Weird browser problem

Vlad335

Gawd
A couple pages will not load for me. I click on them in my favorites and they begin to load, then the browser window is blank and "Done" is displayed in the lower left. No "This page cannot be found " or any other message, just a white screen.

Same problem with google links. Half of them will not work.

I am running XP Pro. I run Ad aware, Spybot, Crapcleaner, and Trendmicro virus scan religiously. Also, I tried the 'Winipcfg' command in the Run menu to try and release and renew and this will not work as well.

Have you tried clearing your browser cache and then re-visiting the pages?

Yeah tried that. Crapcleaner is supposed to do this but I tried in manually also.

Make sure to close the browser after clearing the cache, and then open a new window.

Is it possible they are blocked in your Hosts file? I quite often get websites that won't load becasuse they have been blocked by using a loopback to the local machine in my Hosts file. Spybot can be set to add entries to the Hosts file. If a site is blocked it will look like this in your Hosts file.

127.0.0.1 www.microsoft.com

Default Hosts file should only have this entry.

127.0.0.1 localhost

Just use find to find the Hosts file on your boot partition and use notepad to view what's inside it. Malicious websites can also hijack your Hosts file to redirect you to their website and that is why I use a limited user account when on the internet as nothing can touch the Hosts file then.

Back