Weird Network related probelms, can't connect to certain protocols

Urraca

Gawd
Okay, I am completely stumped with these issues I am having. I seem not to be able to connect to certain services/programs. I can not connect to IRC, I get a "software forced disconnect error" or somthing of the sorts. However, when I change the port from 6667 to 7000, I can connect. I can not send out e-mail via my comcast pop account, I can however receive it. I can not connect to KaZaa. I can however upload/download fine with bitorrent.

I am using the onboard ethernet controllers on my MSI neo2 plat mobo, the only firewall I have running is the Windows XP one, and i'm behind a Linkys wireless 802.11b router (hardwired in though).

However, all other computers on my network do not have this issue, just my main rig. Any idea of what this could be? Thanks alot

Since your behind a router you should be fairly safe to try and disable the Windows XP firewall. Have you tried that?

Are the other PC's Windows Xp with the Firewall on and same updates?

Once you are past your router you should appear as any other machine behind your router with the exception of source port, which shouldent be a problem.

It sounds like the PC itself is having issues. Have you run the gambit of Spyware/ Adware / Virus removal tools on it yet? Check your Hosts file while your at it.

Yes, all my virus definitions are up to date. I have tried disabling Windows Firewall. Making the problematic computer the DMZ host through the router. Did all the spyware removal etc. Still no go.

Do you have another network card laying around you can try? Make sure you are using the latest drivers a well! I dont have a good reason as to why I would do this, I just know it might be my next step if I were in the same situation. Easy to test if you have one laying around.. Especialy if you have a USB one.

Yeah, I don't have an extra nic, grrrr. Also, all drivers are up to date.

No extra NIC = That stinks.

Well hmmm.. When we were having issues with VPN at work I set up an apache web server that had web services running on diffrent ports to test weather a provider was blocking a port along the way. You could either do this or find another server type program (i.e. telnet server) try running it on a port you are having issue with (most server applications allow you to change the port) and then try telnetting to it on that port.. That would at least confirm it's a port issue.

Okay, well I just hooked up my rig to a completely different network. Different router, different ISP, different everything. My Mobo has a dual lan with the nVidia NIC and a realtek NIC. Both have the same problem.

I'm guessing it's either a software conflict, or an overall hardware problem. The only firewall I have installed is the Windows XP one, which I have tried to disable. What other software programs could be causing a conflict?

We had a guy show up at our LAN party this month with the same board. For some reason he could not do ANYTHING on the network(connected, wouldnt grab IP address, even manual config failed). We even tried an extra NIC that we bring, nothing. The only fix was a format, which worked great.

Back