Weird perf drop for 5600x

Slade

2[H]4U
In the first few days, 5600x stock/pbo/all clock seemed to be performing quite well. Then the other day noticed my destiny 2 fps mins drop significantly which was accompanied by a few hundred point drop in 3dmark and huge fps loss in vermintide 2.

The reason I say its CPU based is because the 3dmark gpu and superposition scores are still on the mark.

I have tried all clock 4.6 again, my PBO 4.8 and stock settings and they all show the drop in performance meaning it may be a CPU only thing.

I have messed with the ram settings, 3200 CL14 and 3600 CL18 and seen little variance in performance.

To give an idea of the hit: 3dmark CPU score down from 8100 to 7500 avg. (PBO and 4.6 all clock was doing 7950 and 8100)
Vermintide 2 bench took a nosedive 4.6 all clock: 181 fps PBO 178 stock 171. Now I can barely eek out 134 fps.

It has all the makings of CPU being damaged, yet the clocks still hit 4.85 in PBO, prime95 is passing fine.

I am stumped at the moment as to why I lost all this performance.

Run Prime95 in single worker/thread, Small FFT, and disable AVX/AVX2 and see if you're really stable with that +200MHz boost override on your two fastest cores. I predict you're not and it's stretching.

prime avx was dropping to 4.715 and was and is stable. Hits 74c and I ran for hours to be sure.

prime avx was dropping to 4.715 and was and is stable. Hits 74c and I ran for hours to be sure.
Please run it on single thread/worker, Small FFT, without AVX and see if stable. All core is irrelevant.

So I ran 1 cpu, 1 thread no avx and its stable @ 4837mhz @57C @ 1.29-1.31V.

Do I run each one for an hour on each core? Trying to guage where you think the instability is if all prime avx/non avx is passing.

edit: now testing core 2.

Did some quick comparisons:

Vermintide 2 Benchmark
Stock (load optimized defaults) 122

PBO left stock
mem 3600 if 1800 cl18 132
mem 3200 if 1600 cl14 141

Tweaked PBO with mem 3200 131

So stock with PBO left on its own worked the best, but still far off from the 181 and 178 scores I was getting early on. In stockish PBO default, it'll clock to 4648, while with 200mhz boost in PBO will hit 4847.

Again stumped to where the perf disappeared to as my i7 7700k @ 5.0ghz was doing 144 fps avg.
Same mem, same video card, tried different video card drivers and no difference. 3dmark and v2 seem to point to an issue with the CPU as both saw cpu scores tank about the same amount.

Last edited:
The instructions in your posts are vague and don't explain what I am to look for, so I had to track down other posts and piece together the how and why.

As it stands, I backed everything off to stock, reset memory to 3200 cl14, turned on just PBO, set to 200mhz boost, tinkered with prime, figured out core #3 & #4 is the stronger cores using prime no avx/avx2 1 worker thread any core 1 thread. Did curve optimizer and set core #3 and #4 to positive values on the optimizer while the rest were set to negative. It took positive 4 to make core #3 and #4 not error out on prime while the rest of the cores are at negative 5.

I am STILL at a deficit for performance in both vermintide 2 and 3dmark from a few days ago.

Do these chips degrade that quickly from a little voltage modification? I experimented with as high as 1.35V and 5.0 manual but no successful posts and could only boot into windows at 4.7 and 1.35 (hesitant to go higher on V), even then I could not run prime 95 avx for more than a few s before erroring out, even down to 4.6 errors would happen in seconds so I gave up on manual overclocking and experimented with PBO to initial success which lasted all but a day.

Do these chips degrade that quickly from a little voltage modification? I experimented with as high as 1.35V and 5.0 manual but no successful posts and could only boot into windows at 4.7 and 1.35 (hesitant to go higher on V), even then I could not run prime 95 avx for more than a few s before erroring out, even down to 4.6 errors would happen in seconds so I gave up on manual overclocking and experimented with PBO to initial success which lasted all but a day.

Sounds like you fried your chip. Fried it rare, at least. Like a good steak.
Overclocking isn't a safe bet. It's popular around these parts, but sure as heck ain't safe.
Face it. You fried your chip. Don't try to RMA this.

Sorry, but sometimes this happens. Your only option is to own up and either sell it for cheap as a "fried over-easy" chip and buy a new one, or just use it and accept your fate. But don't try to RMA this. The warnings were clear.

The oddball aspect is cinebench r23 scores are barely off in stock form from a normal 5600. SC is 1530 while MC is 10600. Cinebench site has 1590 and 11200 respectively so you'd think they'd be affected by the same amount.

CPU-Z score shows 623 and 4736 which is also within deviation.

Respectively, those should show degredation too in score so something is bugging me in how this is working. It's also been prime no avx stable at both stock and PBO speeds after the fact. default PBO still brings clocks to 46.5 and 200mhz boost hits 4850mhz. It's just game performance is well off.

Last edited:
The oddball aspect is cinebench r23 scores are barely off in stock form from a normal 5600. SC is 1530 while MC is 10600. Cinebench site has 1590 and 11200 respectively so you'd think they'd be affected by the same amount.

What would get fried might be specific transistor pathways and modules.
Maybe parts of the PCIe lanes got fried, or maybe it was some decoder chip that got jolted.

It might not be a uniform frying across all cores either.
It's possible that you just accelerated the natural decay of a chip over time, and fried up all the weaker transistors, performing some sort of "evolution" on your chip, meaning all the remaining transistors are the ones that were more resistant to high voltage from the beginning, on a nanoscopic level.

I think you're messing with things a bit too much.

Sounds like the performance goes down when you have both GPU and CPU going at full blast, possibly your GPU is heating up your CPU enough to cause it to throttle?
That or something in the background is taking up precious resources that you've installed since then.

What do the temps look like?

I am on an AIO 280 cooler. Cinebench r23 hits 80C in ryzen master with PBO boosting to 4650 mhz. Motherboard reads 69C. I tend to believe ryzen master.

3D Mark saw a peak of 83C near the end of the CPU test, which seems to indicate it's throttling. I've read about a 82C throttle temp. This goes hand in hand with V2 as it is very CPU dependent. The issue though is that V2 is not getting the max clocks, ryzen master is saying I am running 4450 with a temp around 62C

Last edited:

You cannot manually pick a voltage at random that "YOU" think is safe. Each chip is unique and voltage scales to the individual silicon. There's a process to finding your own specific chips safe voltage for a particular clock. Recommend you stop overclocking and either read up on this or set it to auto cuz you will degrade or fry the chip continuing on this path.

The point was I did not force the voltage other than those early attempts. I had settled on PBO and auto everything and was using it as auto when it stopped working. I was actually messing with the curve optimizer to bring down to negative numbers and was at -15 at the time and still getting great perf. I noted that even in stock form, the voltage was spiking as much as 1.42V to hit 4.6 which is why I had a no post situation at anything 4.7+ and undervolted. Even now, it still spikes up in V in auto to those voltages. It seems like this is a dud cpu at this point. It's stable in auto mode and hitting 4.65 on its own. It's cinebench scores seem to only be off on the multi core by 6% which doesn't explain the huge drop in games like control where I can't even get past 100 fps where my i7 7700k could be hanging around 130.

The point was I did not force the voltage other than those early attempts. I had settled on PBO and auto everything and was using it as auto when it stopped working. I was actually messing with the curve optimizer to bring down to negative numbers and was at -15 at the time and still getting great perf. I noted that even in stock form, the voltage was spiking as much as 1.42V to hit 4.6 which is why I had a no post situation at anything 4.7+ and undervolted. Even now, it still spikes up in V in auto to those voltages. It seems like this is a dud cpu at this point. It's stable in auto mode and hitting 4.65 on its own. It's cinebench scores seem to only be off on the multi core by 6% which doesn't explain the huge drop in games like control where I can't even get past 100 fps where my i7 7700k could be hanging around 130.

When one says the voltage spikes...

The voltage will do whatever the asic and boost algorithm tells it to do. In other words if voltage is set to auto then you don't worry about the spikes because it is doing what it was designed to do.

Basically it was working as advertised, then the other morning went to fire up a game and the performance was gone. The previous night had done a raid in destiny 2 for 4 hours. I can swap out the memory, video card, storage and psu back into my old system to game for now. I am at a loss as to if the os is messing with me or something from the ai tuning suite which I installed but did not agree with it manually overclocking the cpu so I uninstalled it and went back to pbo.

I fixed it! Blew away windows and reinstalled. V2 framerates now at 199 fps avg.

I think the last thing I did after the raid was test the ai tuning software but something didn't go right with it.

Prime, cpuz and cinebench were telling a story that the cpu was fine. Fried cpu usually crashes and errors out, not crunches prime numbers accurately. The pbo overclock nor attempts to boot at v below stock v peak fluctuations will kill a modern cpu like back during the p4 era.

Last edited:
I guess my only real complaint is that the PBO is useless to me (it may work fine for others). While I don't see any temps that concerning, the scores say +200 mhz is not giving me an uplift but dropping scores vs running stock. Peak at stock is 46.5 while 200 is naturally 48.5 yet 48.5 scores are consistently lower.

I got ram, fclk and if to clock in at 1866 mhz. 1900 on the if and the pc would not post. mem and fclk hits 1933 with if at 1866, but that results in a performance hit vs 1:1:1.

I fixed it! Blew away windows and reinstalled. V2 framerates now at 199 fps avg.

I think the last thing I did after the raid was test the ai tuning software but something didn't go right with it.

Prime, cpuz and cinebench were telling a story that the cpu was fine. Fried cpu usually crashes and errors out, not crunches prime numbers accurately. The pbo overclock nor attempts to boot at v below stock v peak fluctuations will kill a modern cpu like back during the p4 era.
AI suite is trash, avoid at all costs.

Yeah I saved myself the trouble of saying no to armor crate install and ai suite after that last experience.

Back