Website Shows You What It’s Like To Be Dyslexic

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This Javascript-created simulation will show you what it’s like to have a reading disorder, but it probably manages to be more coherent than some of the crap you see posted on social media.

Dyslexia, also known as reading disorder, is characterized by trouble with reading unrelated to problems with overall intelligence. Different people are affected to varying degrees. Problems may include difficulties in spelling words, reading quickly, writing words, "sounding out" words in the head, pronouncing words when reading aloud and understanding what one reads. Often these difficulties are first noticed at school. When someone who previously could read loses their ability, it is known as alexia. The difficulties are involuntary and people with this disorder have an unaffected desire to learn.

1st and last letters stay the same makes reading that easy, plus that's one of many characteristics that can fall under dyslexia.

So is that what it's like with dyslexia? The letters jumble around constantly like some bad movies code breaking montage? I thought they simple saw stuff jumbled up or misread stuff in wrong order, not that it was constantly jumping back and forth.

Is it possible to implement this in a Perl script that filters posts on a proxy for a Wi-Fi server?

strange, I had no trouble reading that... does that mean I have reverse dyslexia?

strange, I had no trouble reading that... does that mean I have reverse dyslexia?

I could read most of it pretty easily as well.

Then again, I can read stuff that is backwards, mirrored, and/or upside down really easily.

Yeah that needs to have the first and last letters move also, otherwise it not that hard to read except for words you are unfamiliar with reading of which he through a lot in there on purpose. I do realize that if the text looked like that all along it would near impossible to become familiar with the words, but to make someone who is not otherwise dyslexic realize what it's like moving all the letters is necessary.

Last edited:
So is that what it's like with dyslexia? The letters jumble around constantly like some bad movies code breaking montage? I thought they simple saw stuff jumbled up or misread stuff in wrong order, not that it was constantly jumping back and forth.

I have never seen letters jump around like that before. Yes, the words seem out of place, and then later they seem to be in place, but there is no sense that there was a shift on the screen or page like that. Though I cannot say that that doesn't happen for other people.

It feels like your brain re-orders it internally. More of a "yea that doesn't look right.... oh wait, yes... yes that does look correct.... not sure why it looked so strange when I first looked at it"

For me at least, I will look at a sentence and it will be a garbled mess. Not that words are unreadable, but that nothing makes sense. I'll try reading it again and be unable to proceed all the way through the sentence. Then I'll look at the sentence as a whole and everything will appear in a meaningful order and I will be left wondering why I was struggling so hard on such a simple phrase. Worst case scenario, I can brute force the meaning by full stopping every single word. Though its rare to have the latter anymore.

The most amusing thing is writing on glass, like restaurant doors. I can read forward and back, left and right. That't not difficult. The difficult part is something like the word "PULL" on a glass door. I can read it instantly, I just cannot tell if the word is facing me or not. Inevitably, I react in whatever way makes me look the most stupid. I think this might also tie in my inability instantly distinguish left from right.

Maybe mine is more mild than others. Also, I think I have adapted over the years.

There's a difference between having the letters jump to and from the correct positions, and what that web site is suggesting. They are straight up permanently scrambling the letters. Also, I think some of the letters flip/rotate versus moving for sufferers.

I have never seen letters jump around like that before. Yes, the words seem out of place, and then later they seem to be in place, but there is no sense that there was a shift on the screen or page like that. Though I cannot say that that doesn't happen for other people.

It feels like your brain re-orders it internally. More of a "yea that doesn't look right.... oh wait, yes... yes that does look correct.... not sure why it looked so strange when I first looked at it"

For me at least, I will look at a sentence and it will be a garbled mess. Not that words are unreadable, but that nothing makes sense. I'll try reading it again and be unable to proceed all the way through the sentence. Then I'll look at the sentence as a whole and everything will appear in a meaningful order and I will be left wondering why I was struggling so hard on such a simple phrase. Worst case scenario, I can brute force the meaning by full stopping every single word. Though its rare to have the latter anymore.

The most amusing thing is writing on glass, like restaurant doors. I can read forward and back, left and right. That't not difficult. The difficult part is something like the word "PULL" on a glass door. I can read it instantly, I just cannot tell if the word is facing me or not. Inevitably, I react in whatever way makes me look the most stupid. I think this might also tie in my inability instantly distinguish left from right.

Maybe mine is more mild than others. Also, I think I have adapted over the years.
Completely agree.

The problem is... Dyslexia is described to the masses by people who do not have dyslexia ESPECIALLY when it is kids that are asked.
Does it really look like that? no, can it appear that looking at a word one moment to the next could be read differently? YES but it doesn't mean its dancing around like people are on acid...

but it doesn't mean its dancing around like people are on acid

Paraphrasing Ellen DeGeneres' toad licking comedy routine: "Dude read this ... you could get high!"

This is pretty accurate, but it's not that the letters dance around visually, it's that your focus on what letter is next can shift, making the letter before the next seem like it follows, VERY difficult to learn with.

Does OpenDyslexic font help you?

Does OpenDyslexic font help you?

That's pretty cool, I haven't seen that before. We should probably ask someone with a more extreme case how effective it is. Preferably someone younger than I that is still struggling to retrain their brain to cope with it.

b d p q are troublesome letters that looks like it would be alleviated by that font style. However, I don't tripped up that often with those anymore. The reason for this mostly experience and practice. What I mean is if I come across a "b" in a word like "brother" it will always be a B to me because none of the other letters will form a correct word. But if you just wrote a lower case "d" on a page and said what letter is that? It would take me a little longer to answer.

Anymore, the most difficult thing I come across anymore is a series of small words in quick succession:
  • then they checked to see if it is in the room.
Often I will just know I read it wrong if it looks like a question to me but it is missing the question mark.

Class of 2002:

9 out of 10 dyslexics prefer us.

(That was actually one of my high school class' t-shirts :cool:)

Back