Weird Coincidence

ohgod

Gawd
My friend has been having a problem with his computer. First his power supply had died, we replaced it with another PSU, a few days later that power supply kind of stopped working, You turn on the power supply, press the power switch it starts to turn on , like the fans start spinning, and then it stops in less then a few seconds. We tried another power supply and had the same result. I am at a loss, we switchd out the motherboard and the CPU with exactly the same thing and had the same result.
Current Computer Specs.
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9800XT
Corsair 512mb PC 3200 RAM
430 Watt PSU.
I dont have any other power supplies and cant try the video card in another system cause its AGP. Help would be appreaciated.

You have the heatsink mounted to the CPU incorrectly.

Well it can't be his PSU that's causing the problem (the idea of two PSU's having the exact same problem is not realistic). It must be something else.

As Jonny mentioned, if the CPU HSF isn't mounted properly then your system BIOS may be cutting power to prevent the CPU from burning out. This is much more likely then two PSU's with the exact same problem.

GVX said:
Well it can't be his PSU that's causing the problem (the idea of two PSU's having the exact same problem is not realistic). It must be something else.

As Jonny mentioned, if the CPU HSF isn't mounted properly then your system BIOS may be cutting power to prevent the CPU from burning out. This is much more likely then two PSU's with the exact same problem.
I respaced the motherboard and CPU with exacctly the same thing.

Also, make sure you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header, some BIOS watch the RPM of the CPU fan... if it's not spinning, it shuts off the system.

ohgod said:
I respaced the motherboard and CPU with exacctly the same thing.

Right. And you can screw up putting the fan on again and again.

Especially with a Socket A.

Trust me. I'd RMA a CPU and/or motherboard for the same guy three or four times before he realized the heatsink was mounted 180 degrees backwards so the die wasn't getting a flush contact with the bottom surface of the heatsink.

Socket A sockets are not symetrical. The cam lever creates an offset. Therefore, the heatsinks are also offset from their clips. Check it out.

Back