Website review needed

HCLPfan

Gawd
Hey guys, was hoping you could review my site www.EternalFun.com and lemme know if you have any suggestions to make it better n such...

Yes i know i need a doctype...just not sure which one to use

Thanks,
Andrew

great site.. had lots of fun playing the Flash games!!

my only recommendations
- add a doctype
- get rid of the inline font declarations..use CSS instead
- i suspect most of those nested tables could be reduced or eliminated

beyond that.. i can't really find much to complain about. well, back to the flash games!

"Add a doctype"

"Yes i know i need a doctype...just not sure which one to use" - any idea which to use?

"i suspect most of those nested tables could be reduced or eliminated"

Heh, yeah i've been known for my unnecesarily large use of tables

And thanks for the complements guys :) tell your friends!

HCLPfan said:
"Yes i know i need a doctype...just not sure which one to use" - any idea which to use?

oops.. sorry.. i had missed it in your original post :eek:

i'd say start off with HTML 4.01 strict

hah! i ran the validator for my site on HTML 4.01 strict and:

This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Strict!

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser

i've got some work to do

I think it looks pretty good, but there's nothing at the bottom of the page so it looks "unfinished". Add a copyright notice, privacy policy, whatever.

Also, don't use html tags to re-size your images. Your pic pages load very slow because of that.

I should manually resize? I've got over 100...it will take forever lol. I'll work on it
I'll try and come up with a part for the bottom so it looks better

I agree with one of the above posters...the bottom of your site does look a little bit empty or unifinished. I like the left side of the main page where you started to add graphics behind your text, as it fancies it up just a bit. I'd recommend doing some sort of footer to tie things together a little bit more. On pages with less content (texts, contact, etc.) I'd continue the left side table all the way down, and fix that same table column on the links page.

I may have to take you up on some advertising...shoot me a PM with some stats if you get a chance.

- It could have some stronger alignment.
- I don't like the fonts used on the image titles
- You could probably do some interesting rollovers on the tabs. Also you could use the tabs to alert the user what section they are in.
-The top color bars are not flush on the right side.

May I suggest a 2 or 3 px padding on your mugshot images? It would make them line up with the title and seperate them from your news text a little too.

Looks good, looks like a good site. Congrats on focusing on content!

Also, you should add a favicon.ico for people who bookmark you. :p

xENo said:
Also, you should add a favicon.ico for people who bookmark you. :p

I think I tried that once before with a different site. Do I simply need to make a gif/jpg and rename it an ico? Or is there a special way to do that?

I believe its a 16 color bmp, renamed to .ico. Also, use the following code in your head tags...

Code:
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="favicon.ico">

If you are looking for a way to resize a large number of images in one go Irfan View is perfect (free as in beer). Check out the "Batch" conversion tools and you can be set in next to no time.

If you use Photoshop or Paintshop Pro there are also Batch conversion tools built into those.

Back