Weird connection issue (Cable modem)

Josh_Norem

[H] Consumer Editor
Every once in awhile the Internet connection to my desktop just stops responding. The only way to restore it was to reboot my PC.

Now, I have a Netgear router. My desktop is hard-wired to the router.

The last time the Internet stopped working on my desktop, I fired up my laptop and sure enough, the Internet connection was fine. It's just something with my desktop apparently.

I'm using my Asus P5NSLI onboard Ethernet.

Now, I got tired of always having to reboot. It happens like three or four times a day.

So, the last time the Internet stopped working, instead of rebooting my PC I just went into Device Manager and disabled the Ethernet connection, then re-enabled it.

For some reason, that worked. The internet connection came back instantly.

So, I do not think it's a problem with the router. But rather something to do with my onboard Ethernet.

I can fix it, as stated above, but I'm not sure what is causing it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance.

on-board nics are usually shit and should be disabled in bios in favor of a pci hardware nic.

since it's onboard though, the driver will play a huge role in how well it operates. Check your mobo manufacturer's website for updated drivers. don't use the crap that comes in a windows update either.

Other things to check are replacing your Ethernet cable and try using a different port on your router. only make one change at a time so you know what caused it.

Thanks for writing. My mobo ended up crapping the bed, so I just replaced it with a 680i board. I hope the problem will go away with the new board.

Back