Weird M.2 SSD Adapter sighting of the day

They're M.2 slots, just keyed either B or M (can't tell which), although they'll probably accept B&M keyed cards (which is what most SSDs are).

That would need a 32-lane PCIe bridge chip, which is going to make it expensive and power-consuming.

Full circle is now made: M.2 was invented to put SSD on mobo replacing external SSD box and SATA cable, now there is invented external box to put M.2 SSDs into it and connect via SATA cable.

What really will be needed are cables to connect PCIe SSDs to M.2 for two cases: PCIe card and 2.5" format. In this way M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 slot could be used not only with M.2 SSDs but with PCIe SSDs in any format.

In this way M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 slot could be used not only with M.2 SSDs but with PCIe SSDs in any format.

This adapter does not make much sense. Every mainboard with an x4 M.2 slot I know of shares the lanes with a x4 PCIe slot. So you do not gain anything my using the M.2 slot for an PCIe SSD.

this soley lets you get more storage into a smaller space but possible performance killer.

56203812.jpg

Dear god why?

as I already have a single msata to sata adapter for tech purposes, I could see this as a limited application tech tool, for example data recovery from a msi gaming laptop (many models use 3 or 4 ssd's in raid for the os drive). If the board croaked, you could likely plug the ssd's into an adapter like this, and hook it up to another intel chipset board to recover files without trying to find an identical model laptop.

Otherwise, this adapter is pretty worthless, imo.

Back