Weird issues on my 7900x build

groebuck

2[H]4U
asrock 670x, 7900x cpu, Noctuah (sp?) cooler evga 3090 ftw3 and three nvme drives.
64 GB of ddr5.

The first weird issue my second nvme just disappeared. I reseated it - so far so good still there. I got in the first descendant beta. Installed it ran the game my whole PC crashed and had to run windows recovery. Back up and running but every time I tried to run the game it would crash. Uninstalled and put it on my OS drive, and everything seemed fine.

Played a few rounds of it tonight game would just stop. No crash screen just gone. I could restert in Steam but it did it two more times. I dropped the graphics from very high to high. and that seemed to make it more stable.

I was undervolting but I turned that all off to trouble shoot. - I suspect my powersupply is just not cutting it. Corsair 850 wat platinum...so I got a EVGA 1300 watt GT - have not put it in yet.

So Hardopcers what do you think?

I am having a bit of buyer's remorse. I love the idea of the 7950x... and have been a longtime AMD and Intel fan.

However, things are a bit gooey still. The X670 does not appear to me completely stable. I have an Asus Creator, which is an amazing board, but I think Intel is a more mature product at this point. My boot times are horrendus, the Asus team (not AMD's fault) has all the AM4 troubleshooting guides that they are using for AM5. My post times are around 40 seconds. That.Drives.Me.Nuts. There is no setting to fix that.

To top it off, I can't boot to UEFI unless I have an hdmi monitor installed to the board (iGPU). There is no setting to disable the iGPU. Asus tried to tell me where it is, I have pictures to show that it isn't.

Point is, if you go back and look, AM4 (when it came out) had a TON of issues. I think AM5 is in the same boat. I don't fault AMD for it entirely, but Intel clearly has their stuff together better. Buddy of mine just built a 12900k, and it boots (post included) in 4 seconds. It takes me 44.

So, I don't think its your PSU. I think the chipset drivers are virgin, the bios is still very young, etc. The board for me has been stable, except for one strange overnight straight up crash. I am doing water, and frankly have not noticed any temp issues at all, nothing like the reviews say.

I have buyer's remorse right now, but hopefully I can get a CPU update out of it or maybe two, and then I will not feel so bad.

Forgot to mention, it is crazy fast. Came from a 3900x, and this runs all my stuff much faster. I put a real load on it, and it is much more responsive and quick.

The fix for long boot times is don't turn the computer off. Sleep it instead. I only turn mine off if I'm going to be away for more than a couple days.

Oh yeah try resetting the bios with 4 DIMMs in ....it is a 6-minute wait time to post. No reason has been explained why other then they note it in the documentation. Oddly enought last night when I turned the graphics down to high from very high it was more stable so I think it is teh power draw. Before this I played Back 4 Blood and Outriders on full max graphics but never had an issue but that was on a 5900x.

Your issue sounds related to PCIe lane Sharing with regard to your nvme drives. I would try just one single drive in Slot 1 and see if the issue persists. If not, add the 2nd ect. Also for the Slow boot, you cannot fix this. DDR5 has to "Relearn" its timings with the memory controller every time the PC power cycles. Only a bios update will make this any faster.

So I replaced my power supply. Which...probably didn't need to I thougth it was my corsari 850, not it was a zalman 1000 watt platinum....doh. But it gave me the opportunity to make sure everything was connected right and re thermal paste my cpu. Get it all buttoned up with my new 1300 watt evga. Fire up Outriders so far so good, then 10 mins into game play. crash. I could be the nvme my steam games are on so I moved it to my os drive as a test. Did not have time to game more it was late. I suspect the third NVME slot is buggy, which would suck since I put my 2tb there and I need the other 2tb for my work (run my labs on virtual off it). I am beginning to regret upgrading so fast.

I am having a bit of buyer's remorse. I love the idea of the 7950x... and have been a longtime AMD and Intel fan.

However, things are a bit gooey still. The X670 does not appear to me completely stable. I have an Asus Creator, which is an amazing board, but I think Intel is a more mature product at this point. My boot times are horrendus, the Asus team (not AMD's fault) has all the AM4 troubleshooting guides that they are using for AM5. My post times are around 40 seconds. That.Drives.Me.Nuts. There is no setting to fix that.

To top it off, I can't boot to UEFI unless I have an hdmi monitor installed to the board (iGPU). There is no setting to disable the iGPU. Asus tried to tell me where it is, I have pictures to show that it isn't.

Point is, if you go back and look, AM4 (when it came out) had a TON of issues. I think AM5 is in the same boat. I don't fault AMD for it entirely, but Intel clearly has their stuff together better. Buddy of mine just built a 12900k, and it boots (post included) in 4 seconds. It takes me 44.

So, I don't think its your PSU. I think the chipset drivers are virgin, the bios is still very young, etc. The board for me has been stable, except for one strange overnight straight up crash. I am doing water, and frankly have not noticed any temp issues at all, nothing like the reviews say.

I have buyer's remorse right now, but hopefully I can get a CPU update out of it or maybe two, and then I will not feel so bad.
Yeah, that's why i'm sitting this out for at least a generation. As much as I love my X470 board; I'll be honest - There were weird platform/BIOS bugs with this thing all the way up until basically this summer when AMD finally fixed the TPM stutter, etc. A few years back there were quite a few other issues that were slowly patched out. However, this has still been fairly trouble-free compared to some past platforms. Don't get me started on the nightmares with nForce.

I forgot to mention, at least for Asus, they are still using the AM4 bios screens for support. Suffice it to say that the AM4 screens are not the same as the AM5 screens. Fun to explain that the option really isn't there for something.

This (again) would be an indicator that at the very least, this is a young product.

And it's damned stupid unless you run ECC memory....
All DDR5 is ECC i thought

Unlike DDR4, all DDR5 chips have on-die ECC, where errors are detected and corrected before sending data to the CPU. This, however, is not the same as true ECC memory with an extra data correction chip on the memory module. DDR5's on-die error correction is to improve reliability and to allow denser RAM chips which lowers the per-chip defect rate. There still exist non-ECC and ECC DDR5 DIMM variants; the ECC variants have extra data lines to the CPU to send error-detection data, letting the CPU detect and correct errors that occurred in transit.[23]

Without the communication back to the CPU (and thus the user) that errors have occurred it’s meaningless. The entire benefit to ECC is knowing as a user the errors are occurring so you don’t have to guess, and you can replace/fix the issue as soon as it starts trending.

No. Memory errors are random events, they aren't related to power-on time. Besides, most sleep states power down the memory.

You are in error. Bit flips are a function of poweron time, memory density, and cosmic rays.

Assuming cosmic rays to be a constant, more memory density or more poweron time, or both, increase the soft error rate.

Regarding sleep mode: Memory modules are not powered down per se- their refresh continues running to keep the data alive in RAM, which is VOLITILE memory and must remain powered. The only sleep mode that powers down the memory is "Hibernate"- for obvious reasons.

Back