Weird Stuff within Windows, can access router's local site, but not the internet

coold8

Limp Gawd
Hi, I ahve been experiencing a problem for quite some time now,

The problems lies in which, I can access my router's site 10.1.1.1 from IE (and Mozilla). But I cannot access the web. The rest of the machines can access the web just fine but this specific machine cannot. Does anyone know if it is a configuration problem somewhere in windows? I have tried everything I know, from disconnecting and reconnecting, manually setting the DNS, to running even the New Connection Wizard. Thanks.

goto run, and type CMD... then type ipconfig /all. DNS, Gateway should show up as your routers IP.

Also, go into your routers web interface, find the WAN DNS and gateway, and ping those Two IP's from your desktop pc.

Depends on which model router you have...as to if your DNS will show up as the routers LAN IP itself, or your ISPs 2x DNS servers. Some routers just turn around and passon the DNS servers.

coold8 said:
Hi, I ahve been experiencing a problem for quite some time now,

The problems lies in which, I can access my router's site 10.1.1.1 from IE (and Mozilla). But I cannot access the web. The rest of the machines can access the web just fine but this specific machine cannot. Does anyone know if it is a configuration problem somewhere in windows? I have tried everything I know, from disconnecting and reconnecting, manually setting the DNS, to running even the New Connection Wizard. Thanks.

Is there any type of 3rd party firewall software on this workstation that possibly is not allowing any outgoing traffic? Is your router blocking this computers outgoing traffic by chance?

[H]exx said:
If not, call your ISP!

"The rest of the machines can access the web just fine but this specific machine cannot."

Not an ISP problem if it's only one machine on the network having problems.

Hi all, sorry for not responding earlier.

After a couple days I foudn the problem. I recieved a new Dell E1705, and it was experiencing the same problem, so I went into the troubleshooting, and found the problem, it was loosing connection to the DNS server (which is my router @ 10.1.1.1). After I released and renewed, it would grab the DNS server again. When I manually entered in the DNS server, it worked perfectly. Does anyone know why it would loose the lease on the DNS? This explains why only the LAN was working, but not the WAN. Does anyone else who owns the router have these same problems? I have the most up to date firmware. Thanks.

why in your orginal post does it say you tried manually setting the dns then?

coold8 said:
Hi all, sorry for not responding earlier.

After a couple days I foudn the problem. I recieved a new Dell E1705, and it was experiencing the same problem, so I went into the troubleshooting, and found the problem, it was loosing connection to the DNS server (which is my router @ 10.1.1.1). After I released and renewed, it would grab the DNS server again. When I manually entered in the DNS server, it worked perfectly. Does anyone know why it would loose the lease on the DNS? This explains why only the LAN was working, but not the WAN. Does anyone else who owns the router have these same problems? I have the most up to date firmware. Thanks.

Hehe, boy I feel like a complete fool.

It stopped working again, with the DNS manually set. I had forgotten I had done that in the past. Well, I tried doing OpenDNS on the router to see if that would fix it, and it was still randomally going out. I am going to contact D-Link tech support (even though their call center is in India), and try to sort it out. Thanks for your help!

Back