well I tried to buy a new 1080

no idea - I work like 4 minutes from there and checked their inventory they had 4 instock when I left none when I got there - I am guessing more than a few employees got theirs lol

And some people apparently camped. They might not have known it was opening up early, but being there already puts them at an advantage.

meh i only went to get one because I sold two cell phones and reasoned out the purchse. That and being first :) I have a 980 ti and it plays overwatch on my 4k just fine...I will live - probably smarter to wait anyways,.

My Microcenter in Chicago had 10, all sold out. 10. So much for their claim of having 'plenty in stock' this time.

Anyone trying to upsell FE cards are going to be disappointed. Only the most diehard will pay over MSRP since there are custom models coming soon.

Full disclosure: I purchased an EVGA FE from Newegg.

My Microcenter in Chicago had 10, all sold out. 10. So much for their claim of having 'plenty in stock' this time.

They have been in an out of stock all day at multiple online retailers. Anyone not able to get one by this point is objectively retarded.

If you didn't have alerts when they went in stock then you weren't going to get one. I had an active NowInStock tab open at NVIDIA GTX 1080 Pre-order & In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net and I still got shafted out of a NewEgg order because by the time I was finished checking out (~30 seconds) the stock had already depleted and they don't hold your stock till you purchase. Fortunately I was able to snag one from the nVidia store with a quick purchase (note: if you don't have PayPal setup or some other quick checkout method you might as well forget about it).

But don't worry so much--judging by eBay the stock is getting sold out because opportunists are purchasing cards to resell them. My guess is that you'll be able to purchase one in a couple of weeks without any issue.

All sold out in Fairfax, VA as well.

No matter, I'd rather buy a non-reference version for cheaper.

It's smarter to wait a bit anyway, I'm waiting to see what Gigabyte releases because theirs usually cost a bit less, are OC, and have quiet fans.

Reactions: xorbe
like this
Per the Denver Microcenter folks, they found out they were going to be opening early a couple days ago. No announcements were made, but they apparently would tell people about it who inquired about 1080 availability.

Does Microcenter really make enough selling a single graphics card to justify opening the whole store early just to sell 10 GTX 1080s?

I used nowinstock and snagged one from new egg.

As for "waiting" I can guarantee that there will always be faster and cheaper cards "around the corner" but this was the right one for me.

lol @ buying day 1 video card releases.

Here in a few months, companies will sell them with better cooling solutions and marked down prices.

whats funny is that the night before i talked to the manager at st davids microcenter and he said normal opeing get here early expect a line limit 2 per custermer they had 6 total what a waste of time.

Well the manager at Microcenter told me not to be so sad, On May 31st I could come back and pick up my 10 core Broadwell-E !!!

Why are people so thirsty for this overpriced piece of shit? It's not like anything that needs a SLI 980 Ti setup isn't going to need a SLI 1080 setup anyway because it's not that much of an improvement over the 980 Ti.

Everybody's rushing out to drop $700 on this thing and meanwhile I'm just sitting here playing everything at 4K + 60 FPS with my SLI 980 Ti's without a care in the world. Maybe if it was a 75%+ performance increase over a single 980 Ti then it might be of interest... because then you could drop the SLI requirement to do 4K gaming.

The FE is overpriced for sure, but the aftermarket cards should be close to stock 980 Ti performance once overclocked.

I was just as Micro Center, the rep told me that that an even number 200 were in line early in the morning, but they only had 45 in stock.

Why are people so thirsty for this overpriced piece of shit? It's not like anything that needs a SLI 980 Ti setup isn't going to need a SLI 1080 setup anyway because it's not that much of an improvement over the 980 Ti.

Everybody's rushing out to drop $700 on this thing and meanwhile I'm just sitting here playing everything at 4K + 60 FPS with my SLI 980 Ti's without a care in the world. Maybe if it was a 75%+ performance increase over a single 980 Ti then it might be of interest... because then you could drop the SLI requirement to do 4K gaming.

Because people have different priorities when it comes to their money. You think it's overpriced and not worth purchasing? Fine. Just remember though there's always something that you like, that others here would probably think is overpriced and also not worth the money. Unless the person literally can't afford the 1080, if they decide it's worth the money, then it's worth the money.

I don't know what "overpriced" means. The market has a say in the price. If the cards don't sell the price will probably come down. If the cards stay sold out then the price is probably too low. Based on the chip being faster and cheaper than a titan it sounds like a good deal. All this griping really sounds like sour grapes.

I don't know what "overpriced" means. The market has a say in the price. If the cards don't sell the price will probably come down. If the cards stay sold out then the price is probably too low. Based on the chip being faster and cheaper than a titan it sounds like a good deal. All this griping really sounds like sour grapes.

They are overpriced because you get absolutely nothing for more money. In fact, I'm convinced the FE cards will be "reverse binned" and have less overclock abilities because the AIB cards will be super clocked out of the box.

In about 3 weeks I can get an Evga classified card for the exact same price which will conquer and destroy an FE card.

They are overpriced because you get absolutely nothing for more money. In fact, I'm convinced the FE cards will be "reverse binned" and have less overclock abilities because the AIB cards will be super clocked out of the box.

In about 3 weeks I can get an Evga classified card for the exact same price which will conquer and destroy an FE card.
From a fan noise perspective probably...If one doesn't care about fan noise then maybe not

If the cards don't sell the price will probably come down. If the cards stay sold out then the price is probably too low.

Your assumption would be there were enough cards to be begin with? Because they could have had 20 cards, and they sold out. Does that make the price too low?

I don't get why people are going nuts for a $700 edition card when cards with better cooling for less $ will be available in a month or so....

could it be because not everyone is running a 980 ti rig? (just guessing here)

Back