weird speedtest result.

omishi

n00b
Alright, guru, I am having some weird issue with my speed result and I can't figure why is it like this and the cause of it. My isp recently upgraded our internet speed from 150Mbs to 300Mbs. Below is my setup *excuse the crappy MS paint Job*
Fqg88jC.jpg

My problem is I am getting a different result from different speedtest site one is still showing my old speed and the other is showing my upgraded speed.

This one is from speedtest.net notice transfer rate in my router is showing about the same rate as the speedtest result

hqgZ5dO.jpg

This one is from dslreport and this one is showing my upgraded speed. Also transfer rate match with the speedtest result.

Ckbi7IA.jpg

I also did another test on my ISP speedtest website and the speed i get is same with speedtest.net

Y7elasl.jpg

I'm at lost here and I don't even know which one is the real rate. Also not sure if I am getting bottleneck from some setting within the router. However, after seeing the transfer rate within the router when I did the test with dslreport i doubt it. So I don't even know where to start tweaking at this point. Below is the router offload stats. QoS is disabled

kcrwS3H.jpg

PS: I'm able to achieve 200Mbps on my phone connected to the wireless AP. How is it my phone wireless connection is faster than my PC which is hardwired.

First thing. Your ISP uses an embedded speedtest.net application. Which is why you see the same results. You're hitting the exact same server.

Does plugging your desktop directly into the Edgerouter give you a different speed result on any of the sites?

Try plugging directly into your ISP modem and running the speed tests. Same result, or different?

Side note: you shouldn't be worried about QoS effecting your speed until you're approaching 1Gbps up/down on the WAN. At the very least, above 600-800 Mbps line speed

Second side note: your wireless AP should be physically plugged into your EdgeRouter in a free port. Not into the unmanaged switch. If it's physically possible. If not, don't worry about it too much.

Plugging my desktop directly into the edgerouter x get the same 150Mbps. Plugging directly into the ISP modem I get full 300Mbps from speedtest.net
I also conducted another test which I download a game from steam and am getting full speed there, actually a little more. This is tested from desktop to router
liY28rX.jpg

So I'm guessing I'm getting the full 300Mbps from my ISP. However, I'm just baffled by how these results come in from speedtest.net and what could be the cause of giving me inaccurate numbers why my desktop is connected to the router.

Potentially your ISP modem isn't in bridged mode. This could have you in a double NAT situation. Which causes much more than speed issues.

When you plugged the desktop computer directly into the ISP modem, what IP address did your desktop have? Check using command prompt and type 'ipconfig' without the quotation marks.

Do a Google search on private IP address ranges. If your IP address is within one of those ranges, call your ISP and tell them to bridge your modem.

Your goal is to get your public IP from the ISP directly on the WAN port of your edgerouter X. You can also check this within the edgerouter X GUI

2nd on bridge mode if possible. Depending on ISP, may be able to use a DMZ setup on their device to get the public IP to pass to the edge router.

Never hurts to double check network cabling for old and damaged wires. Wiring that works fine at 150Mb might just fail at 300Mb. Especially if it is an old Cat 5 cable. Doesn't take much pet chewing or shoe stomping to degrade network cabling.

I checked with my isp and they said the modem was in bridge mode to begin with. My IP address is in private rage. Public IP is listed in the Edgerouter x GUI. And I highly doubt is cable issue because I did the same test with the same cable when plugging directly to the router and directly to modem. Both yield different result. But it still strange to me that even though i was able to achieve max speed when downloading game off steam and a speed test from dslreport behind the router, speedtest.net just refuse to show me my max speed when I'm connected to the router.

I also did another test. At the moment i had my Asus RT-N66U act as an access point. I had that setting turn back into router mode and yup still getting that 150Mbps even with Asus router. So where could the problem lie?

Just want to post an update for this in case someone else runs into the same issue I'm getting in the future. I finally fixed the problem. Went to speedguide.net and downloaded one of their TCP Optimizer. Changed the setting from current to optimal and now I'm getting max speed at speedtest.net. I'll paste my before and after config below. Maybe one of you guys can narrow down the actual setting.

Old Setting

[netsh]
AutoTuningLevelLocal=0
ScalingHeuristics=2
CongestionProvider=5
ReceiveSegmentCoalescing=1
ReceiveSideScaling=1
Large Send Offload=1
Checksum Offload=1
EcnCapability=2
Chimney=2
Timestamps=2
MaxSynRetransmissions=1
NonSackRttResiliency=2
InitialRto(ms)=3000
MinRto(ms)=300
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER]
explorer.exe=4
iexplore.exe=-1
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER]
explorer.exe=2
iexplore.exe=-1
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
LocalPriority=499
HostsPriority=500
DnsPriority=2000
NetbtPriority=2001
[SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched]
NonBestEffortLimit=100
[System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\QoS]
Do not use NLA=-2
Do not use NLA_SEL=0
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
NetworkThrottlingIndex=10
NetworkThrottlingIndex_SEL=10
SystemResponsiveness=20
SystemResponsiveness_SEL=20
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
Size=1
Size_SEL=1
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
LargeSystemCache=0
LargeSystemCache_SEL=0
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
MaxUserPort=-1
TcpTimedWaitDelay=-1
DefaultTTL=-1
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters]
TCPNoDelay=-1
TCPNoDelay_SEL=0
[Local Area Connection]
MTU=1500
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{BA1404CF-B4F7-410D-8337-6EB5D7F9E5DD}]
TcpAckFrequency=-1
TcpAckFrequency_SEL=0
TcpDelAckTicks=-1
TcpDelAckTicks_SEL=0
TCPNoDelay=-1
TCPNoDelay_SEL=0

New Setting

[netsh]
AutoTuningLevelLocal=3
ScalingHeuristics=2
CongestionProvider=2
ReceiveSegmentCoalescing=2
ReceiveSideScaling=1
Large Send Offload=2
Checksum Offload=1
EcnCapability=2
Chimney=2
Timestamps=2
MaxSynRetransmissions=1
NonSackRttResiliency=2
InitialRto(ms)=2000
MinRto(ms)=300
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER]
explorer.exe=10
iexplore.exe=10
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER]
explorer.exe=10
iexplore.exe=10
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
LocalPriority=4
HostsPriority=5
DnsPriority=6
NetbtPriority=7
[SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched]
NonBestEffortLimit=0
[System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\QoS]
Do not use NLA=1
Do not use NLA_SEL=1
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
NetworkThrottlingIndex=-1
NetworkThrottlingIndex_SEL=0
SystemResponsiveness=10
SystemResponsiveness_SEL=10
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
Size=3
Size_SEL=3
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
LargeSystemCache=1
LargeSystemCache_SEL=1
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
MaxUserPort=17407
TcpTimedWaitDelay=30
DefaultTTL=64
[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters]
TCPNoDelay=-1
TCPNoDelay_SEL=0
[Local Area Connection]
MTU=1500
[SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{BA1404CF-B4F7-410D-8337-6EB5D7F9E5DD}]
TcpAckFrequency=-1
TcpAckFrequency_SEL=0
TcpDelAckTicks=-1
TcpDelAckTicks_SEL=0
TCPNoDelay=-1
TCPNoDelay_SEL=0

Back