Web Hosting company suggestions

I'm looking for a linux hosting package with full root access (hopefullu) and price is an issue. I'm guessing that a VPS might be the way to go but it seems like a lot of these only offer SSD drives which drasticlly reduces storage (from unlimited) to some pretty low numbers. IDK why I would need an SSD for a web server unless I'm handling some pretty major traffic or tons of small files and or with almost no RAM - all pretty much non-issues.

Anyone know of some good Linux VPS providers that don't have a 40% premium for their marketing or fancy control panels (will be using command line for much/most of the admin so no need to waste $$ on those features).

I'm also trying to stay away from the nightmare companies as I've read some horror stories that seems to follow some companies around but I don't remember which ones they were.

Anyone have experience with a good Linux VPS provider?

Just use Google Compute Engine? I recently moved from Amazon AWS to GCE and it has been great so far.

Just use Google Compute Engine? I recently moved from Amazon AWS to GCE and it has been great so far.

Thanks. I'll have to take a look at that. I've been outof the market for hosting for some time so I don't know what is even out there. This looks pretty interesting!

Linode and DigitalOcean offer $5/month entries, and Linode's is 1GB/1Core/20GB. They are probably the best two VPS providers in the world, and I've been using them for years.

Vultr and Amazon Lightsail are also very good. ChicagoVPS has some ridiculous deals on dedicated stuff.

if you don't want to manage the server, mddhosting is superb. otherwise, digital ocean.

Go bare metal if you can. Packet.net Type-0 box is probably your best bet. It tends to perform better than the equivalent $80 DigitalOcean or Linode VPS for $33/mo without the virtualization overhead or bad neighbours.

You can then utilize block storage to add all the storage volumes you could want with or without snapshots and your choice of paying for higher or lower IOPS.

If you do opt for Digital Ocean I'd suggest staying under the $40/mo droplets as the performance for your money doesn't scale very well after that. They also have block storage if you need more space than the SSDs provide.

I got a yearly plan through woothosting.com. It's not too expensive, but only 60gb of space. Pretty much everything is available, they give you the option of using tun/tap/ppp so you can set it or disable it without opening tickets.

Now I just gotta figure out what i'm doing with the damn thing.

I'm looking for an account with LOTS oh space but minimal processing power OR if there is a way to get a "normal" tier 1 or 2 plan with linode or digital ocean (let's call this Plan A)and tie it to some online storage plan that offers like 250GB, 500GB, 1TB or 2TB of NON SSD storage (Call This Plan B). The access of the large storage would be very minimal by one or maybe 2 users at a time. This is for access to personal data like music, photos or video while on the go. So plan A would be the "processing power/CPU" and Plan B (250Gb - 2TB) would be the NAS/SAN attached to the unit.

I would like to be able to encrypt all the data on the larger storage service and all decryption can be handled on the client side device, so broadcasting encrypted files of a generic extension with the client knowing what that unencrypted filename/extension is, the other key (symmetric encryption). So it draws from a local (client side) database to pull the encrypted file, pulls down the data sequentially or in sequential chunks to stream parts as they arrive - then re-combine when all data is received - so a 8GB file can be received in 100MB encrypted chunks in sequential order, decrypted and played on device, with all files combined to create single file upon arrival of all parts. This doesn't have much to do on the server side besides hosting files and possibly a small database being updated and accessed by the client for browsing content available on the server. It is kind of like container encryption but more versatile (and secure) and easier to manage as a total system.

If you need lots of space, you may be better off with 2 accounts - one with your host, the other just for cloud storage.

Storage on a host gets very expensive, compared to just having a data store someplace else (like AWS)

I moved from Bluehost to Amazon Lightsail
https://lightsail.aws.amazon.com

I must say I like it very much and price is based on usage and not fixed and appeared to be lower then on BH. I pay like 10Eur month for 2 web sites hosted from 1 Linux instance with 50-100 visits a day each.

I'm curious how the seedbox providers can give terabytes (1-2TB depending upon provider) of space for the price some hosting companies give you 40GB of SSD. I wonder if a seedbox service could be used for storage in conjunction with a hosting plan

Digital Ocean is great, and they have block storage now so you can add more storage to your VPS without having to spend more on the base hardware specs.

I'm curious, what do all of these hosts above offer that I can't get out of my less then $20 a month 1and1 plan? I've been with 1and1 about 12 years and have never had any problems.

As of late, I host three separate WordPress sites... only one of which is an actual production website that generates traffic. The other two are for tinkering with themes, plugins, and custom code.

I'm curious, what do all of these hosts above offer that I can't get out of my less then $20 a month 1and1 plan? I've been with 1and1 about 12 years and have never had any problems.

As of late, I host three separate WordPress sites... only one of which is an actual production website that generates traffic. The other two are for tinkering with themes, plugins, and custom code.

12 years with one company is quite a while in the hosing business, have you changed anything up with the plan?

12 years with one company is quite a while in the hosing business, have you changed anything up with the plan?

Up until messing with Wordpress, I have basically just used it to host my own content, store files, and for email all for around $4 a month. I have had websites up from time to time but nothing that I was legitimately doing anything with.

Anyway, ever since working with Wordpress, I changed my plan up and upgraded to a plan with more available PHP memory and a free SSL certificate.

If you are happy with your current 12yo hosting then I guess there is no reason to change it. I was happy customer of Bluehost for 10 years. But I always wanted more control over my server environment for the same small money I payed. When Amazon Lighsail started where I could have full; blown Linux server for only 10EUR month I jumped right away to it and cannot be more happy then I am now. Great hosting company

I've got a good deal of experience with a handful of hosting services and 1and1.com, for their support and scalability, is my favorite.

Back