Weird lost profile problem between client and server...

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
Sometimes, I have to reboot our company's server, which is a Poweredge 1800 running on SBS Server 2003 w/Exchange 2003. Here's the problem I'm having. When I reboot, there's this particular computer on the network which has this "lost profile" problem.

When this computer has to be rebooted, it comes up with the error "Windows cannot logon using this profile. A temporary profile has been created.....". So I end up having to copy the entire user profile using an admin account on the computer, deleting the user profile folder, logging in, and then copying the user profile back to the newly created profile folder. You know. Standard procedure for recovering a corrupted profile.

The question that I have is whether or not this problem is related to the server? Or maybe it's something else sinister happening, like maybe the hard drive of this computer is failing? I doubt it, because the only time that it happens is when the server has to be reboot.

Bump. I'd like to get some input on this and see if anyone else ever experienced something like this.

When the client machine is rebooted then logs in the message appears on the client machine right?
Go pull your error logs after the clients tries to log in and see what comes up.

Here is the error as it shows up in the Event Viewer on the client's machine.

Event ID: 1511
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

I have seen this and what I do i exactly what your doing in let the machine create the profile when renaming it.
The issue I ran into was when I copied the other profile back. There was something in there making the issue repeat.
I would only copy the favorites/outlook local profile and local documents. Dont replace the entire structure and then test again.

I have seen this and what I do i exactly what your doing in let the machine create the profile when renaming it.
The issue I ran into was when I copied the other profile back. There was something in there making the issue repeat.
I would only copy the favorites/outlook local profile and local documents. Dont replace the entire structure and then test again.

I would do this, but it's not that simple. Yes, I did think the exact same thing you did; it's only logical that there is something within the profile structure that is causing the corruption somewhere.

The problem is that the client happens to use AutoCAD and a lot of other software that is deeply configured into their profile; if I just copy the favorites, docs, and outlook profiles, everything else is going to be lost.

But you can do this just for testing purposes to see if it works. If it works then we know its definately a profile issue.
If we find out its a profile issue then we can work on restoring the profile specifics.
Your user also has to understand that sometimes machines dont work as intended but you are going to work to fix it!

If the profile rebuilds and logs on OK (test a few times) then start rebuilding from scratch. I would have the user config auto cad on his own time but dont copy the profile stuff back or you will be back at square one

Back