Weird Windows 8.1 Sound issue

Ivan_Only

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on my main desktop and HTPC. I am having an odd issue, windows only appears to output sound if the sound is playing for more then a few seconds.

For example, Windows sounds do not play but if i play a MP3 or TV episode, the sound will come through. However even on longer files it seems that it takes windows a second or two to actually output it.

This is not a huge deal but Windows 7 did not do this and it is kind of annoying. Does anyone have thoughts on what this might be, or a setting?

I am using Analog out on my main desktop and HDMI out on my HTPC.

my first thought would be in the sound drivers....could be a compatibility issue going on...have you considered buying a sound card? sound blaster z works pretty well in windows 8

Sound drivers. Do not download them from the Motherboard mfg or computer mfg.

Get them directly from the maker of the codec chip.

I could almost see that being an issue on my main desktop as I am using the on board sound card, however the same issue happens on my HTPC and I am using a Radeon HD 5770 with HDMI audio out. Sorry I forgot to add that part on my original post.

Unless the HDMI audio out is just a pass through for the on board sound card.

Sound drivers. Do not download them from the Motherboard mfg or computer mfg.

Get them directly from the maker of the codec chip.

just for shits and giggles....can you give an example of this? are you suggesting people download the driver directly from realtek as an example...just wondring

I don't have Windows 8, but presumably the Control Panel is about the same...

Go to Sound, then Sounds tab. In windows 7, this will bring you to the Sound Theme section. Is there a sound theme selected and are there audio files chosen for the various events?

What happens when you pick one of the sounds there and click Play? Does it work, is it delayed, did you not hear it?

Open up the Volume Mixer and press the Test button again on the Sound control panel. Do you see the "sound bars" moving, but hear no audio? Or is everything simply delayed or hear nothing?

I'm also inclined to go with drivers as well. There have been a lot of reports regarding Windows 8.0 drivers (not audio, just in general) having compatibility issues with Windows 8.1. Make sure you are using a Windows 8.1 approved driver. If you're not sure, install one that is for 8.1 and install on top.

All of my test are delayed sounds, sounds play, but just are delayed by a second or less.

That is a good point about Windows 8 VS 8.1 drivers. I will take a look to see if there are updated sound card drivers.

Back