Website to check spam addresses?

provoko

Gawd
Is there a website that can check an e-mail address to see if they're known to spam? Or a known facebook bot? Thinks like that.

Thanks.

I have always run people, email, names whatever through pipl.com

Normally pulls some interesting stuff

Spoofing an e-mail address is trivial and thus not an accurate way to check for or block spam e-mails. ex. I can send an e-mail using your e-mail address as the From: and make the To: your mom, and make it look like you sent the e-mail to her. The only way to know, and still somewhat easy to spoof, is to check the e-mail headers and find the originating IP address. You can take that IP address and go to one of the popular spam blacklists, such as Spamhaus or Spamcop and see if anyone else has reported that IP address as sending spam in the past.

You can also go to www.mxtoolbox.com and input an IP address. The site will check multiple blacklists and see if the IP address in question has been blacklisted.

Spoofing an e-mail address is trivial and thus not an accurate way to check for or block spam e-mails. ex. I can send an e-mail using your e-mail address as the From: and make the To: your mom, and make it look like you sent the e-mail to her. The only way to know, and still somewhat easy to spoof, is to check the e-mail headers and find the originating IP address. You can take that IP address and go to one of the popular spam blacklists, such as Spamhaus or Spamcop and see if anyone else has reported that IP address as sending spam in the past.

This. The "from" address on an email is similar to the return address on a piece of snailmail. The sender can write anything they want there. Blacklists work based on the IP of the sending mail server. Systems like SPF tell if the "from" address matches the server that the email is coming from. This will detect forgeries (e.g. [email protected] coming from zombiepc.comcast.net), but it's just as easy (or even easier) for a spammer to set that up on their own spamming domains (e.g. [email protected] coming from mail.supercheapdrugsite.com or any other server they designate).

Back