Weird memory compatibility issue

damnathan

Limp Gawd
Ok, here's the deal:

Got a GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard from Newegg, and some Crucial Ballistix DDR3 RAM, as seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148323&cm_re=crucial_ballistix_ddr3-_-20-148-323-_-Product

My first build using this setup works great. So I needed to build a second computer, and I bought the same parts again. The thing is, the newest motherboard will not run more than one stick of the stuff at a time. Each stick individually works perfect, but with 2 its just a long beep, pause, long beep, and it won't boot. I tried the sticks from the first build in the new motherboard (same motherboard as the first build) and I get the same problem. Both motherboards are running the same bios as well. It seems something changed with the second motherboard, even though they are the same revision. However, I noticed the markings around the front panel headers are a little different, so its like they revised things a little, but not enough to call it a new revision. I've tried setting timings manually, upping voltages and such as well, still not working. Should I just write this off as an incompatibility issue that can't be resolved?

Last edited:
A lot of manufacturers have problems with Gigabyte motherboards. When I bought my X58A-UD3R the OCZ Gold c8 1600 wouldn't work, I had to switch to Corsair, before I got a great price on some Mushkin which I love.

From what I understand, Gigabyte runs tighter timings on many of the RAM options that we wouldn't normally touch. For overclockers who buy good ram, this is great, because they get even better performance without a long journey into RAM OC'ing. And anyone who has tried to dig into this can tell you there are a lot of options and it can be quite tedious.

Also it's not a brand specific problem, its more of a price point and IC issue than it is bad ram. There is a reason it is so nicely priced. For people like me who bought some cheap ddr3, well it can't run at those tighter timings, in fact it can barely run at stated timings.

A lot of manufacturers have problems with Gigabyte motherboards. When I bought my X58A-UD3R the OCZ Gold c8 1600 wouldn't work, I had to switch to Corsair, before I got a great price on some Mushkin which I love.

From what I understand, Gigabyte runs tighter timings on many of the RAM options that we wouldn't normally touch. For overclockers who buy good ram, this is great, because they get even better performance without a long journey into RAM OC'ing. And anyone who has tried to dig into this can tell you there are a lot of options and it can be quite tedious.

Also it's not a brand specific problem, its more of a price point and IC issue than it is bad ram. There is a reason it is so nicely priced. For people like me who bought some cheap ddr3, well it can't run at those tighter timings, in fact it can barely run at stated timings.

Yeah I have lost all respect for OCZ after the issues I just had with them. I'll stick to Corsair from now on.

Back