misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
specs:
venice core 3000+
1 gig geil 512mb pc3200, 512mb corsair xms pc3200
asus a8v deluxe
128mb 9800 pro
onboard sound

ok so here's the deal, whenever i startup bf2, it plays for a little while, then it either 1)screen freezes, music loops a little while, then completely stops, or 2) computer restarts.

after i reboot, it usually runs just fine for hours on end?

wtf is the issue? thanks in advance! i'll post more info if needed.

misfitsfiend said:
specs:
venice core 3000+
1 gig geil 512mb pc3200, 512mb corsair xms pc3200
asus a8v deluxe
128mb 9800 pro
onboard sound

ok so here's the deal, whenever i startup bf2, it plays for a little while, then it either 1)screen freezes, music loops a little while, then completely stops, or 2) computer restarts.

after i reboot, it usually runs just fine for hours on end?

wtf is the issue? thanks in advance! i'll post more info if needed.

1. Any other games experience this?
2. Are you overclocking?
3. Heat issues?
4. Did you resintall different CATS?
5. Onboards are notoriously sucky and unreliable, have you tried disabling sound or putting in a PCI sound card?
6. Mixing and matcing different brand RAM sticks is a very bad idea, especially for Athlons. Try taking out the Corsair and leaving in the Geil
7. Antivirus software running? Spyware problems? *you'd be surprised*

Start with that, process of elimination is best way to approach it

IceWind said:
1. Any other games experience this?
2. Are you overclocking?
3. Heat issues?
4. Did you resintall different CATS?
5. Onboards are notoriously sucky and unreliable, have you tried disabling sound or putting in a PCI sound card?
6. Mixing and matcing different brand RAM sticks is a very bad idea, especially for Athlons. Try taking out the Corsair and leaving in the Geil
7. Antivirus software running? Spyware problems? *you'd be surprised*

Start with that, process of elimination is best way to approach it

2. no overclocking

3. no heat issues.

4. i have the newest cats. the only other game i tried was the F.E.A.R. demo and it would have the same issue, so i deleted it. bf2 would constantly freezen and reboot, but once i downloaded the latest cats this issue occured. i'd much rather be able to play it after reboot then not at all, so i stuck with it but it's really starting to irritate me now.

5. i don't have any pci cards either, i did try changing the sound from "software" to "hardware" in the in-game settings.

6. i'm gonna try this now.

7. no antivirus running, i use firefox, and i regularly clean out for spyware.

thanks!

Update your chipset and sound drivers. I'll check later (won't be home today, Saturday at best) and see what version of CATS I'm using (I have a 9800). I know it's several version back since I don't update often unless I see a fix I need.

edit: Run memtest86+ for several hours, located on the ultimate boot CD, link in sig.

I posted a thread that unfortunately I forgot to update about a similiar issue with an x700 on a P4 pci-express board. Same issues, before I updated to the 5.8 cats my brother would say the screen would go black intermittenly or portions of it would. PLease let me know if you find out what the issue is. My specs are

P4 530 (i think 2.8ghz)
ECS 915-PA motherboard
ATI x700 pro pci-express video card using 5.8 cats
1gb pc4200 ddr2
250gb hitachi hd SATA
Winxp pro with SP2

I actually tried to run Halo on his pc and I'd get a directx error.....

-Rikus

Phoenix86 said:
:eek: :eek: With the game running, or no AV at all? :eek: :eek:

with the game running.

also, i can't seem to find the "drivers" you speak of? with my nforce2 in my sig, they have a "driver package", but i see nothing of the like on the asus website. what all should i download? i don't have RAID, so i don't need any of the controller, SATA crap. the only thing i can see that i could possibly need is the sound drivers.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

IceWind said:
I turn mine off when I game, its not that big of a deal.
That's VERY different than none running at all. ;)

misfitsfiend, That link is bum, it's a cookie based session type thingie (techincal term). Go here, click on downloads, select mobo, then socket 939, then A8V Delux and hit search. Go to the drivers page, there is a VIA 4-1 download, this is your "chipset" driver.

Phoenix86 said:
That's VERY different than none running at all. ;)

misfitsfiend, That link is bum, it's a cookie based session type thingie (techincal term). Go here, click on downloads, select mobo, then socket 939, then A8V Delux and hit search. Go to the drivers page, there is a VIA 4-1 download, this is your "chipset" driver.

sorry for the bad link, i couldn't find the chipset drivers on asus' website, so i dl'ed them from VIA, i'm installing this as we speak.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070

Go to http://totalbf2.com/forums/ and search for crash reboot... its a really common problem. I started getting it super frequently after I maxxed all the settings to high :(

Put them back to medium and it will run for 2-3+ hours now.

(All temps low (WCd), all drivers updated (chipset/mobo/vga/sata/etc)).

The forum listed above will list lots of people's unique fixes.

I thought it was my system until last night when I found a TON of posts with the SAME exact problem. I've been stressing for a month+ thinking it was some weird quirk in my machine and troubleshooting for hours on end.

misfitsfiend said:
took out the 512mb corsair, and it crashed again. getting miffed! :mad:

Mkay, take out the Geil and just put in the Corsair. Slowly but surely, were gonna find the problem, were just eliminating possibilities

ok, sorry to bump this old thread, but just wanted to post the solution i found from another forum.

ok, so i guess there is some sort of problem bf2 has with certain motherboards involving AMD processors running the ram in dual channel, i hope they will fix this in the next patch.

i found that by taking my 1 gig of ram off of dual channel, i fixed the problem.
(the memory banks were like this- X | X |)
(now like this- X X | |)

notice the space between the first dimm slot and the third dimm slot. (the x are the ram sticks)

this has completely fixed my problems. i've heard before that dual channel doesn't make THAT much of a difference on amd based processors, but i'm still dissapointed that i'm not getting the maximum performance from my hardware due to battlefield 2.

misfitsfiend said:
ok, sorry to bump this old thread, but just wanted to post the solution i found from another forum.

ok, so i guess there is some sort of problem bf2 has with certain motherboards involving AMD processors running the ram in dual channel, i hope they will fix this in the next patch.

this has completely fixed my problems. i've heard before that dual channel doesn't make THAT much of a difference on amd based processors, but i'm still dissapointed that i'm not getting the maximum performance from my hardware due to battlefield 2.

That's cool, man. I'm certain others searching this forum will find the info helpful.

Due to the Athlon arhitecture and its memory handling scheme, any real world AMD non-dual-channel performance hit is neglibible ... less than 1% for most folks. It's nothing that a human would notice.

Have almost this same setup. I had the same exact problem untill I took my cats back to 5.6

Back