Webserver -> all in one vmware server + san

cloc

n00b
I just saw this all in one idea here on the forum:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1621544

II need something like it. ts for websites in production. Any one any recommendations for what 2 buy. I have not thoughts about price, but max size should be 3 units. Maybe I missed a page with all this info, then please guide me to it. The read perfomance is important, higher is better, but not for all costs.

From the link:
His hardware spec:
If you want to build your own system, i can use and can recomend the following sample config:
Use a Mainboard with Intel server chipsets 5520, 3420 or 202/204
I always prefer Supermicro mainboards from X8-.. or X9.-- series ending with -F for remote mamagement,
Use always Xeons and a minimum of 12 GB RAM, with SuperMicro X9 you may need an additional Intel Nic
If you use/add an SAS controller based on LSI 1068 chipset or LSI 2008 (ex LSI 9211-8i) you have it running without pain.

Cheers

Claus

All right, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Yes, sorry for my rush.

(1)The server is needed for webpages and backup. Based on vmware + linux
I have a problem with speed I/O, so basic, its storage. I really need to find a way to create a fast storage to the lowest possible price and to avoid a sanswitch and all that could be perfect, therefor the link to the other tread.
(2) Max 2000$
(3) Denmark
(4) I will have these spec:
Mainboard SuperMicro X9SCL+F - CPU ? not idea, maybe Xeon E3-1220L
4 x 4 GB ECC RAM (check RAM compatibility list at SuperMicro)
40 GB Sata Bootdrive, connected to onboard SATA in AHCI-mode
Sata DVD
4 x 2 TB SATA discs. (energy saving is not an issue)
LSI 9211-8i SAS2 Controller

(5)Do have a G7 Proliant 320 1 unit server (and som g5 also). But I do not think I have space in that one for an extra card, for the storage/speed.

(6) no
(8) now
(10) VMware, ESXI, free + linux

So main problem I/O. I am searching google to find someone who have been creative and has incorporated a small san solution into HPs prolian 320 (1unit). Could be a solution, but I have not seen it.

Regards

Claus

Check to see if the Norco RPC-3216 3U server case and the Seasonic X750 Gold 750W power supply are available in your country. Motherboard wise, go for the Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O since that's the more popular and therefore more than likely easier to get support Supermicro mobo over in the Data Storage subforum. As for the CPU, the Xeon E3-1220L is not available from more reputable stores here in the U.S so you may not be able to find that CPU in Denmark or even Europe altogether. So I'd recommend going for the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 CPU

Hey, Thanx, will have a look.

Really not easy to get items which is tested and recommended (I do not find your recommendations i any retail/webshop here). Have another idea: If I just take a server, HP proliant DL360, add a controller card for the luns/vmware. That might be an idea for the VMWARE+SAN box (but not much space)

Way to necro a thread from over a year ago man.

Back