Web Creator Wants to Implement a "Contract" for the Internet

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the world wide web, has been busy. In September, he announced plans for a distinct, decentralized web, and now he's unveiling plans for an internet "contract". The plan calls for a set of principles that governments, companies, and citizens should follow. Among other thing, Tim believes governments shouldn't selectively deny citizens internet access, and says that authorities should recognize people's right to privacy. Facebook, Google, and the French government already announced support for the contract, but it's unclear if other tech giants or governments will sign on.

The web was designed to bring people together and make knowledge freely available. Everyone has a role to play to ensure the web serves humanity. By committing to the following principles, governments, companies and citizens around the world can help protect the open web as a public good and a basic right for everyone.

I'm thinking Google and FB only announced support because they realize it's a snowballs chance in hell of it actually going far enough to threaten their business models.

That, and the principles are very vague, as far as I can tell. Government meddling is also financially detrimental to them.

Agreed. Now these days "Free does not mean Free" anymore in corporate society. It's a feel good gimmick to the masses. Yay! go big brother :)

totally non binding item that everyone can say "YAY look at us we support this!!!" and then totally ignore it and wipe their butt with it the second its convenient?

yup- this is totally going to be picked up by every government and major corporation .. and all for the wrong reasons.

5 minutes playing around with Solid and said fk this, I'm out.

Sorry Timmy-boy. I don't think this one will stick. Nice try.

I'm thinking Google and FB only announced support because they realize it's a snowballs chance in hell of it actually going far enough to threaten their business models.

One of the first things I thought when I saw their names included. Really? FB and Google?

One of the first things I thought when I saw their names included. Really? FB and Google?

Sure. To catch a thief, hire a thief.

But, that usually works better before rather than after the thief owns all your stuff (data).

This is a nice fantasy, but in the real world, this won't work. Any plan which depends on human nature being something other than what it is, will fail.
Yes, except a plan which includes changing human nature. This is why man merging with machine will be our salvation. The only way out of misery actually.

So wait, they want you to sign up for something that is not even formulated yet? This is like signing a blank piece of paper to be later filled in. Of course FB and Google are signing up, they are the ones wanting to fill in that blank page.

The web was designed to bring people together and make knowledge freely available.

This will be difficult.

There is a set of knowledge that those who run Google, Facebook and many governments don't want available. They absolutely don't want people coming together to talk and debate freely about this stuff either.

This is likely a sugar coated corporate or commie/corporate suppository.

Poorly designed website.
found this
CITIZENS WILL
Be creators and collaborators on the web so the web has rich and relevant content for everyone.

Build strong communities that respect civil discourse and human dignity so that everyone feels safe and welcome online.

Fight for the web so the web remains open and a global public resource for people everywhere, now and in the future.

Point #1 - meaningless fluff
Point #2 - Be subject to selectively enforced Hate speech rules
Point #3 - Agree to not undo this idea even if you later realize its a bad idea.

GOVERNMENTS WILL
Ensure everyone can connect to the internet so that anyone, no matter who they are or where they live, can participate actively online.

Keep all of the internet available, all of the time so that no one is denied their right to full internet access.

Respect people’s fundamental right to privacy so everyone can use the internet freely, safely and without fear.

Point #1 - Government shall not get between Silicon Valley corporations and the world's citizen.
Point #2 - Don't interfere with corporate access to the world's citizenry
Point #3 - Only corporations can data mine people and governments have to pay us for it.

COMPANIES WILL
Make the internet affordable and accessible to everyone so that no one is excluded from using and shaping the web.

Respect consumers’ privacy and personal data so people are in control of their lives online.

Develop technologies that support the best in humanity and challenge the worst so the web really is a public good that puts people first.

Point #1 - We will monetize your data
Point #2 - You won't have a clue who we're selling your data to
Point #3 - We're going to police anti-corporate talk under the guise of hate-speech

Yes, except a plan which includes changing human nature. This is why man merging with machine will be our salvation. The only way out of misery actually.
Another fantasy. We will just bring our flaws with us, and they will be amplified by the machine part, just as the Internet does today in a more limited way. Human nature will change, but only slowly as we mature as a race. There is no magic wand we can wave that will make it happen any faster.

Back