Weird, periodic issues with Dell XPS15

Bageland2000

Limp Gawd
I have a strange problem with the wireless network on my Dell XPS15 (9550). The throughput on wireless will bounce between typical speeds of ~80Mbps or ~220mbps depending on whether I’m on the 2G or 5G channel. All of the sudden, it will drop to the kbps and stay there for a long time (minutes to hours). I’ve been running speed tests (ookla, fast.com, LAN file transfers) while changing nothing, and it will stay at kbps speeds, then jump to normal speeds. It might stay there for while (again, minutes to hours.) then jump to kbps again.

-Running Dell 1830 Wi-Fi Card with 1.566.0.2, A07 BIOS

-No other Wi-Fi devices on my network are experiencing this issue.

-Both 2G/5G channels have the same problem; switching channels does nothing.

-Using wired Ethernet fixes the problem

-Tried uninstalling and reinstalling wireless device/driver

Any ideas?

How up to date is the firmware on the router? I'd check that first. Otherwise, I'd try other wireless devices to see if the symptoms are present there as well.

Could be a bad wifi card if everything else works.

A newer one off the Bay are 20 bucks or so, I'd go that route if it is bad. Maybe an Intel one.

The 1830 seems to have a lot of issues:

https://www.dell.com/community/Netw...less-1830-issues-Windows-10-1809/td-p/6197447

Here's what one of the internet guys complaining about it tried with some success. Might be worth a try.

"Disable all the power saving for the wifi card.

Specifically,

1. go into control panel/hardware and sound/power options/edit setting.

2. click on advanced power settings.

3. Scroll down to Wireless Adapter settings

4. on power saving mode, set On battery to Maximum Performance. Set Plugged in to Maximum Performance"

Back