Weird email from Sony Playstation Network

Gnasher

[H]ard|Gawd
I received the below email yesterday. Looks phishy, huh? They used my real gamertag too so that means Sony Network has been compromised or I am wrong and it is legit.

Add [email protected] to your address book

===================================

PlayStation(R)Network

An important message to you from the
PlayStation(R)Network team at Sony Computer
Entertainment America LLC.

On April 1, 2011, Sony Computer
Entertainment America LLC ("SCEA")
will transfer its online services
operations, including your wallet
and the funds in it, to Sony Network
Entertainment America Inc. ("SNEA").
The first time you sign in to your
Sony Online Services account on or
after April 1, you will be asked to
enter into a new Terms of Service and
User Agreement with SNEA. If you do
not wish to enter into a contract with
SNEA, you may decline the terms of
service and we will close your account(s)
and return your funds. You can preview
the new Terms of Service and User
Agreement with SNEA at:
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xnclccnEcWllHHEHWclccqPqqJJ

PlayStation(R)Network will continue to
provide you with the highest standard
of interactive entertainment. Your
access to the best games, movies, TV
shows, music and friends will remain
intact. Thank you very much for being
part of the PlayStation(R)Network online
community! We look forward to continuing
to bring you the best in innovative
online entertainment!

Your PlayStation(R)Network password and
Sign-on ID (xxxxxx) is required
to sign in to your Sony Online Services
account. Please go to >>
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xnclccnEcWlJqqEHWclccqPqqlq
to ensure your account information
is accurate and updated.

The PlayStation(R)Network Team

LEGAL
"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are
registered trademarks and "PS3" and
"PlayStation Network" are trademarks of
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
(C) 2011 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404

Add [email protected] to your address book

PlayStation(R)Network

Avertissement important : conditions
d'utilisation et accord utilisateur
mis à jour

Ceci est un message important de la
part de l'équipe de PlayStation(R)Network
de Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.

Le 1er avril 2011, Sony Computer
Entertainment America LLC ("SCEA")
effectuera le transfert de ses opérations
de services en ligne, et notamment de
votre porte-monnaie et du montant qu'il
contient, vers Sony Network Entertainment
America Inc. ("SNEA"). La première fois
que vous vous connecterez à votre compte
Sony Online Services à partir du 1er
avril, il vous sera demandé d'accepter
des conditions d'utilisation et un accord
d'utilisateur mis à jour pour SNEA. Si
vous ne souhaitez pas accepter ce nouveau
contrat vous liant à SNEA, vous pouvez
refuser ces conditions d'utilisation,
ce qui entraînera la fermeture de votre
ou vos compte(s) et le remboursement de
vos fonds. Vous pouvez consulter les
conditions d'utilisation et l'accord
utilisateur mis à jour de SNEA à l'adresse >>
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xnclccnEcWllHHEHWclccqPqqJJ

PlayStation(R)Network continuera à vous
fournir des loisirs interactifs de la
meilleure qualité possible. Vous aurez
toujours accès à vos amis et au meilleur
des jeux, des films, des séries TV et de
la musique. Nous vous remercions de faire
partie de la communauté en ligne
PlayStation(R)Network et nous espérons
pouvoir continuer à vous offrir des
loisirs en ligne innovants et de
grande qualité !

Votre mot de passe et votre ID de connexion
(hobbit99) PlayStation(R)Network sont
nécessaires pour vous connecter à votre
compte Sony Online Services. Visitez la page >>
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xnclccnEcWlJqqEHWclccqPqqlq
pour vous assurer que les informations de
votre compte sont correctes et à jour.

L'équipe PlayStation(R)Network

LEGAL
"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are
registered trademarks and "PS3" and
"PlayStation Network" are trademarks of
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
(C) 2011 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404

Hmm? Found a reference to the same email here.

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/447541-scea-will-now-be-snea/

Bit more digging and found this. They say it is legit. If it is then all PS3 owners here should have got one too. No? Fuckwits of Sony to send unsolicited email and then say the new EULA takes place on April 1st. Any internet savvy person would think it is is suspect immediately.

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/03/24/scea-moving-online-operations-to-snea/

I won't be agreeing to new terms so Sony can say bye-bye to me ever buying any games from their online store and can remove my user data too. In my search I see that Sony customer database may well have been hacked in the past (2008) so they are not to be trusted with my data anyway.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada. Even that innovyx website made me think scam because it is not the usual Sony website address and when I was researching them I ended up here http://www.qriocity.com/psnlegal/ca/tos.html
How does that make anyone think it is all legit when it is not even Sony but some other company called QRIOCITY?

If I don't agree and they close my SN account then how can I download games I have already paid for in the future if I need to?

I got the same Email. It does look spammy, purely because the sender is innovyx.net (and contains urls to it).

No one can be this stupid, can they?

[email protected]

RTFURL

If you play WoW, you may be lucky enough to get an email from [email protected] with a free beta key to their next expansion! Just log into your account at wowblizzardexpansion4.com and you will automatically be granted access!

edit: am I the idiot here and Sony is actually transferring their login services to a third party? I'd wait for confirmation from Sony to claim this as legit. Joystiq does not count as a legitimate source. I highly doubt this is legitimate. There's no way Sony would have you log into a third party site to transfer your account...it would be done seemlessly behind the scenes. Seriously, Joystiq is not a reputable source, and never has been.

edit2: I hate myself for even thinking for a fraction of a second that this had a chance of being real. No, it's not. Joystiq is retarded. End of story.

Last edited:
I got no such email.
Also @playstation.innovyx.net and April 1st make me want to call shens on this.

[email protected]

RTFURL

If you play WoW, you may be lucky enough to get an email from [email protected] with a free beta key to their next expansion! Just log into your account at wowblizzardexpansion4.com and you will automatically be granted access!

edit: am I the idiot here and Sony is actually transferring their login services to a third party? I'd wait for confirmation from Sony to claim this as legit. Joystiq does not count as a legitimate source. I highly doubt this is legitimate. There's no way Sony would have you log into a third party site to transfer your account...it would be done seemlessly behind the scenes. Seriously, Joystiq is not a reputable source, and never has been.

edit2: I hate myself for even thinking for a fraction of a second that this had a chance of being real. No, it's not. Joystiq is retarded. End of story.

I actually think its legit. I too at first marked it as spam and thought it was the strangest spam i ever received. The giveaway of course being that crazy domain and the ending url "XkljdfhKLJXFJKHXFM". Figured it was a phasing attempt. Once I saw this thread I went back and looked at it and they never once asked for any information. I still dont understand it but sometimes companies make mistakes.

edit: am I the idiot here and Sony is actually transferring their login services to a third party? I'd wait for confirmation from Sony to claim this as legit. Joystiq does not count as a legitimate source..

No, they just used third party to distribute this email. I got it also. Your PSN login stays with Sony.

[email protected]

RTFURL

I guess we'll see if you get a new ToS when you sign into PSN on April 1st......

Try here:

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Online/sony-network-entertainment-america-snea-new-tos-on-april-1/

or here:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/01/...ation-network-sony-network-entertainment-inc/

In fact just google Sony Network Entertainment and see for yourself....it isn't just Joystiq lol

No, they just used third party to distribute this email. I got it also. Your PSN login stays with Sony.

Yeah talk about horrible execution imo. Its nothing more than an updated TOS in the email but it still looks like a phishing attempt lol.

I guess we'll see if you get a new ToS when you sign into PSN on April 1st......

Try here:

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Online/sony-network-entertainment-america-snea-new-tos-on-april-1/

or here:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/01/...ation-network-sony-network-entertainment-inc/

In fact just google Sony Network Entertainment and see for yourself....it isn't just Joystiq lol

I checked the Joystiq article, and as there does appear to be a legit email concerning this, I think the one in the OP is a phishing attempt. The legit email quoted in those articles has a redirect to the Playstation site to update your information, not some random third party site.

If it is legit, they picked a stupid day to do it if they wanted to be taken seriously.

The rep stated that this is indeed a valid email. His response was " we are sending it out so people understand what they are signing". Basically people call all the time with issues and claim they have not read the EULA. They just wanted people to know they are transforming from a LLC to a Inc. When I asked about the "wallet and funds in it" part of the first paragraph we both agreed that sounded odd coming from a major company like Sony.

Hope this clears it up

Robert Przybylowicz

I found this thread searching google for "[email protected]"

Ya it was a pretty badly done up email. The only reason I investigated it was because they had my user name correct and I thought that was pretty spot on for a phishing email (as opposed to the generic World of Warcraft emails referenced earlier that I get daily)

This was set up by the same workgroup that installed the rootkits a few years back.

Tark

I can't believe so many ppl are whining overthis are you all idiots. its justtellingyou that you will geta new TOS to agrees ure enough when i logged in on april 2nd there wasa new TOS to lok thru aned either agree or disagre, I suggest you agreeto it or go play so mewhere else.

Back