Webhostingpad Claiming "Unlimited" Storage and B/W for $77 for 36months

ZeosPantera

Limp Gawd
I just bought 3 years from http://www.webhostingpad.com for $77 US and they throw in a free domain. I plan on using it as a backup for EVERYTHING I have from family photo's to 700+gigs of HD Movies to games I have installed. I imagine on my 2Mb upload will take a good...calculating...

1.5 TB @ 250KB/s 600,000seconds == 100,000minutes == 1,666hours == 69.4days == holy crap I need a better upload speed. Maybe if the affiliates program WHP has works I could afford some.

Anyone know of a good free program that will do automatic backups to FTP?

Last edited:
good question and good deal for storage....

FTP backups... hmm, 250k upload is slow... DSL?

good question and good deal for storage....

FTP backups... hmm, 250k upload is slow... DSL?

well its 2Mbit upload which translates to about a quarter of a meg a second up. and I have Optimum cable 15/2. I may be able to grab 30/5 for $15 more a month.

Is this a shared web hosting package if so if you try to upload that much you will get cut off. Unlimited stuff always has a limit.

well I imagine there has to be a limit SOMEWHERE.. but it would realistically take 6-8 months to upload everything and my website designing friend says they most likely would not care about the space as much as the bandwidth and since it is for private use the BW out of their site would nil.

well I imagine there has to be a limit SOMEWHERE.. but it would realistically take 6-8 months to upload everything and my website designing friend says they most likely would not care about the space as much as the bandwidth and since it is for private use the BW out of their site would nil.

hardly matters what your friend thinks unless he works there -- before you subscribed you should have called or contacted them and asked if there are stipulations in the TOS related to storage space.

just because they advertise unlimited hosting space doesn't mean they'll let you use their site as cheap online storage -- my friend subbed to hostmonster on account of their "unlimited" claims and 2 months later after he'd uploaded about 1.5Tb they canned his account and pointed him to a line in the TOS that stated the unlimited storage applied to website hosting only, and they were not an online backup service.

before you go waste a lot of time uploading your data into what could end up being a black hole, contact them first and confirm that what you plan to do isn't a problem for them.

on the bright side, I do have a recommendation for excellent backup-to-FTP software: SyncBackPro

No no voice but my sister works for CV (sort of) so cable is free and the internet is free except for tax so maybe boost is less through her account. I think its only 15 if you dont have voice.

"Backup of Data
Except where WebHostingPad has expressly agreed in writing to the contrary, customers are solely and entirely responsible, and WebHostingPad is in NO way responsible, for the management and backup of all customer data, and all updates, upgrades, and patches to any software that customers use in connection with WebHostingPad services. Webhostingpad servers are also NOT be used as a backup storage and is only intented for hosting web files."

Well than I guess I will have to host the files for a website. My own private website that no-one else can get into, but a website none the less.

Well than I guess I will have to host the files for a website. My own private website that no-one else can get into, but a website none the less.

Dude, don't even bother wasting your time uploading. I work for a web-hosting company that offers unlimited storage and its not made to be used for backups, period. We also state this in our ToS. The whole point of unlimited storage or bandwidth is to make sure you don't get overages or extra charges for bandwidth or disk space because the sites grown and isn't made to allow people to use resources just to use them.

We do have some legitimate customers that are using a large amount of bandwidth and storage (one comes to mind which is using 3TB of storage). I can gaurantee you pretty much any web-hosting company that offers a lot of disk space (hundreds of GB) or unlimited will have entries in their ToS which doesn't allow it to be used as backup.

If you want unlimited backup I would try something like backblaze:

http://www.backblaze.com/

You can try to rationalize it, but since it's in their TOS they can cancel your account whenever they want if your account usage matches what they've defined. That may happen either on the beginning or end of your 69 day upload period....Do you feel lucky? :p

As the CEO of a webhosting company myself (okay okay, I admit -- mine is a small company!), the whole "Unlimited" thing is 100% gimmick and marketing. Just examine their ToS. I can 99.99% guarantee you that any webhost that offers "unlimited" will have some note in their ToS about what you can and can't use your service for -- only to find that they do not allow backups, file storage, etc ... which is what would mostly make up for high diskspace usage anyway.

Take Dreamhost for example. They offer "Unlimited + 50GB" (same thing as saying "infinite + 1"). Read this: http://www.dreamhost.com/unlimited.html << At least Dreamhost admits it.

If you are looking for serious storage, either (1) use Amazon S2 or (2) get your own dedicated server, colocated preferred. These will be your two cheapest options.

I do know of someone who uses HostGator and apparently has had several terabytes of data on his account for a few years now...and still has not be caught or gotten onto. I think some people out there are one of those 0.01% that are "exempt" or something. I don't know.

I do know of someone who uses HostGator and apparently has had several terabytes of data on his account for a few years now...and still has not be caught or gotten onto. I think some people out there are one of those 0.01% that are "exempt" or something. I don't know.

Or just damn lucky :D

Actually hostgator was my previous choice for hosting but they got knocked out of top 10 standing last year. Maybe they are ignoring him to get their standing back.. unlikely but possible.

Also backblaze says $50 a year.. which isn't so bad if they do 3 years for low 100's but I WOULD actually be setting up at least one site and hosting either my home theater business site or even just as a massive photobucket clone. I currently have 5 photobuckets and the 1MB limit per picture is getting annoying. Would also like to use the divx player to stream some videos off my site without quality restrictions etc. So JUST backup isn't going to cut it.

I have an "unlimited" plan and I was using it to store transcoded movies to stream over the internet with friends. They told me that the hosting wasn't for file hosting and that I had to delete the files as I was using over 1GB on my unlimited account. This was lunarpages, btw.

I will never do unlimited hosting again. It is a scam.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but the company I work for just released a free windows backup program, includes windows 7 support. Backs up to local drives, usb, cd/dvd/bd, nas, etc and it also includes a bunch of storage providers that are specifically there for backup. I know one does 50GB for $50 a year, and unlike some other places like mozy they don't limit upload/download speed.

If you are interested you can download at www.storageline.com no malware or anything it does ask for email address on install but doesn't send you anything to confirm it..

PM me if you have issues

I have an "unlimited" plan and I was using it to store transcoded movies to stream over the internet with friends. They told me that the hosting wasn't for file hosting and that I had to delete the files as I was using over 1GB on my unlimited account. This was lunarpages, btw.

I will never do unlimited hosting again. It is a scam.

1 gig! lol... Even if I use it for completely legitimate website related hosting purposes I will probably have 15-20 gigs of pictures and data files hosted on it.

If you are interested you can download at www.storageline.com no malware or anything it does ask for email address on install but doesn't send you anything to confirm it..
PM me if you have issues

Looks interesting

Google is great at calculating transfer times and speeds -

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=1.5+TB+/+250KB/s

That is perhaps the most useful thing ever put in google calculator.

I know one does 50GB for $50 a year, and unlike some other places like mozy they don't limit upload/download speed.
You would be better off using Amazon S2 for backup storage, as it costs $0.15 per GB.

I found S3 " http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#functionality " and even at $0.15 per GB if I went all out and did 1.5TB its $225.00 a month.

My big question is who the F*<K needs this?

Code:
Storage Used / Month Over 5000 TB	
$.055 per GB

What application would consist of that sort of data storage?

You haven't been to any supercomputing conferences and talked to any of the big labs, have you ? :)

Or, yet a better idea, why don't you buy a cheap 1 or 1.5 TB drive for around $80 bucks, back up all of your files and then store away the drive in a safe location? Seems like a much better idea than paying for a monthly service that would cost nearly as much as one HDD itself, and a much better idea than spending months uploading all of your files on to paid web server and then praying that the account wouldn't be deleted in the future due to a TOS violation.

-R

Back