me. His homelab is floor to ceiling "repaired crap". If I need an old component he has them... usually for free... or I flip him a few bucks.

But Saturday morning he's going to have a nice 3700X and a modern case. He doesn't know it's coming. And he doesn't come to this site...

So there's more than one reason to upgrade... and this one feels really good!!!!

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

Just kidding! This made me feel nostalgic for when I got handed down equipment too

what memory will it take? i got memory here and also some 128gb ssd's i have in the fs section.. but you can have them if they help. I know small... but stripe together???

OMG find out if you can whore your friend's services out to repair retro hardware. I've been thinking about grabbing a pentium 233 and some Voodoo 2's or a Voodoo 3 and getting my quake on again.

OMG find out if you can whore your friend's services out to repair retro hardware. I've been thinking about grabbing a pentium 233 and some Voodoo 2's or a Voodoo 3 and getting my quake on again.

I used to OWN in Quake III Arena... unstoppable... played it a few years ago and the game is so slow. Felt myself in my chair rocking trying to get him to run FASTER!!! LOL

Side note: that is where my name came from.. TeleFragger...
I could read what teleports people were running to and i knew where it would go and which other to jump into and i would frag them cuz when they teleported, most people did not move.. so you frag them.. hence Tele-Fragger... lol

Back