Weird problem connecting keyboard & mouse to a laptop

Alvein

Limp Gawd
Hello,

Just bought a laptop and wanted to play with it. For me it's impossible with the integral keyboard and the touch pad. I have a spare keyboard and mouse, both PS/2. So I bought this converter: http://inlandproduct.com/prousbconverterusbtops2keyboardandmouse-08315.aspx

In the package, it says it works with Windows 2000, XP and Vista, with no drivers.

I had a hell trying to make the laptop (Vista SP2) detect and install the converter. It was detected (HID USB *2) but appeared as "unable to start" or so in the Device Manager. Sometimes no error was shown but the keyboard and mouse were not detected anyway. I moved from SP1 to SP2 and finally they were detected with rather success.

I've noticed several lags in the inputs response**. If I move the mouse fast, sometimes it freezes for a few seconds. If I move it faster and randomly, it even can get stuck forever. Something similar happens with the keyboard. It misses some keystrokes from time to time, and behaves like if it was too fast for the converter to read (like using a big buffer which uses to be full often). In a nutshell: still impossible to play. :(

**My tests were done in the bare desktop. No game running. So figure....

It could be just a cheap converter. However, I tested the thing in Windows 2000 and XP. Worked flawlessly. So the problem is Vista, right? Any suggestions to try to fix this?

I have plans to install 7 in the near future. Should I keep the converter until then?

I'm sure I could be told "just buy an USB keyboard and mouse". OK. I just wanted to recycle my older ones. Anyway, I could be interested more in buying IR. So here comes another question. Are IR inputs good for gaming? I mean, no lags or problems with the signal view***? Surprisingly, I've never used either an IR keyboard or mouse. For one thing, I use to place (when playing) the keyboard about 15 degrees away from me (one end higher, I mean), with the mouse below in the lower triangle (I hope you get the idea :D). Would this layout work with IR?

***I know Bluetooth is better, but too expensive for the case.

Well, thank you for the long read!

Back