WELL..BOYS.. I done did it.. slightly inebriated video card purchase.. RTX 3070 from BB @ $499~ coming from RX580

atarione

2[H]4U
soo... it has been long known that the absolute best time to look for items to buy is at 2:30~AM while having had a number of intoxicating beverages... Knowing this well I decided to employ this knowledge to browse "SlickDeals" and saw this RTX3070 @msrp from BB for $499..... I have been using this XFX RX580 Black Edition card since 2019 and honestly I should have RMA'd it while i could but I got busy / distracted... whatever and didn't it has a very annoying habit of blanking out my 2nd monitor repeatedly while gaming...

Currently I have a Ryzen 5 3600 :: B550 AORUS Elite :: 16GB of DDR4 3200 and a Seasonic X750 power supply... I actually believe (correct me if I'm mistaken?) the Ryzen 5 3600 is going to bottleneck the 3070? which is not a problem because my wife's computer is ancient it is my old pc from 2014 (i7 4770K / Z87X-UD3H / 16GB DDR 3 (something or other it is corsair of some sort??) (a rather uninspiring in 2022 HD7950) and a Corsair 600w psu..) Sooo... my wife is probably getting my Ryzen ..etc rig and I am likely getting a i5-12400 ..etc

My Monitors are 2 ViewSonic XG2705-2K monitors I bought on sale at xmas that my RX580 is somewhat under powered for ?

anyways... how y'all figure this has worked out considering I was about 3 Vodka Tonics in when busting out my credit card?

This is the card in question:::
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...rk-platinum-and-black/6429442.p?skuId=6429442

Last edited:
Agreement all around. Your 3600 is still plenty good enough for the 3070.

My Son’s PC is a 3600 and 3060ti so not too far off and if you feel like the cpu is holding you back just crank up the IQ settings in games and boom back being GPU bound! 😎

heck of an upgrade.
im sure itll be fine. (cpu/gpu combo)
Yeah... I think it will be, The plan was never to run the RX580 this long... In 2019 I had a video card die... the RX580 was supposed to be a 6~12mos stop gap..but then things got "weird" with video cards.

Agreement all around. Your 3600 is still plenty good enough for the 3070.

My Son’s PC is a 3600 and 3060ti so not too far off and if you feel like the cpu is holding you back just crank up the IQ settings in games and boom back being GPU bound! 😎

Thanx for the information.... I saw some tech you tuber claiming the 3060 was getting throttled by having a 3600? but I will see how it goes.

I need to make a slightly inebriated purchase as well it seems! But I don't drink anymore and also I'd probably be a lot less lucky, or just more stupid😆

I highly doubt the 3060 would be throttled by a 3600. I run a 3060 with a 5600 and I've never had the card throttled. Even with a 3070 it should be okay. 3080 and up you'd probably want at least an i7 or Ryzen 7.

hmm... nobody at BB even tried to sell me an extended warranty when I picked this up... so far so good.. just used DDU to remove amd drivers and installed the card / drivers... why does nvidia use this weird connector that you need the little extension /adapter thing for however?? why?? oh well...
20220702_150727.jpg1656802938337.png

hmm... nobody at BB even tried to sell me an extended warranty when I picked this up... so far so good.. just used DDU to remove amd drivers and installed the card / drivers... why does nvidia use this weird connector that you need the little extension /adapter thing for however?? why?? oh well...
View attachment 488536View attachment 488537
Corsair and EVGA sell the 12 pin cable so you don't have to have that ugly dongle hanging off the card.
I believe you can get custom ones made for your particular modular PSU from various cable modders.

This is the Corsair one for Corsair PSU's.
IMG_2179.JPEG

I am now using the EVGA one since I put a larger 1600watt EVGA PSU in the PC. The Corsair HX750i wasn't cutting it with the 5900X and 3080Ti.

IMG_2227.JPEG

Last edited:
So now with the 3070 you probably spent 3 times the cost of the RX 580 purchase, same amount of RAM that won't let you play at 4K with confidence et certainly not in the future (just good for FHD in a couple of years). This card will be on the level of the low end on the 4000 series and RDNA 3.
3070 and 3080 are probably the less interesting graphics as of today even at MSRP.

So the OP was at least honest about how he made the purchase decision. LOL. I have to believe that he is hardly the only person to make a purchase in that condition. At least he didn't do a marriage proposal in that state. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
So now with the 3070 you probably spent 3 times the cost of the RX 580 purchase, same amount of RAM that won't let you play at 4K with confidence et certainly not in the future (just good for FHD in a couple of years). This card will be on the level of the low end on the 4000 series and RDNA 3.
3070 and 3080 are probably the less interesting graphics as of today even at MSRP.
I literally just bought 2k monitors.. so 1440 is where I will be for awhile at least .... I got this card for about $100 less than most 3070's cost... meh... I also was having problems with my existing card (2nd monitor blanking on and off) so I needed a card now... fair enough ... I kinda wanted to wait for 4000 cards, but with economic uncertainties and pricing /availability questions for these 4000 cards when they come out I decided I would just get the 3070 for now. I figured with my luck some sort of mining boom would start again if I waited and as previously mentioned my now out of warranty RX580 has issues anyways.
So the OP was at least honest about how he made the purchase decision. LOL. I have to believe that he is hardly the only person to make a condition in that condition. At least he didn't do a marriage proposal in that state. :ROFLMAO:

Not the dumbest thing I have ever done sober.. let alone after drinks.. =p

... I saw some tech you tuber claiming the 3060 was getting throttled by having a 3600? but I will see how it goes.

CPU's and GPU's don't "throttle" each other, at least not in the sense I use "throttle". They are independent compute units.

It's entirely possible that one might have to wait for the other, more or less frequently, depending on game engine coding (assuming this is for gaming), graphics detail settings, monitor resolution, etc. That's perfectly normal. What doesn't happen is the GPU running more slowly because of the CPU, or vice versa. Each will run flat out until it becomes necessary to wait for the other unit to catch up.

Back