webOS to be contributed to the open source community

TheResidentEvil

[H]ard|Gawd
webOS going open source

Today, we announced that HP will contribute our webOS software to the open source community and support its development going forward. We believe that this is the best way to ensure the benefits of webOS are accessible to the largest possible ecosystem.

Since we announced the discontinuation of our webOS devices last August, the executive team has been working to determine the best path forward for this highly respected software. We looked at all the options in the market today and we see a clear need for a platform that is both open and has a single integrated stack.

webOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected, and scalable. By providing webOS to the open source community and other hardware vendors we have the potential to fundamentally change the landscape.

HP engineers, partners, other developers and hardware manufacturers will be able to contribute to the development of webOS. Together, we have an opportunity to make it the foundation of a new generation of devices, applications and services to address the rapidly evolving demands of both consumers and enterprises.

I would like to thank the webOS team for continuing your efforts under very difficult circumstances during these last couple of months. Your dedication is very much appreciated.

This is a very positive move for the development of our people, our software and HP overall.

We strongly believe that the best days for webOS are still ahead.

[snip]

We strongly believe that the best days for webOS are still ahead.

Considering Palm had relatively small sums of money, released a Pre that rotated as well as slid, and HP released a single (unfinished) product, I don't see how this is a terribly difficult goal.

To be clear, I love the concept of WebOS. I LOVE cards. But the the touchpad should haven't been released until three or four months after it did.

And I'm still waiting for the ability to use bookmarklets.

WebOS is still dead. Until the OS is completely irrelevant, there's only room for a couple platforms. Republican/Democrat, Coke/Pepsi, Windows/OSX... Yeah, you can vote for the Constitution Party, drink RC Cola, and run Linux, but 99% of the public can't because they're sheep.

WebOS is still dead. Until the OS is completely irrelevant, there's only room for a couple platforms. Republican/Democrat, Coke/Pepsi, Windows/OSX... Yeah, you can vote for the Constitution Party, drink RC Cola, and run Linux, but 99% of the public can't because they're sheep.

And you're the 1% I suppose?

Because CEOs are just as dumb as the next person.

No doubt CEOs make plenty of VERY expensive mistakes that cost other people their jobs and livelihoods while the CEO is protected. But hey. they are the "job creators"?:confused:

Back