Web page creation

Dennelly

n00b
Hello..I just set up a server 2008 box and I would like to use it as a web server. I have no experience in making a website whats so ever. I would like to know if anyone knows a good piece of software that's not to hard for a simple site nothing too extra.

Hello..I just set up a server 2008 box and I would like to use it as a web server. I have no experience in making a website whats so ever. I would like to know if anyone knows a good piece of software that's not to hard for a simple site nothing too extra.
That's too vague. You'll need to provide more specifics, especially on if you imagine any part of the website polling a database or external data sources. You'll also need to read up on steps to harden a web server.

When you have some real details to share, post them. Then PM a mod to move this to the "Webmastering and Programming" forum.

Well, download a free program like Kompozer which gives you a wysiwyg editor. Makes creating web sites very easy.

Install the IIS role on the Server through Server Manager.

Create a folder somewhere on the machine and through the IIS control panel, point to where your index files are.

Type in the IP of the web server on any machine on your lan and there's your web site.

Getting it onto the Internet is another story that we'll let you figure out what you get this far :D

I already got the dns and everything working + port forwarding. I can access the site but I'll check out kompozer it looks pretty good from what I see. I don't need anything extreme just something simple so I learn how to manage it and get it secure and such.

Back