Web Browsing causing loss of Wireless network access for a period of time

Dalexx

Limp Gawd
I'm still wrapping my head around this as it doesn't make sense. I'll try to keep it brief while covering all the things I have tried.

The basic symptom is a PC that is connected via a wireless connection will randomly stop communicating with the router when trying to go to a webpage. A little more testing shows that if I do a endless ping to the router, I will stop talking to the router for 10-45 secs.

The kicker here, is that this only happens sometimes when I try to go to a webpage. If I endless ping the router, it will ping steady for 30 mins straight, go to a web page or two and I'll lose connection. Also to note, if I make it to a webpage like netflix without issue, I can stream a movie for 2 hours straight no problem. Web pages that give this issue are all mostly mainstream sites, like Hulu, Netflix, Facebook, CNN, MSN, etc

I can also fire up a game like WoW, Elder Scrolls Online, Battlefield and log in and sit there and never get connected. But, open up a couple of web pages and disconnected. This happens With IE11, Edge and Chrome.

To add to the excitement, it only happens on Wireless, if I connect to the ethernet port, no issues. So I tried a diferent wirless card and disconnects. I even had a Trendnet Wireless adapter that connects to your ethernet port and it also gets disconnected.

Finally, I said screw it and wiped the system and installed a fresh Win10. Soon as I got it up, installed the wireless drivers and tested the internet and still disconnects on webpages.

So I'm at a loss, 3 different wireless NICs and a fresh install didn't resolve the issue. What could web browsing be doing that is freaking out it's connection. Another side note, 2 other PCs that are using wireless don't have this issues.

What browser and extensions?

*edit* nm see you did mention.

Got me stumped here - DNS is the only thing I can think of

Trace route to that site.. see if you have a bad hop in there somewhere that might be common to all these sites.. now do you loose all network traffic during this time?

5.0 or 2.4G wireless?
Both. I've tried running on just 2.4 and just 5.0 and same results

I think I might have a possible answer. The router is a MIMO router and the adapters I had tried where both MIMO adapters. But I was able to find a old plain 11n adapter and so far that one hasn't had the issue.
I took the other adapter and put it in a different PC and it's losing connections. The other 2 PCs that work on wireless without an issue are laptops with just basic 11N adapters

I've tried turning off all the "cool" features on the router and limiting it just 11n on 20MHz on Channel 11, but it's still dropping the connection when web browsing.

Last edited:
Check your event viewer for the wireless card driver crashing. Latest windows update did not like my intel wifi card drivers, and they were crashing every 15-30 minutes. Pulled the latest driver from intel directly, and the problem went away.

Back