Website Tracks and Displays Your BT Downloads

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why would someone create a web site that tracks and displays your BitTorrent downloads? Well, according to the site owner:

“We just want to remind people that the Internet is not a place to expect privacy,” he says. “Nowadays many people use it without understanding what information they leave behind. Also, even those who understand choose to ignore it quite often.”

For giggles I actually clicked on the site. It said I downloaded a torrent of some spanish language christmas song, I forgot the name already.

Uhmmm, yeah, wouldn't worry about that site. Only thing I could see it doing is emphasizing how flawed IRAA, etc. tracking methods are. Fundamentally though they have the right message I suppose.

Yeah, so far that site has shown that you can still expect privacy if only by the technical incompetence of others.

Hi. We have no records on you.

This means you are using a private torrent tracker or, of course, you may not be a torrent user at all! It happens. Please, entertain yourself. Feel free to see what other people have downloaded. The search box is on the top. If you have any friends who use torrents, use it to scare them off. We also have a widget that you can install in your website, blog or Facebook page. Or you can just send them a link to this site. They will see a table similar to what you see below. The only difference — they will see their downloads.
Well, you are in the clear. But look what others do

Hi Pirate IP 123.456.123.456! We got you! (In our database). You like torrents, don’t you? At least someone in your house does. It looks like you are from United States, somewhere around California. According to our records, you have downloaded a couple of files. Below is a table with examples. You can click on any filename to get more details. Of course, we are sure that you didn’t violate any laws of United States and downloaded only legal stuff, right?

“We just want to remind people that the Internet is not a place to expect privacy,”

How about a bonk on the head with a hammer. Just so you know how it feels. You know, just in case...

I don't torrent and I think this is a dumb-ass idea.

people torrent? last thing i torrented was a linux distro... although i do dl blizzard games and their updates and they have a very similar swarm based distribution. Else i don't see why people just don't use file sharing sites, even if you're caught at most you're just taking you're not part of distribution which is what people get the large fines on but w.e not my problem i stopped pirating things when i got a steady job for once.

rofl it got me!

Downloaded files

Name Date
Independence Day [BDRip-1 ... Chapters][RiP By MaX].mkv (7.96 GB) Dec, 2011

the ONE time I don't use one of my private torrent sites....

Looks like the site just got going. It's not a bad idea. They can consult with RIAA and offer trial evidence. I understand experts like that get paid well.

This only catches the complete idiots that leech.. and they are already being caught anyways, in small numbers. This will maybe help catch a couple more, if any at all

There's so many ways to avoid getting caught, of course you have to find out yourself... one way to avoid might work, or not. Just know there is multiple legal ways to avoid being "seen" this way, by anyone including even your ISP, if you are THAT paranoid...

Well apparently my wifi is secure enough for my country, no records whatsoever of mine so it hasn't been leeched off and misused :p :) (i have it obscured and i use alphanumeric + signs as part of my password),

Lulz.
hahaec.jpg

No records on me. Though really that isn't a surprise since I don't pirate anything.

No records on me. Though really that isn't a surprise since I don't pirate anything.

Ditto.

I looked for the heck of it anyway. I once took a breathalyzer voluntarily when leaving the NCO club, and it showed a minor reading - when I had never had a drink.......EVER.

I was curious if anything would show on the site in the same way.

Sketchy site, I wonder if they are using the facebook login to try and pair names to the ip addresses.

I tried 10 different captchas, and then reloaded it over and over until every single character was a definite (no lower case L's, no i's, no 0's, no o's, etc) and could not get one to match. And there is no f'ing way i'm logging in with FB.

Didnt have anything on me either, although I don't really torrent much anymore.

lol Thought of this:

12228350.jpg

This only catches the complete idiots that leech.. and they are already being caught anyways, in small numbers. This will maybe help catch a couple more, if any at all

There's so many ways to avoid getting caught, of course you have to find out yourself... one way to avoid might work, or not. Just know there is multiple legal ways to avoid being "seen" this way, by anyone including even your ISP, if you are THAT paranoid...

Advertising you are a pirate on HardOCP forum where you can't even delete or edit your own post is not a good way to start. :p

No records on me but look at all these people... so sure I clicked and did

Code:
Name 	Date
Sexual+Communication.pdf (396.89 kb) 	Dec, 2011
Soul+Sex+Excerpts.pdf (1.08 MB) 	Dec, 2011
The+Top+One+Hundred+Lovem ... echniques+Of+All+Time.pdf (138.63 kb) 	Dec, 2011
the+art+of+kissing.pdf (44.62 kb) 	Dec, 2011
Sex-Ploytation+-+How+Wome ... terdeath1009+projectw.pdf (757.08 kb) 	Dec, 2011
Three keys to seducing any woman.pdf (284.29 kb) 	Dec, 2011
Male+G-Spot.pdf (3.56 MB) 	Dec, 2011
How+to+Hypnotize+Your+Lover.pdf (108.54 kb) 	Dec, 2011
Make+Women+Laugh.pdf (591.62 kb) 	Dec, 2011
David Michaels - When a m ... makes love to a woman.pdf (596.94 kb) 	Dec, 2011
The Prohibition of Pork' A Scientific Proof (38.35 kb) 	Dec, 2011
Bernhard Hennen - De geva ... koning,NL Ebook(epub).DMT (3.04 MB) 	Dec, 2011
Instyle.UK.January.2012.pdf (123.05 MB) 	Dec, 2011
Understanding_Pure_Mathematics.pdf (19.13 MB) 	Dec, 2011
Las Vegas for Dummies(2010)BBS.pdf (5.35 MB) 	Dec, 2011
The Devil and Demonism Ea ... dern England(2009)BBS.pdf (2.60 MB) 	Dec, 2011
Swindled The Dark History ... rfeit Coffee(2008)BBS.pdf (21.94 MB) 	Dec, 2011
Grammar Book (17.73 MB) 	Dec, 2011
Webuser Stay Anonymous Online 2011-03-24 (32.38 MB) 	Dec, 2011

Desperate guy... should have downloaded the last one first! :D

Also checked my old IP before I swapped providers

Wow!!

Are you sure you and your friends don’t work for the RIAA? Maybe Sony or Universal? Maybe you’re both just really good at covering your tracks. Either way, congratulations, neither you or your friends and family returned any results from our crawlers. Tonight, you can jump into bed, open up Netflix or iTunes and sleep comfortably knowing that you’ve been a well-behaved, law-abiding internet user. But remember, there’s always tomorrow.
There’s... always... tomorrow...

:D:D:D:D:D

No records on me but look at all these people... so sure I clicked and did

Code:
Name 	Date
Male+G-Spot.pdf (3.56 MB) 	Dec, 2011

Desperate guy... should have downloaded the last one first! :D
Male G spot, hmm?

Well. Looks like that Russian site has a 'noid account...

Peerblock FTW

No records on me

The general lists I am using on Peerblock, pretty much all of the defaults, won't help with this site. As the IP(s) the site uses to track/log hasn't been added to the lists yet. A few people who use Peerblock 24/7 have reported to have a few torrents shown up on this site. Hopefully the lists will catch up soon..

Back