Weird problem with touchscreens plugged into power in basement

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
So this may need to go into GenMay (I'm a subscriber) but not sure.

I've noticed that any piece of hardware I plug into the power (or in the case of the USB powered ones, into my desktop) that all of my touch screens go whacky when I touch them. This doesn't happen anywhere else in the house, only in the basement.

I have UPS's hooked up in a few spots (not on my computer, it pulls too much wattage) and nothing reports a wiring fault.

Any idea what is going on here? As soon as I unplug the devices the touchscreens work like normal. This also applies to trackpads when laptops are plugged in.

I'm assuming this has something to probably do with improper grounding. I wonder why my basement is the only place that has this problem.

I have always had touchpad mouse problems when on inverter power, interesting...

I have UPS's hooked up in a few spots (not on my computer, it pulls too much wattage) and nothing reports a wiring fault.

Personally I wouldn't trust a UPS to detect a problem like that. Go grab a wiring tester and see what it says.

Also: Is it only when you plug them into the desktop? Does it do the same thing when plugged into a usb charger?

You might have the hot and neutral wire reversed in your basement plugs, or a grounding issue. A plug tester is only a few dollars, and it'll determine if your house wiring is the issue.

Back