Weird problem with r280 and LG TV monitor

Summoner

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a MSI R280 GPU and a LG27M93V TV monitor connected by HDMI and keep getting flashing and lines on the screen at random intervals. The LG screen is a PC monitor with a TV tuner and smart features built in.

I didn't have this problem with my old card (a 6970) and the monitor, and if I switch to the onboard video (I have a Intel i7 4770) it doesn't do it either. The R280 has been swapped for another and the problem didn't go away and I've also tested my card on another monitor and no problems there.

It's almost like there's a compatibility problem between the GPU and screen. If I switch the screen PC mode off the problem seems to go away however the input lag is quite bad so it's annoying to play games.

The problem doesn't happen all the time so I can live with it, any ideas on why it would do it though? Someone on 3dGuru had the same issue and were told the GPU is too "powerful" for the screen, which seems very odd!

Cheers.

LOL, too powerful...

Are you using a TV resolution or a PC resolution in the driver display settings? My monitor gives the option of both when connected via HDMI to my GPU, so you may want to make sure a PC resolution is selected in the drivers when using PC mode on your monitor.

What does the PC mode do on the TV? If its a TV then switching to that HDMI input should work just fine.

The monitor is running at 1080p - it's a standard PC monitor with a TV tuner according to LG!

Thats a good question about PC mode - I don't know the answer and the manual doesn't explain. It does say to switch PC mode on when using as a monitor via HDMI. It doesn't have DVI or an analogue input to try.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

So your connecting it to a TV basically, no PC monitor is involved here.

1.Check what your refresh rate is on your PC (Most TVs will do 60hz)
2.Check to make sure interpolation is off. (I think its called Trumotion on LG)

LG refers to my screen as a "monitor with a TV tuner".

This is the screen http://www.lg.com/ae/personal-tvs/lg-27MT93D/technical-specifications

I have done the things you suggested and still have a problem. It really has me baffled!
It is a monitor, just with a built-in TV tuner. It might be using a lower-quality IPS panel, though.

I did find a note in the owner's manual. It just says to change your resolution settings, though. I would try a different vertical refresh rate, such as 59.94 Hz which is the standard for the 1080p television resolution.

[FONT=BryantLG Regular,BryantLG Regular][FONT=BryantLG Regular,BryantLG Regular]There may be interference relating to resolution, vertical pattern, contrast or brightness in PC mode. Change the PC mode to another resolution or change the refresh rate to another rate or adjust the brightness and contrast on the menu until the picture is clear. If the refresh rate of the PC graphic card can not be changed, change the PC graphic card or consult the manufacturer of the PC graphic card.[/FONT][/FONT]
I like how it tells you to buy a new graphic card if the refresh rate can't be changed :D.

did you tried in a different HDMI input?.. my Samsung F7500 do a similar behavior in some HDMI port, it have a Specifically HDMI port for PC that its marked as [HDM I DVI-1] if do not use that with my PC then it work with a very high imput lag, flickering and some weird lines in flash/web games..

How were you even able to find that??? It doesn't even show on the site to search for it nor does it show up under the support area

It might be an EU only product? I'm in the UK.

Thanks for the all suggestions so far everyone. It's a decent panel and it wasn't cheap (£349 or around $550) .

I've changed the refresh to 50hz from 60hz and will see if that changes anything.

Back