web/email server setup

mprover

Limp Gawd
I have a web/ftp/email server running on a win2k3 box. Ive been using an ip to access web, email , and ftp (http://ip , whatever@ip for email, ftp://ip ) . I recently purchased a domain name. How do I point the domain to the server. Does it need to be done at the site where I registered my domain name?

do I have to do anything for the MX server or something I read about for email ?

MX is just a record, not a server.

First, you gotta point your domain name (this is done from whoever your registrar is) to a nameserver that you have access to your zone info on. Everydns.net is a great example of a nameserver provider (Free!)

so, register with everydns.net and create records for your servers. then they will say "our name servers are (i think) ns1.everydns.net, ns2.everydns.net, and ns3.everydns.net." go to your domain registrar (like godaddy.com or network solutions) and you should have a place in there where you can change your DNS servers for your domain. change them to the ones everydns.net told you to use. in a little while all your DNS records should start working.

what should I choose for record type and record value in each of the respective fields.

Thank!

Im doing a web/email/ftp server, each service works with the IP of the server, so I know there are no LAN issues. At http://www.everydns.net , I have this as the one entry. Specifically, I watned to know if the type and value fields are correct. I beleive they are, but I just wanted to make sure before messing with the registrar stuff.

Host T type Value MX TTL
www.audiologyandspeech.com A 63.251.148.127 3600

yeah. add a record for audiologyandspeech.com A 63.251.148.127 3600

that way if you don't type the www in you still get there. if you need to create an MX record you want to point it to the ip your mail server is using and assign it a priority. something like 20 will do.

thanks guys, I think Ive got it. Would yall mind looking over this entry ?

Host Type Value MX TTL
audiologyandspeech.com A 63.251.148.127 3600
www.audiologyandspeech.com A 63.251.148.127 3600
audiologyandspeech.com MX audiologyandspeech.com 10 3600

THANKS!

Back