Weird, annoying windows behavior... please!

slowbiz

2[H]4U
Okay, so I've been having some issues with windows. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's driving me nuts... so here goes.

1. I always get the stupid password screen when I start up.. even though I'm the only user and I have no password (I even have tweakUI set to auto login as me)... but it still comes up.

2. My screen saver always changes back to the crappy ass windows xp one.

3. My shut down screen looks like a windows 2000 one with a drop down list for 'shutdown, suspend, restart... etc', instead of the buttons.

This just came out of nowhere, and it's making me crazy! Wot's... uh the deal?

One more thing... if I do the ctrl+alt+del, I don't get task manager... I get the "windows security" thing that has task manager, change password, lock computer, shut down, log off.... you know. I hate it this way. This is not an office computer.

1. You have the .net framework installed which adds a user called ASPNET, which is why you now get the logon window. To remedy this go to Start > Run and type:
control userpasswords2

Highlight your account and uncheck the option to promp for a password.

2. Is is a custom screensaver or one of the built-in ones?

3. Could be a couple things.
-Turn off Classic Start Menu if it is turned on.
-In the control pannel under User Accounts > Control how users logon > Make sure Use Welcome Screen is checked.

I didn't know about #1. That solved the password issue. I did all the other stuff already... no luck. I don't have the ASPNET user account anywhere. I'm still getting windows 2000 style drop down shut down screen. Any more ideas?

Go into Control Panel, User Accounts and there is an option to "change the way users log on"

I think it has to do with the Fast User Switching service.

I know you said it wasnt an office PC, but was it added to a domain by chance somehow?

An alternative to CRTL+ALT+DEL is CTRL+ Shift+ESC, this will bring up the task manager regardless of whether you have classic log on or not, and also works for remote desktop.

Also you could try go to start > run > gpedit.msc, under computer config > admin templates >System > Logon, change "always use classic logon" to disabled

Back