Weird MSI Afterburner Bug?

Ghoststalker

Limp Gawd
My GTX 970 is no longer applying it's memory overclock. I click apply and it says the speed I set, but if I change it automatically goes back. Turns out its not applying at all (shows default clock in games, though I have it set to +300). Any ideas whats going on? I tried a quick reinstall (without uninstalling) and it still happens.

I've had odd issues like that in past versions of AB, what fixed it for me was a complete uninstall and reinstall of both GPU drivers and AB software.

Well, now to make it even more weird the memory won't overclock at all with EVGA either (at least its not showing up in the OSD.)

Time to reinstall drivers.

What I personally would do if I encountered that issue and couldn't get it started back applying settings - I would uninstall the app and drivers / use a cleaner / reinstall app and drivers. That should help you I would think as I have had the issue come up in the past and that is how I fixed it.

Well, it worked for a bit after reinstalling drivers but came back (even using EVGA). Going to try and do a clean reinstall w/ driver cleaner.

Well I just did a clean reinstall of the video drivers using DDU. Still isn't applying my memory overclock (or at least its not being reflected in the GUI of EVGA pRecision X or MSI Afterburner.) Is there something I need to check to unlock it? Don't remember needing to do that before. The slider moves, but it doesn't appear to work.

Bizarre.

Well I just did a clean reinstall of the video drivers using DDU. Still isn't applying my memory overclock (or at least its not being reflected in the GUI of EVGA pRecision X or MSI Afterburner.) Is there something I need to check to unlock it? Don't remember needing to do that before. The slider moves, but it doesn't appear to work.

Bizarre.

Can't really say what the issue might be I'm afraid, but to be honest I'm not sure if this is really worth your time? OC'ing memory seems to give very little in terms of added fps....

I recall having similar issues with both the core and memory on my Radeon 7850 back in the MSIAB 3.x days. Only older builds of AB would halfway apply properly (but the dynamic clocks later always f***ed me in the Radeon drivers). Have you tried an older build of AB?

Had a lot of problems with Afterburner 4.1.0. It used to crash about 30 mins after PC start (even in 2D mode), or didn't give up correct readings from GPU. but I believe the culprit was those fancy skins. Once I reverted to the original one, the problems disappeared (but OSD reports still break textures in Homeworld Remaster)

TItan X users noted that somewhere there is a 4.1.1 in screenshots, but hasn't been released yet.

This seems related to League of Legends in some way. My overclock was working fine earlier, then in that game alt-tabbing seemed to kill it.

hmmmmm.....

What clock should I be seeing for default memory speed? I would assume in the OSD it would show around 3500mhz (7ghz default clock). Mine is showing 3005mhz.

Weird thing is when I reboot I get 3800mhz (my +300 offset) then randomly it goes down to 3000mhz (that's a 500 mhz underclock) and stays there. Is it possible the card is defective or maybe the bios is wickety whacked?

Weird thing is when I reboot I get 3800mhz (my +300 offset) then randomly it goes down to 3000mhz (that's a 500 mhz underclock) and stays there. Is it possible the card is defective or maybe the bios is wickety whacked?

That sounds like driver recovery (tdr). Check any gpu/cpu overclocks, system memory stability and timing, psu age, etc. Generally you get to see a black screen for a second or so, though. Some of the 970 card definitely had problems, but it doesn't seem as severe as the 560 debacle.

Back