Weird command prompt issue, closes immediately

GaleForce

Gawd
I've never had this issue before and I'm completely clueless as to how I should go about fixing it. When I run cmd the command prompt opens for a split second and then closes before I can type anything in. The same holds true for any program that opens the command prompt. I'm trying to use a winzip self extracting file and when it opens the command prompt to do whatever it needs to do the prompt closes right away. Anyone know how to fix this?

BTW, this is in Windows XP pro.

If you try opening msconfig or regedit and they close immediately, then thats a sure sign of a newer virus. I would first try updating your antivirus, booting into safe mode, and then doing a scan. Hopefully that will fix it.

Can't even get regedit or msconfig to open. I'm going to download the latest version of AVG and see how that fares.

Also use the programs in my signature. They scan for spyware, which can behave like viruses at times. Update them before scanning, just like you would with a virus scanner.

I have both of those as well. I ran AVG in safe mode and it didn't find any viruses. I'll run those two programs as well but after that I really don't think its an infection.

Please try:
http://safety.live.com as well.

But yes this is usually a sign of a virus, or a corrupted cmd.exe on disk. Can you run command.com and does that work? Can you navigate to C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and copy it to something else and run that?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back