Weird Windows Update available

TheGamerZ

Supreme [H]ardness
I have this optional update available to me:

ATI Technologies Inc - Other Hardware - ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver

That seems odd to me considering I don't have a single piece of ATI hardware in my computer.

Any ideas what it really is/does?

I saw this update the other day and just checking it now it appears to be gone. I thought it was weird as well.

I have this optional update available to me:

ATI Technologies Inc - Other Hardware - ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver

That seems odd to me considering I don't have a single piece of ATI hardware in my computer.

Any ideas what it really is/does?

I saw the same thing today on my Toshiba laptop. I have Intel GMA950 graphics, so I didn't understand it either.

Lots of reports of errors being caused (display primarily, but it looks like it'll affect other drivers as well) by whatever this is, according to Google search. No real info on what it is, though. Strange.

Damn, my brother just called me his Vista Ultimate 64 crapped out of nowhere after some updates, he says some ati patch was installed and his laptop has no ati hardware installed :confused:

Hope i can uninstall that hotfix and bring everything back to normal

Just roll back to the last restore point. Hopefully its on. I saw that update do yesterday on one Vista machine but not the other two. Since I had not ATI hardware in those machines I didn't install it.

I've had enough experience with hosed HW driver updates (XP or Vista) that I NEVER use Windows Update to update my drivers. If one pops up, I simply go to the corresponding website and d/l to latest direct from the manufacturer.

My 2 cents...

Back