Well guys, i finally got ut2k4

BoWser

Limp Gawd
liking it so far. Got the single dvd version. what are some good mods?

red orchestra is probably the biggest mod, it is a "total realism" WW2 mod, there aren't any crosshairs for the guns and there is no meter for the amount of ammo u have left, you have to count your rounds.

lol that is awesome you have to count your rounds... that game sounds so sweet.. ya i just ordered ut2k4 off ebay the other day and it should be here before wednesday... i cant wait i even dled like all the mods and updates and map packs and most stuff i could find and it is now just waiting to be installed along with ut2k4 :) name some mods that are good other than red orchestra i might have missed some

-warsaw

which map paks are you getting? I am notcing i am missing a lot of maps that people play. I got the xp one and the patch if it included any.

there are two bonus community packs that were released by epic games... check around on fileplanet.com for them

-warsaw

warsawtag said:
there are two bonus community packs that were released by epic games... check around on fileplanet.com for them

-warsaw

Those were endorsed by Epic, but Epic didn't make them. The maps were made by members of the UT2004 community.

Here's a big list of mods for you to try: BeyondUnreal Modworks

ya i wasnt quite sure but i knew they were like official map packs... thanks for clarifying :)

-warsaw

The problem is, so many mods have come out in the last month that there has been no time for the community to grow around any of them, so servers are few and far between.

Best mods so far:
Alien Swarm, easily the best mod.

Red Orchestra, it's a love it or hate it thing. Personally, I like UT2k4 because it is the *opposite* of realistic. If I wanted quasi-realism, I would have bought BF. Slow movement speed just sucks IMO ... but, some love it, so YMMV.

Jailbreak, very well done and polished.

Checkmate, class-based DM with some unique twists, Definitely worth a look.

Rocketeer, basically UT2k4 Rocket Arena. For being an alpha, it's pretty nice.

Some mods to avoid:

Aargh! -- great concept, pre-alpha execution. Steer clear for now.
Happy Fun Ball -- well, it's a tiny download and it's good for a laugh I guess.

anyone try that golf one?

Also i tried Frag.ops. Its pretty good, nothing i havent seen before though just with nicer graphics.

bipolar said:
.... Personally, I like UT2k4 because it is the *opposite* of realistic...

Amen to that - I love it when I hear a hardcore CS player at a LAN say "How can you play Unreal Tournamnet, it not realistic at all".. bahahaha.

Anyway, the Red Orchestra mod is sweet - but it does flip the coin on UT - think of it as using the Unreal game engine.

Alien Swarm reminds me of Serious Sam... waaaaay lotta fun.

For just using UT2K4, the Map Mixer mutator rocks, you can rotate not only maps, but game types too - well worth the download.

i think im the only guy who didnt like red orchestra.

i really liked
checkmate, jailbreak, and neotokyo. but i guess thats just me :)

fun to have some mutators too :)
just hard finding servers with them.

still waiting for the chaos mod ut2k4 :D

I've tried tons of mods...but some seem to have fucked up my game. I can't connect to any servers online. Probably just a conflict with some files since I have so many mods installed (more then 20 at least). I'm going to reinstall to fix it later, but some good mods I've played:

ChaosUT - Awesome dm replacement type mod.
Red Orchestra - Like they said, love or hate. I really haven't played enough to decide yet, but it's very well done and worth trying anyways.
NeoTokyo - I personally love this mod. If it has a problem it's that the two sides are exactly the same, but still very fun.
Frag.Ops - CS clone, but still quite good.
Alien Swarm - Very fun and original...and it has coop.
Troopers - Star Wars based. A little slow, but it's done really well and pretty fun.
Jungle Warfare - Reminds me of Far Cry. I've only tried it a little, but it seems kind of stealth based and pretty good.
Deathball - You just have to try this one. I think it's the best mod I've played.
Checkmate - Seems intresting, but I haven't been able to find an online server. It was quite fun against bots, though.
Jailbreak - An interesting new gametype. I like it, but it's just a gametype, nothing particularly original.

There's some other interesting mods, but I don't really know how good they are. Unwheel, Atlantis, and Air Buccaneers come to mind in particular. They're all probably worth trying anyways. Especially Air Buccaneers, it's really unique.

Back